20 September 2009

Sunday Salon: Help Me!


The first part of my Sunday Salon post this week is really really focused: I need help!


Two Questions

1. I'm trying to organize my bookshelves, and I originally thought I would separate the Lit section out into Classic and Contemporary, but I'm a bit unclear on where to draw the line. Where does Heller's Catch-22 fit? Love in the Time of Cholera? Auntie Mame? Bradbury? What do you guys think? How do you distinguish Classic Lit from Contemporary Lit? By year? By a combination of year and "quality"? Or do you not bother separating the two from each other?

2. I recently came into possession of a $100 gift card to Barnes and Noble. Yes, yes, let jealousy rear it's ugly head ladies and gents. : ) Now I find myself wondering: What books should I buy? I would LOVE some recommendations. There are just so many possibilities that it's driving me crazy. What's the best book you've read recently? Link to your review if you'd like.


Everything Else

Book Blogger Appreciation Week was absolutely fantastic. I am thrilled with all of the new book blogs I've added to my Google Reader. It was truly a pleasure meeting new book bloggers, and the activities, giveaways, scavenger hunts, and guest posts really made the week fun. Also, I love that BBAW gave everyone an award for participation, and I am proudly displaying mine today.

Last week's Weekly Geeks asked us how we systematize our reading: Do we have reading plans? Do we put our books into a spreadsheet? I didn't participate because I have no reading plan, no spreadsheets, no method of tracking outside of my blog. Or at least I had no spreadsheet. But the combination of Weekly Geeks and BBAW got me all excited about tracking my reading, and hence...the reading spreadsheet was born. I've set up the spreadsheet so that it automatically counts the number of books read, pages read, the genres, whether authors are alive or dead, what books were read for a challenge, and fiction/non-fiction. We'll see if I keep it up. It will certainly make my Reading Reports easier as the spreadsheet does all that pesky counting and adding for me.

Finally, in the last month, I've started a new event on my blog which I have completely not cleverly called "You Can Quote Me On This". I like book quotes, but having them in a list somewhere seems rather pointless, so I've set it up that every four or five days, a new book quote will pop up as a blog post. Each quote has a question attached to spark discussion. I hope you participate!

So how are all of you bibliophiles doing this Sunday? Anything new and exciting?

10 comments:

  1. You asked and I answer:

    (1) Put them where you, gut-level, feel they belong. They're your shelves.

    (2) $100...Here's the strange thing...I, too, was gifted with a $100 gc this week. I've not actually received it yet, but I can start planning, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I do fiction 3 ways: the group for "before anybody I know was born" the group for "previous generation" and the group for "current generation." It's not very scientific, but it helps me find stuff better!

    As for the $100 gift certificate, it's ridiculous to think you could make a choice with that temptation. Therefore I offer to take it off your hands, and then you don't have to worry! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb - That is so strange. I mean do $100 gift cards come out everyday? And if so, why am I just finding out about this?

    Rhapsody - Hey, get your grubby hands away from my gift card! :) I loooove the way you organize your lit; it solves all of my problems with the 1920s to the 1970s - the strange middle ground where I'm not sure if things count as classic and yet they clearly aren't modern. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quote idea! I like that you'll be turning it into a discussion!

    Also, $100 gift certificate...that IS hard. I'm no help as I tend to hoard gift certificates in a this totally doesn't make any sense sort of way. :)

    Any chance you'll post your spreadsheet for the world to use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - Thanks! I hope you participate. I think book quotes are wonderful for sparking discussion. Once I really get my spreadsheet looking right, I'll post it. Right now I'm still backtracking with books I've already read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought some books for B&N (I had a giftcard too!). I would suggest taking some time--at least a week or two so you can decide what you really want to buy with it. I know, hard to do but it'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you haven't already read these two, I would buy:

    The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

    Two excellent reads! Congrats on the gift card - I'm trying not to be jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you like historical fiction, I've been pushing The Calligrapher's Daughter lately. If you don't like historical fiction, just ignore me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're filing dilemma reminds me of a scene from the movie, "High Fidelity":

    Dick: I guess it looks as if you're reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?
    Rob: No...
    Dick: Not alphabetical...
    Rob: Nope...
    Dick: What?
    Rob: Autobiographical.
    Dick: No fucking way.
    Rob: Yeah, I can tell you how I got from Deep Purple to Howard Wolf in just 25 moves. And if I wanna find the song "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac, I have to remember that I bought it for someone in the fall of 1983-pile, but didn't give it to them for personal reasons.

    So challenge yourself- try autobiographical! haha

    As for the gift card, I was waiting until after I finished this book to recommend it, but if you haven't already read "The Shadow of the Wind" (which I've read) and "The Angel's Game" (which I'm reading in Spanish... slowly) by Carlos Ruiz Zafon you should give them a look. The stories take place in 20's and 30's Barcelona and revolve around the Cemetery of Lost Books. Fascinating characters and Dickensian plot twists abound. You'd dig it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lola - That's what I'm trying to do instead of my typical run in and go crazy method, which usually results in too many books and I still end up having to pay.

    Carrie - I loved Water for Elephants, and I've heard great things about The Lace Reader. Thanks for the suggestion.

    softdrink - I love historical fiction...I love many things it seems...so I will definitely add it to my to look at list.

    Brandon - That has been my method for soooo long. Unfortunately the number of books I have has finally overcome my ability to associate. And it definitely sounds like I would dig those books. Cool daddy-o. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!