23 March 2007

Words Words Words

I am just starting a book bought years ago: Word Histories and Mysteries. This book, encyclopedic in nature, details the origins of a couple hundred words. I've flipped through it randomly over the past one or two years, picking out a word here and there, but I've determined that it's time I go through it a bit more consistently. I don't think I could actually read it cover to cover, but I'm going to try for two words a day. Here are a couple I found interesting today. I'm summarizing here, so it's not quite as witty as the book's version.

Dungeon: One etymology assumes the word dungeon is based on a Germanic word referring to an underground house constructed of dung. Lovely.

Mob: Etymology - Latin, mobile vulgas, meaning 'the fickle masses, the excitable common people'. Then the word changed to mobile meaning the masses, and finally to mob in the 18th century where it went back to the tone of contempt in the original latin.

School: Originally the word school, schole in Greek, meant a place of leisure. Passionate about learning, the Greeks actually felt that time spent discussing ideas with other learned men was fun and relaxing. Hmmm....wish my students felt that way.

Now, I promise not to record too many of them here, but you may see a word now and again.

2 comments:

  1. I love word etymologies, so go on and share as many as you want! I like the "school" root. All classes should be held under a big tree somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big trees with no birds. Birds nicely squatting on a branch above my head freak me out...on multiple levels actually.

    But you can sit under the tree and I'll sit a bit away and talk loudly...er, in my normal tone of voice.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!