13 March 2007

Mine, All Mine

This poem I came up with on the spot 4 years ago. My husband, boyfriend at the time, and I were standing outside my mother's house after watching a movie called Identity. In the movie, there was a poem which really stuck in my head.

As I was going up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away

Using the tone and rhythm of a child's poem or song in order to express a relatively creepy idea appeals to me. I've always thought the shower scene in Psycho would have actually been scarier if they would have used a bunch of kids singing You are my sunshine.

Anyway, we were standing outside indulging in our after-movie cigarette, and I was sort of staring off into space. My line of vision rested on these red flowers my mother had planted. They were single stem flowers with tiny red flowers bunched together in a cone shape, and they were planted in two straight, diagonal lines. The poem just popped into my head. I said it. My husband said I was scary. It's good for your significant other to be a little bit scared of you. Many problems are prevented that way.

Little red flowers all in a row
Little red flowers watch how they grow
Little red flowers all in a line
Little red flowers mine, all mine

Little red flowers stuck down in the mud
Little red flowers the color of blood
Little red flowers bleeding so fine
Little red flowers mine, all mine.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should have that poem embroidered on a pillow, with a border of pretty red flowers. It'll look nice and perfectly innocent, until someone actually reads it!
    Oh, and remind me to stay on your good side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love the idea of embroidering it on some sort of foo-foo pillow. That's brilliant, and as soon as I learn how to embroider or sew in any way, shape, or form, I'm going to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!