02 November 2009

Movie Review: The Day the Earth Stood Still



Title: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Director: Scott Derrickson
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly
Release: December 12, 2008
Country: America
Genre: Sci-Fi
Rated: PG-13
First Viewing: May 14, 2009

Plot Synopsis
Dr. Helen Benson attempts to convince Klaatu that the people on Earth are worth saving.

My Thoughts

I have to admit something, something I am ashamed of, I have never seen the original 1951 version. As such, I am coming at this film from a newbie perspective. What stands out most in my mind is the lack of logic behind the ultimate ending of the film. I can not for the life of me figure out why an alien species would decide human life was worth saving based on the events Klaatu saw in his time on Earth. Personally, if I were an eco-friendly, logical space alien, I'd let the spheres and those nifty little bugs do their job.

Keanu Reeves is well, Keanu Reeves in this film. I kept wanting to call him Mr. Anderson honestly. While I can see the rationality of a non-emotional alien form, which Reeves does well, stoic and blank, this personality contradicts the eventual emotional decision made by Reeves's character, Klaatu. I can not, for one second, believe that Klaatu, as played by Reeves, would get all teary eyed over a parent hugging a child.

I will say, however, watching this film has made me want to watch the original, something I should have done a long time ago.



Rating: 3 out of 5

9 comments:

  1. Yeah that's the problem with these movies - humans always win even when they don't deserve it. If any alien species decided to destroy Earth for what ever reason I doubt they'd be swayed by seeing a few people showing that they love each other or what they are willing to sacrifice to survive.

    Not to mention books/tv shows where the "aliens" talk about how resourceful humans are and how they'll fight to the death to protect what's theirs... as if people from another world wouldn't do the exact same thing to protect their own... right...

    In the end it comes down to the arrogance of assuming humans are always right and no alien could ever be like us... which when you look at our history it's not all that surprising the movies would end up using the same ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, watch the original. I have seen it a few times. While I enjoyed it, it is what it is....a 1951 scary movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original was AWESOME. It looks a little dated since the special effects aren't very special by today's standards but it's still a classic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this movie was mediocre. By the way, I'm a new follower. The title of your blog hooked me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen - Absolutely!

    Missy and Marie - I will have to see the original. It sounds like it's worth it.

    Stephanie - Love your blog title too! I'm following you now too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was one of my pet peeves about the changes made to an earlier draft of the TDTESS remake script, in which we saw a lot more things that helped convince Klaatu that the human race was worth saving.

    Among others, there was a nice bit at the part where Klaatu kills the police trooper and walks away, only to notice that Helen and Jacob remain with the dying man trying desperately to comfort him, trying to save a complete stranger who had intended to hurt them.

    Another bit - Klaatu at Professor Barnhardt's house in an extended scene, listening to the Bach music and being completely drawn in by it:

    As Helen draws near, she sees that Klaatu's eyes are closed.
    He's listening to the music, transported.

    HELEN
    It's Bach.

    Klaatu looks at her.

    KLAATU
    I know.

    HELEN
    You've heard it before?

    KLAATU
    Not like this. Not with human ears.

    He touches the names embossed on the leatherbound books on the shelves.

    KLAATU (CONT'D)
    It's not just the worst of mankind that we know. We've seen the best, too.

    She stares at him, her eyes widening. She's caught a glimpse of something in him.

    HELEN
    You could have let us die without knowing anything. But you told me. Why?

    For a moment, Klaatu doesn't answer. And then...

    KLAATU
    I don't know.

    HELEN
    Maybe some part of you wants to be talked out of this.


    Overall, I like that draft much more than the final film. But there was the Writer's Guild Strike and apparently a lot of 'creative differences' among the filmmakers, so stuff got screwed up.

    Here's the script if you're interested: http://www.whoaisnotme.net/scripts/TDTESS_xx_UD.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I thought this one was pretty horrible. I saw it in the theater, and all I got out of it was a desire to see the original.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this at the theater having not seen the original. I thought it was okay. But there is something about the wooden Keanu that I like. Maybe I need an intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anivad - Don't you just love how "creative differences" typically means audiences get the shaft?

    Andi - Did you ever see the original?

    Stacy - Hey, I like the wooden Keanu too. And he does it so well.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!