01 August 2009

Weekly Geeks: A Book Theme Song

Weekly Geeks prompt for August 1:

Music is a pretty amazing thing. It can take us back to the past, make us want to dance, put us in a romantic mood, or simply lift our spirits. But sometimes, music does something a little different for me: it reminds me of a book.

Yes, there is nothing more geeky than to be riding down the road listening to the radio and suddenly thinking "That song matches [book title] perfectly!". But that is exactly what happens to me sometimes. For example, whenever I hear Phil Collins' song 'Can't Stop Loving You,' I immediately think of Elizabeth Gaskell's novel North and South. To me, it is exactly the kind of song that describes the two main characters' relationship.

So, my fellow Weekly Geeks, your challenge this week is to come up with at least one song-book match. It could remind you of a theme from the book, a specific part of the plot, or even one of the characters (a sort of theme song, if you will). Be sure to include samples of the lyrics and the reason why that song reminds you of that book.

Love it! But danged if my brain isn't drawing a blank right now. I know this moment has happened - a song brings to mind a book - but I can't remember a single connection at this moment. Perhaps because the connection is too fleeting, perhaps because my brain doesn't work too well at 9am after late nights, who knows. So I have a plan: I'm going to start up the iPod while staring at my book shelves, listen to the first three songs and make connections...

Connection #1 Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics and Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice

"Everybody's looking for something
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused"

The desire, desperation, and depravity that comes through in these lyrics immediately brought to mind vampires, and more specifically it called to mind Louis and Lestat, the main characters in Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire. I haven't read this book in years -we're talking 7 years at least, probably more like 12 or 14, and yet it was the first book I thought of when I heard this song. Louis and Lestat, each in their own specific and highly different way, want the same thing - to make sense of themselves and their place in the world and to have others understand as well. That same self-sadness is present in the song. And of course, the semi-insane sexiness that permeates the mythology of vampires is also part of the song. In each case, people are desiring something that is not necessarily good for them or wanting for the wrong reason.

Connection #2 Seether by Veruca Salt and Wicked by Gregory Maguire

I try to keep her on a short leash
I try to calm her down
I try to ram her into the ground
Can't fight the Seether
Can't fight the Seether
Can't fight the Seether
I can't see her til I'm foaming at the mouth

Seether is neither big nor small
Seether is the center of it all, I try to rock her in my cradle
I try to knock her out
I try to cram back in my mouth

Seether, to me, is primarily a woman talking about how difficult it can be to control her more bitchy side, her anger, the kind of anger a woman is not supposed to have. The Seether is the little me inside that wants to come out and kick some ass. Wicked falls directly along those lines with the lead character, Elphaba, who is a strong female. She is trying to stand up for what's right, but everyone just wants her to keep her mouth shut. Her anger is justified, but it does cause problems in part because she can't control it. She speaks out a time or two when it would have been more productive to hold her tongue and take a more manipulative or underhanded approach to the situation. But sometimes, you just can't fight the Seether.

Connection #3 So What by Pink and every Nora Roberts book that has a lead female character coming out of a bad relationship

So what
I'm still a rock star
I've got my rock moves
And I don't need you
And guess what
I'm having more fun
And now that we're done
I'm gonna show you
Tonight, I'm all right, I'm just fine
And you're a tool so,
So what I'm a rock star
I've got my rock moves
I don't want you tonight

You weren't there
You never were
You want it all
But that's not fair
I gave you life
I gave my all
You weren't there
You let me fall

Really this would work for almost every romance novel where the lead character has had a past relationship. These relationships are typically emotionally abusive (sometimes physically) where the male love interest was interested in the lead female character because she was a) a pure virgin who would be good for his image; b) a nice piece of eye candy; and/or c) easy to control. She, of course, does everything possible to make the relationship work, but the boyfriend/husband is a no-good ass. The female lead manages to leave this man and finds herself and the strength necessary to carry on an adult relationship with the (not-so) far from perfect lead male character. And she is "having more fun" and he really was "a tool" who was "never there".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tons of fun. I kind of want to keep going and see what else I come up with. Someone should host this as a weekly meme!!!!

9 comments:

  1. It would be a fun meme :)
    I kind of borrowed your idea for mine - hope you don't mind!
    Happy Weekly Geeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some great connections considering you were stuck. I'm still trying to think of mine too.

    I agree with Maree, it would be a fun meme to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maree - I don't mind at all. Happy Weekly Geeks to you too.

    Lady Lazarus - Thanks. I was a bit surprised it worked so well, but I lucked out on my first three songs. I'm not sure what would have happened if Bach had burst out of the iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would be a fun meme - I concur.

    Good job, I'm going yo try doing the same and see what I come up with. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another Cookie Crumbles - Good luck! I'm sure you'll come up with something great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did a fine job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those were awesome, especially the first one. Here's one of my favorite mashups using Sweet Dreams Are Made of This

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT5eJwgAtvY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen - Thanks for stopping by!

    Just a Reading Fool - Don't you just love the Sweet Dreams song?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!