27 June 2007

Self-Imposed Frustration

I have taken up a new sport: Golf! I never would have thought that I would enjoy hitting a ball, walking after it, hitting a ball, walking after it, and on and on. And it defies logic that a person would enjoy doing something which they are about as proficient at as a sumo wrestler running the 400 yard dash. And yet, here I am, out golfing for the second week in a row, and not even close enough to par to think about keeping score.

It all started when my great-aunt talked me into a charity golf outing for my old grade school. In order to not embarrass myself completely, I went out three times prior to the outing. The first time, I did pretty good. The second time, not so great. The third time, sucked. The outing went okay, playing a scramble format where you use the best ball really helps with the nerves. You know you can suck it up and still be okay. Now, I've gone out one more time, giving me a grand total of 54 holes. And of those 54 holes, I've been happy with about 4 of them. But I'll be going out for more of this self-inflicted frustration as soon as I can.

Now that I've found this new addiction I must draw others to it - to share in my joy, my frustration, my misery, and most importantly to help me search for my ball.

4 comments:

  1. I did really well the first time out, too. People told me I had real potential. But things have progressively gone down hill ever since. Every time I golf, I do worse than the time before!

    But as you said, it isn't about the score but rather about the beer and the people you are with. Heineken for me, please...lots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I forgot to mention that my golfing has won me an award! At a charity event, I got an award for being the worst golfer there...no kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Things are looking a bit different around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought it was time for a change!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!