26 October 2009

Movie Review: Star Trek

Title: Star Trek
Director: J.J. Abrams
Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Bana
Release: May 8, 2009
Country: USA
Genre: SciFi, Action
Rating: PG-13
First Viewing: June 2, 2009

Plot Synopsis
For the first time James T. Kirk, Dr. Spock, and the rest of the crew come together to fight off a Romulan ship intent on destroying the Federation.

My Thoughts
Remaking an iconic franchise is a risky endeavor, but Abrams manages to maintain the feel, the nostalgia, of Star Trek while simultaneously updating and bringing a new generation into the cult. The film was not merely an introduction to the world of Star Trek; the backstory is an actual story and an interesting one at that with lots of action.

Whenever a film is remade with younger characters, I worry. Will they make it all campy teen flick? is the first question that pops into my mind. Will the characters morph into too-young, no-brain, all-sex-all-alcohol-all-the-time, Animal House-style college kids? I am happy to say that is not the case in this film. The characters are true to the original, and while their youth is evident, it is not the focus of the film. These are ironically true-to-life twenty-somethings, more on the verge of adulthood than living the last hurrah of childhood.

The visual effects are stunning - I'm half in love with the octupus-like Romulan spaceship - and the action is fast-paced. The final point in its favor that really pushed me into giving it a high rating is that I had to use the restroom something fierce after my way-too-large coke, but I absolutely refused to get up and go. So what I want to know is: when's the sequel coming out?

Rating: 5 out of 5 bags of popcorn

4 comments:

  1. It was awesome, wasn't it? I think I ended up seeing it about three times in theaters! I've got at least two posts about it on my blog under the movies category. I admit I had been very worried about how the movie would be, but in the end it made me fall in love with Star Trek all over again. :)

    I'm eagerly waiting for it to come out on DVD so I can see it with captions! There's at least two scenes where I have absolutely no idea what was said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you might want to stop by our blog.....just a hint :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really a Star Trek person at all. I have a cursory understanding of everything going on, but I've never been a fan (Star Wars, rock on!). However, I LOOOOOVED THIS MOVIE. Very well done indeed. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - Yes, it was very awesome. I can't wait for the DVD either. That will definitely be a stay at home night, lights off, popcorn in hand.

    PnP - Done and thanks!

    Andi - Star Wars v. Star Trek, what a dilemma. I'm a fan of both.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!