03 January 2010

GLBTQ Mini Challenge

The first mini-challenge for Amanda's GLBTQ challenge asks participants to write a paragraph or two on why the challenge is personally important.  I thought I would make a list (hey, I like lists!):
  1. My cousin
  2. My friend and his partner
  3. A blogging buddy
  4. The boy who lived across the street from me growing up
  5. Three college friends
  6. My students (8 who have come out to me to date)
  7. The Ugandan government making homosexuality punishable by death
  8. Matthew Shepard, Lawrence King, Carl Walker-Hoover, and many others
  9. The inability of loving adults to marry because of sexual orientation
  10. The imposition of specific, religious, and antiquated morality on free peoples
  11. The importance of love
I could go on and on with this list but the real reason I joined this challenge is to support a community of individuals who are unjustly and irrationally delegated to a second-class role.  The ignorance and hate expressed by anti-gay groups and individuals should be abhorrent to all.

11 comments:

  1. I could just hug you for this post. #7 makes me so angry! Adn #9. :/ Hopefully we can change the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's beautiful! :-) you just made my day with that post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list. And dude, really? I had no idea the Ugandan government did that?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list. And dude, really? I had no idea the Ugandan government did that?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - Changing the world is always a goal!

    Care - Thanks!

    Marie - Glad to hear it.

    Christina - Yep, homosexuality is already life imprisonment, but they think the death penalty may be more appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful list! I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your list. I just wish Uganda was the only country the put gay men and lesbians to death. Hopefully some day soon no country will being doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful list. You all have inspired me to rejoin the challenge and work on my mini-challenge post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie - It's great to hear people say that.

    Ryan - Agreed. It's practically unbelievable to me that something so horrendous can be so common.

    Ali - Excellent! I can't wait to see what you write (er..wrote, not sure I'll go check). :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!