16 August 2009

Weekly Geeks: Give it One More Try


This Week's Geek is offering participants the opportunity to give a book or author a second chance. A little voice in my brain screamed "don't make me do this, don't make me do this" as I read the prompt:

There have been times in my life where I reread a book (or author) I hated--or thought I hated--but the second time around ended up loving. Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever changed your mind about a book or author the second time around? Have you ever given a book or author a second chance?

If you have, I'd love to hear your stories. Blog about your experience(s) in giving second chances.If you haven't, I'd like you to consider giving a book or an author a second chance. You can blog about your intentions to do so--or if you're a quick reader, maybe you can even squeeze something in!

Can't think of a single book or author? Don't worry, you can stretch this one to include movies or music if you prefer. It is just very interesting to me how time can change tastes and perceptions. How subjective the reading experience is and always will be.

I don't know that there has ever been a time where I gave a book a second chance. For the first 25 years of my life I finished every book I started whether I was enjoying it or not, but even that has ended. I'm not sure about authors. I can't actually think of a specific time I've read and disliked an author but then gone on to read a different book by the same author. I know a lot of people "read authors", going through an author's list of books, but that's just not how I read. I'm about the book, not the author, so it's not often I pick books by author.

This prompt did intrigue me, so I thought I might try a re-read. At first my mind jumped to the short list of books that I've always felt I should like because of my profession: The Red Badge of Courage, The Jungle, and Heart of Darkness. I read all three of these books while in high school and did not like any of them. As I got older and became more involved in "Literature" and "Education", it seemed to me that most of my colleagues enjoyed these books, but the memory of them kept me from every trying to re-read.

For this challenge, however, I'm thinking of something different. I did finish all three of my high school dislikes. I did not finish Ian McEwan's Atonement. I put it down not even half-way through because I was so frustrated with it. Yet, it seems that many people like McEwan, so out of the four books that popped into my head for this challenge, I'm going to try to re-read the one I never actually finished.

Wish me luck!

11 comments:

  1. Ugh, I read The Red Badge of Courage in high school, too. I finished it, but I definitely didn't like it, and I think I would need some persuading (possibly of the monetary persuasion) to ever consider reading it again. ;-)

    I've got Atonement stashed somewhere in my teetering TBR mountain. I'd love to know what you think of it, should you manage to finish it. So-- good luck! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't re-read books much either and am always amazed by people who have read a book even more than twice.
    If you want my suggestion... I would say of those 3 HS books, go with Red Badge of Courage. and if you must try a McEwan: On Chesil Beach. because it's SHORT. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean re. Atonement. I did finish it though, and this would be the one I should revisit, as it is one of the worst books I've ever read. An author like James Patterson rubs me the total wrong way as well, and while I've read (and disliked) a fair number of his books, I don't think I am willing to read them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan - Maybe I should reward myself with two new books if I re-read Red Badge!

    Care - Books I like, I re-read over and over again, but I've never tried to re-read a book I didn't like.

    Louise - I'm so glad to hear that it's not just me with Atonement; I was so frustrated in the beginning. I think I only made it to his arrest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what, now that you mentioned it I didn't like The Red Badge of Courage or Heart of Darkness either. Isn't that funny? Anyway, I was thinking and thinking about the comment you left on my blog about having a mini Moby Dick reading club and then Care left a comment that she would definitely join and that made me think some more that maybe we could actually pull something off together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a whole stack of books I've read and didn't like but feel timing was a factor so I keep them around for a re-read. Unfortunately there so many other books to read first! Hope you find something you like by McEwan. I really liked Atonement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lilly - See, I knew those were painful books to read! And if you are serious about the Moby Dick reading club, let me know. I'm in!

    Trish - Timing is everything, isn't it? I've been assured numerous times by different people that I would like Atonement. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't finish Atonement either. It's strange - because its so obviously beautifully written. The short paragraph describing the main character - the young girl's - toy farm blew me away. But the story just didn't catch and hold me.

    I also tried t read Saturday by McEwan. If you are thinking of trying that one, by any chance, stay away from the NYRB review! They tore it apart and I couldn't take it seriously after.

    ReplyDelete
  9. t. olmsted - See, now I just have to go to that review!..... hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Atonement this year and loved it, I'd already seen the movie though so I don't know how much that affected the reading

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen - On more than one occasion I've wondered if I saw the movie, I would like the book more. That seems antithetical to my usual way of looking at things - typically I read the book first - but in this case, seeing James McAvoy while reading may just be the motivation I need.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!