17 September 2009

Books from Blogs

Today's BBAW meme wants to know about a book I've read because I found it on another blog. I am embarrased to say I haven't yet read a book just because of a blog recommendation. With all of the challenges I signed up for, I haven't been randomly reading lately so those I find on other's blogs don't pop into my hand quickly. I do, however, have a list of 37 books found on blogs on my TBR list. I thought I would highlight two of them.

Everyone She Loved by Sheila Curran

I found this novel on Girls with Books when they announced an interview with the author. It was my first time asking an author a question, and I was excited. Then I was doubly excited when I actually won a copy of the book! Another first for me.

Plot Synopsis: Penelope Cameron, loving mother, devoted wife, and generous philanthropist, has convinced her husband and four closest friends to sign an outlandish pact. If Penelope should die before her two daughters are eighteen, her husband will not remarry without the permission of Penelope's sister and three college roommates. For years, this contract gathers dustuntil the unthinkable happens. Suddenly, everyone she loved must find their way in a world without Penelope.

I can't wait to read this!

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

I saw this book on so many blogs I'm not even sure which was first. I think it may have been the review at Hey Lady! but then again it could have been when She is Too Fond of Books did a TLC Book Tour interview with the author. Traveling through Sunday Salon posts, I found Rhapsodyinbooks' review and A Novel Menagerie wrote a really interesting post including a Mormon's perspective. Believe me, I could keep going...

Plot Synopsis: It is 1875 and Ann Eliza Young has recently separated from her powerful husband, Brigham Young, prophet and leader of the Mormon Church. Expelled and an outcast, Ann Eliza embarks on a crusade to end polygamy in the United States. A rich account of her family's polygamous history is revealed, including how both she and her mother became plural wives. Yet soon after Ann Eliza's story begins, a second exquisite narrative unfolds - a tale of murder involving a polygamist family in present-day Utah. Jordan Scott, a young man who was thrown out of his fundamentalist sect years earlier, must reenter the world that cast him aside in order to discover the truth begind his father's death. And as Ann Eliza's narrative intertwines with that of Jordan's search, readers are pulled deeper into the mysteries of love, family, and faith.

Now if I could only find the time to read challenge AND non-challenge books!

8 comments:

  1. I love the rain boots on the cover of Everyone She Loved. I'd probably buy it for the cover alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 19th Wife is one of those that I discovered through blogging but then saw everywhere in the stores and felt really giddy knowing that I saw it first on the blogosphere. It gives me great pleasure to know I can go into any bookstore and recognize so many titles from all my blogging peers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the 19th Wife on its way to me now and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gautami - Be sure to stop by and let me know how you liked it!

    softdrink - I'm a sucker for covers too!

    Trish - For the past six months - since my discovery of the book blogging community - I don't think I've even been in a bookstore! It's all been recommendations or challenges which I just buy online. Time for a B&N or a Borders run...

    Lola - Let me know when you read it/review it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 19th wife was one I saw a lot for a few months, and one I want to read, but like so many others, just have to many books I want to read, and so little time! Not to mention, there isn't room for it at the moment as I try to finish all my challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great honesty. I've found more than 600 books through blogs. and all of those are on my good reads to-be-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jules - Exactly! If only I could do nothing but read all day, I may catch up on my TBR list in a few years or so.

    Serena - 600! That's insane. Good luck getting to them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!