11 August 2009

Dewey's Read-a-Thon

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon is coming, and for the first time ever, I'm doing it. I almost joined up for the April Read-a-Thon, but I was just starting out in the book blogging world and I was very unsure about the whole situation. But no more. I'm ready to read, blog, and comment for 24 hours straight......I think. Yeah, yeah, I am.

The read-a-thon will run on October 24 and 25, which is quite a long time from now so I'm not even close to being ready to pick out my books and the such not, but I wouldn't mind getting some suggestions. Reading for 24 hours straight sounds like a task that leans towards shorter, exciting works of fiction rather than longer works and nonfiction. If anyone has any ideas on what I should read, I would love to hear them.

Anyone who has participated before should also feel free to give advice on the best ways to participate. I'm 99% positive that I want to be a Reader, but how much time did you put into Cheerleading as a Reader?

Everyone should head over to the FAQs page for more information on the read-a-thon. I have a feeling that the more of us who participate, the easier that day will be.

6 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you'll be participating, Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trish! Any tips on how to last 24 hours or what to post on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though we HEART cheerleaders and need as many of them as possible, I'm not sure if I could handle being both a reader and a cheerleader. The hardest part of the read-a-thon, for me, is to find a balance between time on the computer and time spent reading. There's so much to do online and it's all so exciting that it's easy to let the hours fly by without even looking at a book :P

    Also, don't worry if you don't last the whole 24 hours. Very few people make it without a nap at some point or other. The goal is to have as much fun as possible, and if you're too tired and the whole thing becomes painful, then the purpose will have been defeated :P

    As for what to post, here's an example of what people include in their updates. But it's up to you, really! You also get to decide if you'll update very hour, every two hours, or even just a couple of times during the whole read-a-thon.

    I'll shut up now, but before I do, I posted a list of short and engaging books here :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Nymeth! That is awesome advice and it's good to know I won't be faulted if I take a nap! Thanks for the list too. I think the Canongate Myth series sounds fun, and I Was a Rat by Philip Pullman has been on my recommendation list for awhile.

    I thought I was going to just let the books fall where they may that weekend, but now I'm getting kind of excited about making a special pile for the read-a-thon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love-love-love this pic for the read-a-thon. I might use it on my own blog (if that's okay) as I haven't seen that one floating around yet. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christina - I know! Isn't it the best pic? I almost want to redesign my blog around it, or at least one page. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!