27 March 2008

Atonement by Ian McEwan

I should like this book. But I don't.

I am very frustrated with the plot-line which revolves around people telling and maintaining a blatant, unnecessary lie. The case of (forced) mistaken identity coupled with what I consider to be an unnatural reaction by one of the characters added in to a rather conveniently corresponding set of circumstances is just ticking me off.

I'm about half-way through - and I had to force myself to read after the second chapter - and I just don't think I can read anymore. I am not good at not finishing a book. I have finished books which made me want to gouge my eyes out with my own fingers. But I told myself about a year ago that with all of the books out there, I was not going to waste my time on books I didn't enjoy.

There is, however, another possibility. I'm just in some sort of frame of mind which makes this specific point in time not the appropriate time to read this particular book. So, has anyone else read this book and if so, what was your opinion?

Buy  |  Borrow  |  Accept  |  Avoid

5 comments:

  1. I've not read it, Trish, but one of my students just told me what a great movie it is. I am curious now.

    I bought Eat, Pray, Love on Friday, and I can't put it down. Love it! My God, this is my story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard quite a bit about that book - as in, "loved it" or "it was great" but I have no idea what it is actually about. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like Atonement either. Blah, blech, gag, ugh. I put it down halfway through, figuring I'd given it a good enough chance. It seemed short on plot and long on...description. Not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to hear that it wasn't just me. Heck, I didn't even make it halfway through, just a few chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh. I've read this twice. It's one of my favorite novels. I can't tell you why because that would spoil it, but the plodding effect of that first half is purposeful, almost as if the narrator doesn't want to make it to the second half of the story. Incredible book. Not everyone agrees. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!