30 June 2010

My search for a Parasol-loving reading buddy

Orbit, an imprint of Hachette Book Group (US) and Little Brown Book Group (UK), publishes science fiction and fantasy novels. At Book Expo America, I was lucky enough to meet an awesome marketing and publicity director for Orbit US, who proved to not only be great to chat with but also super cool about sending me the first two novels in Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series for review.

Click on the cover to read the first chapters!

According to Gail Carriger's website, "the Parasol Protectorate Series books are comedies of manners set in Victorian London: full of vampires, dirigibles, and tea. They are either Jane Austen doing urban fantasy, or PG Wodehouse doing steampunk."  Well, I can get behind either one of those analogies, so I'm quite psyched about reading these books.  And I have been assured that the vampires do not sparkle.

The third book in the series, Blameless, comes out this September, and Orbit already has the next two, Heartless and Timeless, set to release in Spring 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Not only did I want to let you know about my upcoming reading - which has me totally geeked - but I also wanted to let you know how cool the people at Orbit are.  How many websites have the following in their FAQ:

Why are words sometimes misspelled/misspelt on this site?

This is an international website divided by a common language. As a result, there is some disagreement about the correct spelling of common terms. Since our US, UK and Australian contributors all seem intractable, we’ve decided to let everyone follow local custom.

I just found that so amusing.  Anyway, if SFF gets your motor running, you should definitely check out their site.

Finally, I'm curious to see if anyone has Soulless and/or Changeless on their TBR pile or library list and would like to do a simultaneous review.  If you're interested, send me an email at eclectic.eccentric[at]hotmail.com.

15 comments:

  1. hee hee - I'm laughing at the comment that the contributors are 'intractable'. What a great word. AND these books DO look like a lot of fun. I'm going to need some fun after the next 5 or 6 books I've been saying I will read next. American Gods has me totally involved right now but FUN isn't the word. more like 'ominous.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the part of the Web site you cited here. That is too funny. Thanks for sharing this with us. I really enjoy Orbit books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look very fun! I don't have them but I can't wait to hear about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the publisher was supposed to send me Changeless, but did not. I enjoyed Soulless but found it a little silly, I admit, but I look forward to seeing what you think of these two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of those analogies too! Clearly this is a series I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orbit is sending me the first two as well! We can be parasol buddies. Love love love love love the covers and everyone knows how I feel about people cartoonish or not on my covers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think this my kind of thing but it sounds like a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to your review of these. I'm tempted, but there's something about the covers that's thrown me off along and because I am somewhat shallow at times, I've let that stand in the way. I feel certain that if you like them, your review will sway me the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Care - I loved American Gods, but it's not exactly a light read!

    Serena - They have a great collection of books.

    Jill - I'm excited to read them.

    Aarti - You might try emailing a reminder; my first set didn't get out as planned.

    Ana - They do remind me of you somehow!

    Pam - I'd love to be parasol buddies! Let me know when you get them and want to review them.

    Jenners - You never know...they could totally be your thing. You are an eclectic person. ;)

    Andi - Too funny! I love the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the covers of this series! I'm not sure it's my kind of book, but I'm so tempted by the covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim - I love the covers too! They look so darkly gothic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Herein lies the problem of being a British girl following blogs from across the waters - 'Soulless' isn't released until September 2010 here! And when did I realise? Yep, AFTER I'd read the first chapter excerpt and decided that I had to have it! So, on with the TBR pile until then...looking forward to seeing what you think and whether it's worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lit..Brit - Oh no! That stinks. Waiting for a book is a giant pita.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no! I literally just posted my review of Changeless today!! I'm so sorry! But I would be willing to read Blameless with you. The series is fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle - Awesome! We will have to set something up.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!