31 March 2010

March Movies


Beerfest
Broken Lizard makes my geek heart sing. Not one of their best - that title remains with Super Troopers - Beerfest is ridiculous enough to remain funny.

Avatar
While visually stunning, I was disappointed with the plot. I felt I knew what was coming at every turn and the story was just a rehash of conqueror-native legends. As one friend said, it's Pocahontas in Space. My mom, who went with me to see the movie, absolutely adored it, and so have most of the other people I've spoken with.  I do want to stress the visually stunning part, even while I complain about the plot, because the world created in this film is absolutely gorgeous and the film was shot to really draw viewers into this world.

Shutter Island
Haunting and intricate, Shutter Island made me feel and think even though it wasn't the most exciting of films.  While Avatar stunned the senses, Shutter Island sort of seeped under the skin and lingered uncomfortably.  I adored the color and camera work, but from time to time I found the soundtrack to be rather overly dramatic.  DiCaprio rocked as did Kingsley.  I must read the book now, and I hear there will also be - or already is - a graphic novel adaptation!

The Replacements
There is something quite beautiful and noble about football movies in my opinion.  The sport itself is just set up to imitate the heroism of the warrior, so movies seem to play on this.  Predictable, entertaining, easy viewing are the words that pop to mind.

The Proposal
Generally I don't like romantic comedies; but I adore Ryan Reynolds. While the plot was predictable, I still had fun with this film.

The Ugly Truth
Since I liked The Proposal, I thought I would enjoy another romantic comedy.  I was wrong.  The Ugly Truth just did not do it for me.

The Hurt Locker
Flipping fantastic.  I loved the slow pace, didn't overly mind the occasional bumpy camera action, and adored the lack of plot.  Let me explain that last part:  not much and everything happened in this movie.  Hmmm..I probably didn't do a good job of explaining.  Just go see it.  This is a movie that stays with you long after it's over.

Alice in Wonderland
The Alice story entertains me, Tim Burton entertains me, and Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter entertain me, so there really was no way I wasn't going to enjoy this movie.  While not the masterpiece I was hoping for, the visuals were stunning, the acting good, and the plot interesting.  I would have liked darker, but that is possibly because I was expecting something darker.  Expectations can really alter an experience.


Without a Paddle
I love funny boys, so watching three grown men traipse through the woods on a treasure hunt dreamt up in their childhood just tickles me.  I would very much pack my bags and go on such an outlandish adventure myself.

Sin City
I adore this violent, visually spectacular, vision of revenge by Rodriguez, Miller, and Tarantino.  Like with 300, the film looks like a comic book with vibrant colors and larger-than-life characters, and it feels like a comic book with gruesome killings, scarred men, and the sexiest damn damsels in distress.  Yep, it's blatantly sexist, over-the-top in its violence, and a bit extreme all around, but again...it's a comic book on the big screen.  Awesome.

2012
I was expecting a few close calls being as this is an end of the world film, but man oh lordy did this movie contain an obscene quantity of unbelievable escapes from death.  It was a bit too unbelievable for me; although I have to admit I watched the whole thing and don't regret it.

Blindness
The. Worst. Movie. Ever. A gratuitous gang rape scene that disgusted and horrified me.  Totally unbelievable character motivations. Do not watch this.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I had Blindness in my netflix queue. I think I'll be passing now. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with your opinion of Avatar. Definitely read Shutter Island (better yet listen to the audio) although the cat is out of the bag so to speak. And it is funny how The Hurt Locker subtly messes with your mind, even a week after you've seen it. 2012 was equivalent of a roller coaster ride for me. Just a whole bunch of special effect fun! As far as Blindness, it might have meant a tiny bit more to you if you had read the book, but not much more. I think the lesson here is to NOT make Saramago books into film.

    Whew. I think that's it for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shutter Island sounds really contemplative, makes me wanna see it! :)

    I've got an award for you on my blog, make sure you claim it!

    http://cunnninghamfan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way as you did for both Alice & Shutter Island. I'm worried about reading the book right away though (in the case of Shutter) because I don't know if it will hold my attention, having already seen the big surprise, ya know?

    I have 2012 borrowed from a friend to watch tomorrow, maybe. I figured it would be over the top but love a good visually action packed movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm ... I've been planning to see Blindness, but it does not sound like cup of tea. I loved Avatar, though I agree that it's sort of a retelling of old history. Like you, I thought Alice was good, though not a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avid Reader - I would definitely not watch it. I really wish I had those two hours of my life back.

    Sandy - I think I will take your advice and read Shutter Island. It was such a fascinating movie to me that I'm thinking I might still like the book even knowing how things end.

    Nikola - I would definitely recommend Shutter Island. And thank you so much for the award!

    Christina - I think I'm going to give the book Shutter Island a try. While I know the ending, it seems that with a story like this, it may be the journey is the thing.

    Stephanie - I would stay away from Blindness. Far away. But that is of course just my opinion. Avatar grows on me the further I am from watching it. While the story just doesn't cut it for me, I'm remembering more and more the beauty of the film itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Blindness! I thought it was very realistic of what would probably happen in such a situation. I didn't like that the movie kind of just ended, though. I don't think it is a movie for everyone though because it is very hard to imagine such a thing happening.

    As you know, I liked the Ugly Truth, but I think because I was happy it was not the typical romantic comedy.

    Sin City was awesome, wasn't it? One of the only films like it that I actually enjoyed.

    I haven't seen Avatar but my sister did and said it was very overrated. The visuals are stunning, but like you said, there is nothing new to the plot. You'd think for all the money they poured into that movie, they could afford to get someone to tweak the script just enough so that there is a surprise or two. Sounds like The Hurt Locker was deserving of the Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca - I think my main problem was the lack of character development. Why were the soldiers so horrible? Why were those men so horrible? Why were the men who let the bad things happen so horrible? I just couldn't understand. When I try to put my town in the same situation, I just can't see them escalating to rape so quickly; nor can I see my husband or my male friends being so blithe about allowing me and other women to be raped. For me, the situation was totally unbelievable. Eh, to each their own right? :)

    And yes, Sin City just makes me go all googly with love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Big month for movies. I think I gave Avatar a B+ ? C for the story and A+ for the visuals. And I don't know if Shutter Island will be as good once you've seen the movie, so I look forward to seeing what you think. I listened to the audio and while I liked it it wasn't until the end that I was fully engaged. Loved The Proposal, liked The Replacements, and giggled through Beerfest.
    Have you read Blindness? I wonder if that affects the enjoyment of the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacy - I watch a lot of movies; it's a sickness. :) I'm thinking that reading Blindness probably makes the movie more enjoyable. Without the character development a book affords, the actions in the movie just seem ridiculous. Like in the beginning, these various people go blind, but don't go to a doctor. What's up with that? And then this guy's wife pretends to be blind so she can go into quarantine with him? Huh? I could seriously keep going with the WTF type questions. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!