14 May 2009

Booking Through Thursday

Book Gluttony!


Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?

I have to admit that I have absolutely no control. I buy books almost as often as I buy groceries, ten times more often than I buy clothes. It's a bit pitiful. My To Be Read (TBR) pile rivals Mt. Everest. Actually saying that I have a TBR pile is insincere. I have TBR shelves...and I have unread books mixing in with read books on the other shelves. I don't think my unread outnumber my read quite yet, but it's a close call these days.
I admire the controlled buyer, the ones who go to the bookstore with a particular book in mind, buy only that book, and proceed to read it prior to buying their next book. But for me it's an impossibility. I read on a whim, rarely if ever planning on what book I'm going to read next. Even for the book challenges I have recently discovered I'm addicted to, I can't seem to plan out what books to read; I give myself a list of possibilities and allow for flexibility.
The other style of reader I admire but can not morph into is the Library Reader. God bless those who don't need to own the books they read. That is also not me. I have to own them, smell them, put them on my shelf and read them later. According to my Library Thing, I own 1462 books. I know, it's a bit weird. I have gotten much much better on getting rid of books since I've found BookMooch. Of course that works both ways because as I've been sending books off to other Moochers, I've been receiving books back.
Eh, I could have worse habits.

2 comments:

  1. What a huge number there!!! You must have a personal library at home already.. Whoaa.. I admire u then for also having a TBR shelves.. ;)
    Have a happy day & take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JonJon. I know it's a bit ridiculous, but I seriously love books.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!