02 September 2009

Book Review: Dead to the World


Title: Dead to the World
Author: Charlaine Harris
Published: 2005 Pages: 291
Genre: Vampire
Rating: 3.5/5

Buy  |  Borrow  |  Accept  |  Avoid

Plot Synopsis

As Bill runs off to Peru to work on his project, Sookie thinks she might finally have some time where she doesn't get into trouble, where she doesn't get beat up. But then she sees Eric running down the road and finds out he's had his memory wiped. Now Sookie has to work with the Vampires to fight off a group of witches determined to take over the Shreveport Supernaturals. And to top it all off, her brother goes missing too.

My Thoughts

It's not that I don't like Bill. I do. He's a slow burn, intense but subdued. For some reason though, I enjoyed the story more sans Bill. Partially, I think because without Bill, I didn't have to constantly see Sookie cheating on him or thinking about cheating on him or almost-but-not-quite cheating on him. With their relationship out of the way, I felt like more time was spent on the truly interesting plotline - the supernaturals.

While this book didn't move much faster than the others, I found myself enjoying it more. Perhaps it was the strange look at an un-Eric Eric or the inclusion of more Supes and a nice Supe throwdown that did it for me. As the series goes on, the politics of the supernatural community and their prevalence in human communities and affairs becomes more prominent. I enjoy reading about the social morays of these separate and unique, but oddly unified, cultures. The introduction of witches and the weres at Hotshot really sparked my fancy, and with any luck, the rest of the books in the series will continue elaborating upon the Supes we know and adding more to the mix.

Other Thoughts

4 comments:

  1. I have not read anything by this author, but I know many people love her books. Isn't the RIP IV challenge fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane - Yes it is! I think I'm technically done with the challenge already. I hope no one minds if I keep linking reviews. If you read my other reviews, you'll see that I haven't been a huge fan of the series so far, but this book seemed a bit better to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my very favorite of all the Sookie Stackhouse books. I'm a big Eric fan though.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!