12 January 2010

The Book List

Rebecca at Lost in Books is hosting a new meme.  The way you do the meme is simple:
  • There is a different topic each week, which will be posted at Lost in Books.
  • You write a post on your own blog about the topic.
  • The post will be a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic. So, for example, if the topic were, say, 3 Books That Make You Want to Go Shopping, you would write a list of 3 books that when you read them made you want to max out your credit card. I have no idea what those books would be, but you get the picture.
  • You may include photos with your lists, especially if that helps illustrate your point.
  • You link back to the week's post on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here.
  • Then you go to Lost in Books and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list! 
This weeks topic is 3 Book Titles That Made Me Laugh Out Loud When I First Read Them and the meme post and Mr. Linky can be found at Lost in Books.

My List:

1.  The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice Cream God by John Powers:  The concluding novel in John R. Powers's memorable trilogy set in mid-twentieth century South Side Chicago is the poignant tale of an ambitious and gifted young man from a blue-collar neighborhood who struggles to find his place in a world that seems riddled with insincerity. He narrates his bittersweet battles with God, sex, career, and family in a voice that evokes an Irish-Catholic Holden Caufield. ~Amazon

2.  Blues for Cannibals by Charles Bowden: Bowden profiles rapists, drunks, outlaws, a suicidal artist, ne'er-do-wells, and do-gooders; suffers grievously over tortured and murdered children; brilliantly links the story of an institutionalized self-taught artist and convicted killer who obsessively paints pictures of presidents with a blazing reassessment of Lyndon Johnson; chronicles an execution; mourns the death of four friends; and vividly portrays the mighty nineteenth-century Yaqui war leader Cajeme. As furious, wounded, lustful, and compelling as Algren and Miller, Bowden confesses his depthless hunger for women, good food, red wine, sunlight, gardening, and freedom, and warns, presciently, of an inevitable wave of violent change.  ~Amazon

3.  Throw Like a Girl by Jean Thompson: The women protagonists of Thompson's hard-hitting latest collection of stories have secret plans to wrest control of their life from husbands, boyfriends and mothers. Kelly Ann Pardee, a high school dropout stuck at home with a child while her army grunt husband is sent to the Middle East, wants to be a warrior, too. The teenage Jessie in "The Five Senses" has run off to Florida with an older man she is beginning to realize is violent and scary, and yet she is disappointed that her new fugitive existence isn't more exciting than her upper-middle-class life. ~Amazon


Any titles make you laugh out loud?  If not, how about this one:

9 comments:

  1. Fun list and a great blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha nice list. I'm glad she started this so far its crackin me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this meme...very clever! I've not read any of these books. And somehow I missed that Seuss book when my kids were little! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually read Throw Like a Girl and it didn't live up to its great title potential. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Mom - Thanks!

    PnP - I'm enjoying it too.

    Sandy - I think someone should write that book.

    Stephanie - Me too!

    Kristen - Awww, that's too bad. I haven't read it yet, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Those are some great titles. I have more for the TBR list! And I love My Foot in Your Ass. Classic, just classic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad she started this too--I love the titles. Once I had a violin teacher who was much shorter than I am (most people are) and one day he stomped his little foot and said to me "you play like a girl!"

    After years of reading The Foot Book, this cover is priceless...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca - I love adding to people's TBR list since everyone adds to mine. :)

    Jeanne - Hahaha! I love it. You play like a girl is a great line.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!