21 February 2010

Sunday Salon: A Reading Vacation

Weeks Reads

Technically, I'm covering two weeks here as I was on vacation in not-so-sunny Florida from the 9th to the 15th.  The lack of sun boded well for reading though, and Man Oh Lordy did I have some winners:

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Vampire Mountain by Darren Shan
Trials of Death by Darren Shan
The Vampire Prince by Darren Shan
Hunters of Dusk by Darren Shan

Gay Rebel of the Harlem Renaissance reviewed and homosexuality within the Harlem Renaissance discussed.

I read Auntie Mame a while back and watched the film version recently to see how a gin-chugging, cigarette smoking, intellectual Mary Poppins is brought to the big screen.

Currently Reading

I searched Barnes and Noble and Books-a-Million for The Ask and The Answer, the second book in Patrick Ness's series while in Florida.  I was craving to continue the story begun in The Knife of Never Letting Go.  I didn't manage to find it until just before I left, and reading the first chapter was a huge relief after the cliffhanger of Book 1.  Now, I'm worried about finishing this one as I'm pretty sure book 3 is a long way off!

Non-Review Posts

Do you have to appreciate the classics regardless of whether or not you enjoyed the book?

Government control, GPS tracking, mind reading paranoia.  And one silly post title.

Has any author made you "feel the world"?

You know you love it. When is the last time you saw the movie French Kiss?

Would you name condoms after a man who had 160 children?

What do Happy Feet, House Bunny, The Beach, and Live Free or Die Hard have in common?  Well probably nothing except that I did a quick review of each one.

I finally put together my Blog Improvement Project To-Do List.  Have you started yours?

7 comments:

  1. I loved the condom post. I don't think I will ever be a customer for what was it, Ramses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Knife of Never Letting Go. I need to read the second one now. I also really want to read Fingersmith! I hope you had a great time in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I have the urge to apologize to anyone that has come to Florida in the last two months, but I do. We have had the freaking coldest January/February in the history of recorded temps. Nasty stuff. So I am sorry. But girl, you read alot of books! And Fingersmith no less! Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great reading list! hope you had a great time in florida :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a great vacation list! I just recently read Fingersmith too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved loved loved Fingersmith. Much more than Tipping the Velvet (which I read recently, years after Fingersmith). I have been thinking of going on to read some of her more recent couple of novels...

    Meanwhile, I have been thinking of picking up The Knife of Never Letting Go, fueled by everyone's tales of how gripping it is...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole - Yeah, I'm thinking Ramses condoms is some sort of anti-birth-control marketing device...

    Lola - I miss Florida already even though the weather was less than ideal!

    Sandy - My grandparents had the same need to apologize. Too funny!

    Marie - Who couldn't have fun with so much reading time?!?!

    Eva - I can't wait to read your review. I'm so behind on my Google Reader it may be months though! :)

    Pour of Tor - I would recommend Knife for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!