10 October 2009

Weekly Geeks: Recommendations




I wanted to talk this week about book recommendations. Where do you go for book recommendations? How often do you challenge yourself to get out of your comfort zone? How often do you read outside your favorite-and-best genre? How often do you try a new-to-you author? How often do you take a chance? This week, I'd like to offer you a few opportunities.

So your assignment this week, if you choose to play along, is to ask your readers for recommendations. Choose a genre--any genre--and ask for recommendations. You can be as general or as specific as you like. Consider it as an "I'm looking for...."

The second part of the assignment is to write a list of recommendations and share them with your readers. Choose a genre--any genre--and share your list of favorites. I think of this as "If you're looking for...."

I'm hoping that some really great books get recommended this week! Did you add any new books or authors to your wish list? If you'd like you can write a wrap-up post mentioning which books you're thinking about reading based on this week's weekly geek.
What a wonderful assignment! I know I'm missing out on Contemporary Literary Fiction as I have a tendency to read old and really really old books before picking up the recently published. I would love to see a list of contemporary lit fic, stories published in the last fifteen years or so that aren't YAL, SFF, non-fiction, romance, etc. I've read a few I've liked such as The Crimson Petal and the White, Middlesex, Bastard Out of Carolina, and Water for Elephants, but I would love to hear about more like these.

Now as for suggestions, I don't have a particular genre I'm obsessed with. I was going to give some Classic Lit suggestions as I've probably read the most in that genre, but then again, everyone knows about Classic Lit. So, instead I thought I'd focus on non-fiction, personal essay-style, story suggestions (in no particular order):

Stiff by Mary Roach
Stiff is an informative and funny collection of personal essays where each reveals another possibility for what we can do with our bodies after death.

Naked by David Sedaris
Full of dark humor and strange occurrences, Sedaris recounts his less than normal life and discusses even the normal events in unusual ways.

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Burroughs's coming of age collection of essays chronicles a young boy's inclusion in an extremely unusual family and his realization of his sexuality.

The Rice Room by Ben Fong Torres
Ben Fong-Torres may be most known as the inspiration for the lead in the film Almost Famous. The Rice Room reveals his origins in a strict Chinese family and his discovery of a new world, and its expectations and stereotypes of the Chinese.

Lame Deer: Seeker of Visions by John (Fire) Lame Deer
A true story of a mid-1900s medicine man, Lame Deer takes readers from a Bureau of Indian affairs boarding school designed to "civilize" through experiences with the American Indian movement to an acceptance and immersion in a shamanistic life.

Henry and June by Anais Nin
Drawn fron Nin's journal, Henry and June is the story of one woman's sexual journey with a married couple.

Patrimony by Philip Roth
In Patrimony, Roth explores his relationship with his father as his father slowly deteriorates from brain cancer.

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller
Fuller narrates events in her life as a child as her family tries to find its place in war-torn Africa and to survive and love each other.

The Latin Deli by Judith Ortiz Cofer
A collection of poems, short stories, and personal essays, The Latin Deli is an artistic look at the concerns and struggles of Spanish immigrants as they attempt to maintain cultural identity in a new world.

I would highly recommend any of these books. Far from dry recounting of facts, each is non-fiction but story-driven, and each offers readers the opportunity to not only learn about someone else's life but also about their own. The personal, social, cultural, and ideological issues are relevant and intriguing.

10 comments:

  1. If you liked Stiff, you might also like Spook (by the same author).

    I have a number of contemporary fiction books recommended on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be checking out a few from your list!

    I'm a huge fan of contemporary literary fiction, so here's a few I'd recommend for you...

    Black and White by Dani Shapiro
    The Other Side of You by Salley Vickers
    After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
    Skylight Confessions by Ann Hoffman

    and/or most anything by Ann Patchett.

    If you're looking for contemp. lit. fic. that has more of a historical angle - then go have a look at my own Weekly Geeks post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard good things about Naked and Running With Scissors. Now I'll have to look for them. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Stiff and Naked (oi, those aren't two titles meant to be read in sequence!). You may also enjoy Laurie Notaro, especially "We Thought You Would Be Prettier". She's another very funny essayist.

    I'd recommend some contemporary fiction, but as I look over my recent reads I find that the best ones on the list were written at least 20 years ago. Whoops! :)

    --melydia
    fellow Weekly Geek
    http://melydia.zoiks.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great suggestions! Thanks for linking to it on my blog!

    I loved The Time Traveler's Wife by Audry Niffengger. Some people consider it sci-fi, but I didn't see it as one and I although it's about a relationship, I wouldn't call it a romance either.

    Tara SG
    www.25hourbooks.com
    fellow weekly geek

    ReplyDelete
  6. pussreboots - I love your list! Thanks.

    Megan - Thanks for the suggestions. I think I need a mini-me to get through my TBR pile. :)

    Stacy - Those books are amazing. You should definitely read them.

    Melydia - Ha! That's hilarious. I don't think I've ever used both titles in the same sentence, but I will from now on.

    Tara - The Time Traveler's Wife is on my to read list. I actually have it for a challenge I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found Chris Bohjalian's "Trans-Sister Radio" to be unforgettable. I've been wanting to read something else by the same author because it was full of such interesting characters and dilemmas. I also loved Zadie Smiths' "White Teeth" which was almost a series of vignettes told with a very British style sense of humor that I loved. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coffeegrl - Thanks for the suggestions. I do so love a British humor so I'm definitely going to have to look into White Teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Help by Kathryn Stockett, Life of Pi by Yann Martel, and The Sparrow by Mary Doris Russell all fit the contemporary lit category and also cover what you liked in your non-fiction recommendations-they all cover personal, social, cultural, and ideological issues that are relevant and intriguing. (Okay, The Sparrow might be pushing the "contemporary" envelope a little, but I think under 20 years counts).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dreamybee - Awesome suggestions. And I definitely think 20 is contemporary!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!