29 August 2009

Weekly Geeks: An Obsession


Weekly Geeksters, tell us, do you have a collection, (or are you starting a collection,) of one particular book title? If so, what's your story? Why that book, and how many do you have, and what editions are they? Share pictures and give us all the details.


Or perhaps you dream about starting such a collection. What title would it be and what would it take for you to get motivated to start collecting?Or maybe it's the works of a particular author you collect (or want to collect) instead a certain book title?

I have to admit, I have never thought about this before. I certainly have and do own multiple copies of the same title, but it has always been a matter of practicality not collecting. Here are some books I have more than one of and why:

1. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous: I first read this book after finding it in a box of old books in the attic. Apparently it was my mother's copy. The binding was breaking apart, and a few years later, the book was in three sections. Still I read the falling-apart-at-the-seams book and it wasn't until years later that I bought the second copy. I still have the first, in three parts, because I like the history of it.

2. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and Lord of the Rings series: I have multiples of these for the same reason: I got the entire series/collection in one hardcover book - I read it and loved it - I bought the individual paperbacks for easier re-reading. I also have the original HHG book I read, the first in the series, which was also in that old box of books where I found Go Ask Alice, and it too was falling apart.

3. Complete Works of William Shakespeare: I have the complete works in four different ways. First, I have two hardcover Complete Works. I also have the mass market paperbacks of the majority of his plays. Finally, my treasure: I attended St. Patrick's Academy for gradeschool, and when they decided to clean out the library in my eighth grade year, my little geek heart got all excited. The principal let me look through the library and pick out books I wanted. That is how I came into possession, in eighth grade, of the complete works of William Shakespeare, each with its own book, with a lovely if faded blue material cover, published in the early 1900s.

I supppose if I were to actually collect the different publishings of one title, it probably would be Adams's HHG. It's the book I've read the most often in my life, and it probably has some fun covers. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind owning the many different copies of Le Fanu's In a Glass Darkly - it would be pretty creepy to have an entire shelf dedicated to that book.

What about you guys? Obsessed with any one title?

13 comments:

  1. I think the story behind Go, Ask Alice is wonderful. I would treasure such a copy myself :).

    It's great that you actually have more than one copy of several titles. That shows true devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shakespeare is a good one to collect. I'm trying for a full set of the Oxford Shakespeare Classics version as it was recommended by one of my teachers.

    There is something lovely about old books isn't there. That's a lovely story about how you got those editions. I'd hope they were in good conditions (if they were, I'd bet they still are).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilly - Thanks! Have you ever read it?

    Elena - There is nothing quite like Shakespeare is there? And there are so many variant publications that you get some really interesting looking books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many Shakespeare editions pop up around this house too. It is great to have the large Riverside Shakespeare but not so practical if you are looking to tuck a play in your bag and go. And then there is the differences in book design to entice. See? This is not really our fault if we find too many copies of a single title on our shelves. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And then there's the variants on the commentaries with the different editions as well, Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have the complete works of Shakespeare in leatherbound books!

    Weekly Geeks: I collect books not titles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frances - I love the look of the Complete Works, but if I'm reading a play, I want a smaller, more manageable book too!

    Elena - Absolutely! I have two Complete Works because each offers different introductions and criticisms!

    Gautami - Ooooh, leatherbound. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOOOW!!! You got to pick out books from a library clearout! lol I'm so envious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love those old shakespeares - I had an old copy of Midsummer's once, like that, and it just felt comforting to read. It's the smell partly... my grandmother was a schoolteacher in Canada, and at one point gave me an old series of hardbound books that were meant to be schoolroom activity books, kind of like those 15 volumes "Book of Knowledge" type series they had when I was a kid. It was fascinating, both for the sort of activities it suggested (building miniature models of period villages out of paper, including a mill, for example), and for the age of the information (the picture of the solar system showed each planet riding an old style bicycle in circles around the sun, an article on transportation suggested that cars might someday go as fast as 60 mph).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you can count me among the people who are envious of a whole vintage Shakespeare collection that you got pick from a library. That sounds really awesome. I keep meaning to read something by Le Fanu! I like your idea.

    My Weekly Geeks is a post about different illustrated versions of Alice in Wonderland.

    Happy Weekly Geeks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mon - I know! I wish I had been older to really appreciate it.

    Jason - Yes! The smell of old books is just wonderful, isn't it? Those books sound absolutely awesome! Awww, Alice wasn't real? Go figure. It seems they all are fake.

    Dark Alice - I really should put up some pictures of the Shakespeare collection so you guys can see them. You should definitely read In a Glass Darkly; it's an awesome collection of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too love the story of the "loved" (Velveteen Rabbit style) copy of Alice -- nearly an heirloom it is by now!

    The closest thing to this I have is a copy of Linda Goodman's Sun Signs -- but every time I buy a copy, one of the kids takes it ;)

    (Aside from the link in my name to my post at Kitsch Slapped, I've got a second post this week at Collectors' Quest.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deanna - I've always thought of it as an heirloom! If I have kids, I hope to give it to one of them someday.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!