31 May 2009

Weekly Geeks: Guilty Pleasures


Uh-Oh, Weekly Geeks is asking us to reveal our deep, dark secret: What is our Guilty Pleasure? Typically I would say trashy romance novels, but Weekly Geeks wants our non-reading guilty pleasure.
Mine is a bit ironic, considering, but I think my non-reading guilty pleasure is the computer. I spend an inordinate amount of time sitting on my couch, notebook on my lap, eyes glued to the screen.
Every day I probably spent at least two to three hours online. And not necessarily early in the morning or late at night. Middle of the day, sun shining, I can be found...sitting on my couch, notebook on my lap, eyes glued to the screen. Ridiculous! There are three online activities that take up time. Here they are in order of time consumed:
#3 World of Warcraft
Yep, what can I say? My cousin bought this for me last Christmas and I was almost immediately addicted. I couldn't really explain why, but I think it has something to do with the quests. I'm not particularly goal-oriented in real life but there is a real sense of satisfaction completing those little tasks in a fake world.
#2 Facebook
I don't post on Facebook often; I'm a lurker, reading everyone else's status updates and the such not. I also recently was suckered into playing Mafia Wars which is no World of Warcraft but still oddly satisfying as I'm rather motivated by leveling.
#1 Blogs
The time I spend reading and writing blogs is...well, I shudder to think of it. As a matter of fact, I will speak of it no more.

10 comments:

  1. I'm subscribed to about 500 blogs but I didn't write about them. I wrote about my DVD collection instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I spend too much time online too, but never though to include it.
    Happy Weekly Geeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think for us, it doesn't seem like a guilty pleasure. My first thought was tv and movies; my second thought was sleeping; then I realized I was spending quite a bit of time thinking about what I was going to write on my blog and a lightbulb went off in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to 2 out of three - Facebook lurking and all things blog related!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...I too put that my blog is a guilty pleasure. I'm not really embarrased that I like it, but I do spend a lot of time doing it and reading all these other blogs.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to check out that Mafia Wars on FB, have seen many friends playing it :-)

    Love your blog design, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Louise! I just updated it yesterday. If you do Mafia Wars, be sure to add me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I spend too much time online too. I shouldn't be on here right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris - It's funny, isn't it? I mean, I know that I spend too much time online, but I have absolutely no plans to change that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a good one... and it's true: it's addictive, it makes us happy, and yet... guilty pleasure, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!