13 May 2009

Book Review: Pendragon Books 2-4

Title: The Lost City of Faar
Author: D.J. MacHale
Published: 2003 Pages: 384
Genre: Young Adult Literature
Rating: 3/5

The second book in the series, The Lost City of Faar takes readers to a new territory, Cloral, which I must admit is my favorite so far. Once again, Bobby Pendragon, Traveler, must save the world, specifically Cloral, from the evil machinations of Saint Dane, a Traveler intent on creating chaos in the territories.


Title: The Never War
Author: D.J. MacHale
Published: 2003 Pages: 336
Genre: Young Adult Literature
Rating: 3/5

In The Never War, Saint Dane takes the fight a bit closer to home for Bobby, when he shows up on First Earth, New York City 1937. Tommy guns, gangsters in high rises, female pilots, and Nazis each have a role in book 3 of the Pendragon series.



Title: The Reality Bug
Author: D.J. MacHale
Published: 2003 Pages: 375
Genre: Young Adult Literature
Rating: 2.5/5

Book 4 introduces readers to Veelox, a territory with advanced technology that has allowed the population to desert reality for imagination. How do you get an entire world to turn away from perfection? The book goes back and forth between the real world and the world of the mind, and because of this, is full of quite interesting scenarios.


I have now read the first four books and the series, and while I'm not as impressed as I was in the beginning, I still plan on reading the remaining six books. There are ten territories and so, ten books. The tenth hasn't come out yet, and the ninth still isn't available in paperback, but I have the first 8 on my shelf. Back to the "I'm not as impressed" problem. This could be entirely my fault; I mean, I read the first four books in two days. The problem could just be system overload.

On a side note, a few of the books reminded me of other stories and I wanted to jot a few down. Plot spoilers ahead.

1. Cloral rising out of the sea gave me a real Stargate Atlantis feel.
2. Veelox is a human created version of The Matrix...and I think was on Stargate SG-1.
3. The Never War with female pilots, Nazis, etc. reminded me of Indiana Jones.
4. I think the plot of Denduron was on Stargate Atlantis too...or maybe SG-1.

Actually I think that there are many similarities between either Stargate and Pendragon, which in a way makes sense - going to new places and helping them solve their problems, Saint Dane is the Goa'uld/Wraith, and so on. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this, perhaps nowhere, but it popped into my head and so on to the blog it goes.

Ah, young adult literature of the sci-fi variety and Stargate...I'm such a 12 year old boy. :)

Buy  |  Borrow  |  Accept  |  Avoid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me baby!