10 January 2010

Sunday Salon: Bloggiesta!


Maw Books hosted this year's Bloggiesta, three days of blogging fun, challenging participants to work on their blog.  I didn't think I was going to participate, so I didn't actually sign up to join in the fun; but then as I was sitting on my couch, notebook on my lap, I got the bug.  You know what I'm talking about, that strangely productive but towards something other than what you should be actually doing way.  I should be working on my syllabi and lesson plans for the coming semester.  Instead, I started working on my blog.

Then, as if Fate was extending a hand, the Weekly Geeks for Saturday involved the Bloggiesta, and I realized that this post was also perfect for a Sunday Salon.  So we have sort of a three for one deal going on today!

Notes so far:

- I created pages for Reviews by Title and Reviews by Author. I also put links to those pages/posts in my header.  This was very time consuming, but I'm ecstatic that I've got it done now.
Update:  I now have a page listing all of the books I have available for giveaways.

- I 2010'ed my Reading Spreadsheet, pushing the '09 sheets back and creating new spreadsheets for this year. This is where I track my reading: pages, male v. female, dead v. alive, genres, etc. Everything is nicely set up with formulas and ready to go.

- My bookshelves are loaded with more than 1,000 books, probably closer to 1,500, so I went through and eliminated about 50.  I know, I know that's a pretty small number but I have a very very hard time getting rid of books.  Look for giveaways in the coming months as I'm not sure what to do with all my "extra" books.  I was going to put them on BookMooch, but I already have 140 points over there.

- I plan on completing the mini-challenge over at Beth Fish Reads asking participants to write either a list or opinion post.  I want at least one of each for my rainy day posts when I run out of ideas or steam.  Possible topics for My List Post:  5 Books I Wish Were Movies and 5 Movies I Wish Were Books, 5 Books I Wish Had Sequels, ....    And for My Opinion Post: Why Intro to Lit should be required of all college freshman, Reading and Book Choice in High Schools, It takes a reader to make a writer, .....
Update:  I've completed the Books/Movies list.  Look for the post and the giveway tomorrow!

- I learned a neat trick about linking over at Galley Smith.

- Following some advice I read on Bookish Ruth, I ran my blog through Website Grader and got some very neat advice on how to improve my site.  Since I was over there, I also ran my blog through Blog Grader, which oddly enough I did not find as helpful.

-A mini-challenge over at There's a Book inspired me to create a cheat sheet for my book reviews, which will come in handy as I've joined a ridiculous number of challenges.  Now I don't have to type in and search for the appropriate challenge URL every time I write a review!

- Beth Fish Reads has a mini-challenge about cleaning up the labels you put on posts, and this is something I have really got to buckle down and do.  But I don't wanna!  I know I need to figure out my labels, and then go through each and every post, fixing them.  But I don't wanna.  I hope to get to this today or tomorrow at the latest.

- I have a confession.  I have never backed up my blog.  But thanks to Farm Lane Books, my blog is now safely stored just in case Blogger freaks out on me.

There are still quite a few mini-challenges and other tips and tricks that I want to try out on my blog, but it's going to take some time.
Update:  I now have a Favicon and a Gravatar based on the image I used for my Google Doc spreadsheet!  Thank you Trish from Hey Lady!

Time Total (so far): 3 hours 21 minutes
Update:  6 hours 53 minutes

9 comments:

  1. I liked this post! And I'm so impressed with you! I knew I would not be able to sit and focus on my blog this weekend, but I did back up my blog! I really love your tabs. Someday, when I get brave enough, I'm going to figure out how to do them. It would be way outside my comfort zone, but I need to do it. You are on a real roll here! Thanks for the links - I'll go check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've accomplished more in 3 hours of Bloggiesta-ing than I have in 6. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't wanna is EXACTLY how I feel about labels, too. And also about going back and fixing wonky formatting on old posts.

    Congratulations on your bloggiesta productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the clean up this weekend! Everyones blogs look so snazzy! Looking forward to reading more posts in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You accomplished quite a bit. I know from experience how long it takes to make those indices! I'm trying to do one - book review by genre- and I figure I'll be finished in maybe 2012!

    Congratulations on all you accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy - I lucked out and my template had a place for those tabs, so I didn't have to muck about with HTML at all.

    Melissa - :) Those "Reviews by" pages were tedious but not overly time consuming since I had my entire list of reviews by month already completed. It was copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste....

    softdrink - I can't even bring myself to think about old posts....

    PnP - Thankies.

    Rhapsody - I could never do one by Genre; I'm too wishy washy about specifying a genre! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like you did a great job during Bloggiesta!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila - hahaha! Thanks.

    Serena - I feel pretty good about it and it gave me quite a few ideas for future plans.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!