22 August 2009

Weekly Geeks: It's About Time


This week's geek could not have been more appropriate. The assignment:
I think just about every reader has a least one book that they've been
meaning to read for awhile (months or even years) but, for one reason or another, they just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe it's a book a friend recommended last year, or a title you've flirted with in a bookstore on more than one occasion, or maybe it's a book that's sitting right there on your bookshelf, patiently waiting for you to pick it up -- but the thought is always there, in the back of your mind: Why haven't I read this yet?

This week, tell us about a book (or books) you have been meaning to read. What is it? How long have you wanted to read it? And, why haven't you read it yet?

For almost a year and a half I have been meaning to read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. I bought the book in Galena, Illinois, a small touristy town, in a rather dirty, unorganized book/old junk shop. I can't remember the name of the place, but I remember it being a cluttered, dusty mess with books thrown haphazardly around in piles, on shelves, in old jugs, on top of record players, and so on. The Name of the Rose was just sitting there next to a pile of old photographs, the black and white kind where no one smiled. Written on the inside cover was $7 and I snatched it up and bought it.

Then I promptly forgot about it for a year or so. When I reorganized my bookshelves, I saw it once again, remembered buying it, and thought 'I should really read this'. Then I proceeded to stare at it, put it back on the shelf and spend the next few months wanting to read it but worried about its 502 large pages and Eco's complex language and philosophy.

Once I started delving into the book blogging community, I found a way to motivate myself to read the book: challenges. I joined the Chunkster Challenge and realized The Name of the Rose was nover 450 pages and hence an appropriate book for the challenge, so it went on my list. That was months ago. It is the last book for that challenge I have to read. I've still been putting it off. Later, I joined the Take a Chance Challenge and for one of the books, I had to read something published in 1980 - guess what? The Name of the Rose fit, so on the list it went. And yep, I still didn't pick it up.

Finally, just last night - seriously, yesterday! - I grabbed it off my shelf without thinking about it and just started reading. I'm on page 101. The book is well-written and intriguing. It's a bit daunting as it is so full of historical references and information, but at the same time, I am very much enjoying the insights into this time period, not only the facts of what was going on but also the philosophical, moral, and social inclinations of the time. And it's a very Sherlock Holmes-y type of detective story, which is always fun.

Have any of you read this book yet? What did you think of it?

24 comments:

  1. I've never read Mr. Eco, but just felt compelled to comment: Go Galena! Rock on! I used to live in Cuba City, Wisconsin, about 30 minutes away. Marched with a tuba in the Galena 4th of July parade every year :D. I always though they should post a sign on the way in:
    "Galena, Illinois: Ulysses S. Grant frequently got dead drunk here."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umberto Eco is one of those authors I feel I should read at some point too. The length and the difficulty puts me off, but I will try to get round to it one day. I hope you manage it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason - Absolutely! I think that sign would bring in more visitors. I stayed in the hotel where Ole Ulysses liked to stay and drink. It's such a small world! Thanks for stopping by; I hope you continue to do so.

    Farmlanebooks - There's something about Eco that is appealing and terrifying simultaneously. I think because you know you are in the company of a Great Mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO! Talk about procrastination! The story cracked me up.
    Anyway, I'm glad you're liking the book so far. I actually read it twice. the first time I was way too young for this book (about 16) and completely didn't get it but the second time I really really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a few of Eco's books but The Name of the Rose remains my favorite. The depth of historical information and detailed descriptions (there is a page+ dedicated to describing a carved door) in The Name of the Rose aren't really matched in some of the others of his I've read. Although when it comes to complexity, Foucault's Pendulum wins hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for starting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lilly - Trust me, I'm an excellent procrastinator when it comes to books. It never feels like I'm procrastinating because I read so much in the mean time, but still...

    Brandon - I loved that description. I'm very much enjoying the consistent discussions of a topsy-turvy, upside down and backwards world and the sanctity or lack thereof of this world.

    Softdrink - I know! I'm really glad I started and seriously this Weekly Geek couldn't have come at a better time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherlock Holmes for book lovers who would rather be in medieval Italy, right. You have a great read in front of you. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read the book but I remember my best friend enjoying it in high school. My post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frances - And I really would rather be in medieval Italy! I'm loving it.

    pussreboots - You should check it out. It's a very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the Name of the Rose is one of those books that I have but I haven't read.
    Happy Weekly Geeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eco is awesome. You will love The name of the Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maree - You should definitely read it. And Happy Weekly Geeks to you too!

    Rikki - He really is. I'm definitely going to have to read more works by him if The Name of the Rose is any indication.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Eco, a favourite book of mine. Hope you continue to enjoy it!
    Enjoyed the film version too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mon - I just found out that Sean Connery is in the film. I love him. Seriously love him, even though I'm pretty sure he's older than my grandpa. I've got to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somebody recommended this to me as a must read just recently. Recommendations are one of the reasons that I don't read all that I've already got.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kerrie - You are so right. Recommendations are the life blood of my reading. I very rarely go in to a bookstore and browse. I go in with authors and titles in mind, based on conversations I've had or on blogs I read. And those recommendations are coming way faster than I can read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read it years and years ago, and remembered liking it. Congrats on starting, though. Sometimes, that's the hardest step.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of it, looking forward to what you think

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melissa - So far it seems that most people who have read Eco do enjoy him; it's nice to hear when starting such a long book.

    Kristen - You should give it a try. So far it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have this book on my list to read one day!

    It is such mixed emotions when you love a book that you have been meaning to read for ages. On one hand, it is fantastic that you love it, on the other you are kicking yourself that you didn't read it earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marg - Exactly! And now that I'm back to dealing with students I don't have the hours to devote to the book that I would like. Ahhh, if only I would have read it over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never even heard of this book before -- and what's really surprising, is that it's an "old" book, which is usually where my reading habits lie...

    Thanks for adding another suggestion to my wish list (and, from there, the To Be Read piles lol)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Deanna - I hope you read it as it's a very interesting book. And yep sounds like my process: suggestion - to buy list - to be read list - eventually read. never just buy and read!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!