10 August 2010

Guest Post: Jenners the Book Whore


I am currently buried under family members, food, festival, and fun, so some kind bloggers have graciously agreed to guest post here on eclectic / eccentric.

Today, the wonderfully hilarious Jenners from Find Your Next Book Here shares her thoughts on eclectic reading.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Joys and Hardships of Eclectic Reading
I'm a book whore.

There ... I've said it. I'll read anything, anytime, anywhere. (Seriously, I've read the labels on cans of air freshener if trapped in a bathroom with nothing to read.) There is almost no type of book that I won't try. (Though I'd probably draw the line at technical books about subjects I know nothing about. I mean, let's be reasonable.)

It started when I was promiscuous young reader who had no barometer of what was "good" and what was "bad." I remember thrilling to the gloriously illicit and smutty The Love Machine by Jacqueline Susann and then following it up by reading the entire Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I'd read Sidney Sheldon's Master of the Game alongside Joseph Heller's Catch-22. Danielle Steel followed by Stephen King. It was a big messy melting pot of books, and I loved it.

Oh sure, there were times when I'd go on reading binges and obsessively read one type of book. I had my murder mystery phases and my horror phases. But most of the time, I craved variety. If I read a "candy bar" book, I'd have to leaven the sweetness by reading a "vegetable" book. I continue this pattern to this day. After getting sick by binging on the candy bar brilliance of the Twilight books last year, I followed them by reading Jane Eyre for the first time (which I would liken to eating brussel sprouts).

On the flip side, my husband is very limited in his reading. He reads travel narratives and celebrity biographies recommended by the Howard Stern Show. (And the occasional Nelson DeMille book.) This type of limited literary diet would make me ill. I need my thrillers, my memoirs, my chick lit, my contemporary fiction, my essays, my literary fiction, my dystopian YA, my classics. Anything else would be unthinkable ... like living in a world that had only two colors.

However, the downside of an eclectic reading diet is the headaches you can induce by not choosing your books carefully enough. I mean, most people would not eat raw fish and then a big piece of chocolate cake, right? (Incidentally, I once did this. I don't recommend it.) This happened to me just a few weeks ago when I finished reading Justin Cronin's The Passage and then jumped into Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. It was like getting reading whiplash. I should have picked a "step down" book ... something like Sense & Sensibility and Sea Monsters to ease myself out of the freaky viral-infested world of The Passage into the genteel world of Elizabeth Bennett's Hertfordshire.

Let's take a look at my list of books read this year and see some odd pairings that I read back to back. How about Steig Larsson's whip-smart and complex thriller The Girl Who Played With Fire followed by Jhumpa Lahiri's delicate, intricate and gorgeous short stories in Interpreter of Maladies? Or Stephenie Meyer's sci-fi epic The Host followed by Jonathan Safran Foer's experimental Holocaust-themed novel Everything Is Illuminated? Or my personal favorite odd pairing: Marcus Zusack's haunting, poetic WWII masterpiece The Book Thief followed by Jen Lancaster's snarky weight loss memoir Such A Pretty Fat? This seems like the reading list of a madwoman!

But my reading life is one big adventure. I never know where I'm going next. I could be kicking neo-Nazi ass in Sweden one week and then fighting vampires in San Francisco the next. I could be reliving an infamous school shooting and then seeing the world from a dog's point of view a few days later. I've luxuriated in the magical prose of Michael Chabon and then gone on to explore the science of the after-life. Being an eclectic reader means my reading journey has sharp turns, abrupt U-turns and lots of curves, but the journey is fascinating and feeds my soul and endless curiosity, and I wouldn't change a thing.

37 comments:

  1. As usual, Jenners nails it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Peppermint Ph.D. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Jane Eyre for the first time (which I would liken to eating brussel sprouts)." lol, I'm still snickering! Great post, Jenners!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! And I love odd book parings. Like yesterday I took a break from WWI Hemingway to read about a religious commune...awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, and as always, amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know until I started blogging I seriously thought everyone read this way! But you are right the randomness can at times, lead to the odd error in judgement (dodgy choice), but I wouldn't have it any other way either.

    What a wonderfully entertaining post. Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Variety is, as they say, the spice of life and I like to keep my literary options open. I can certainly understand why going from The Passage to Pride and Prejudice would give you whiplash, however!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand needing that "book" fix real quick. When the kids drive me crazy, they will often find me hiding in my bedroom with my nose in a book. It's my sanity so often. Great post once again Jenners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you - one genre of books would be dull! I like variety too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great guest post button! And wonderful guest post by a very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mixing of book genres and am also an eclectic reader. I like your book choices and after I read something big serious and heavy, I like to go lite sometimes chick lit, sometimes humor, and then wham - over to a non fiction that breaks my heart..... ahhh good to know your an eclectic too Jenners :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE THIS POST! Brilliant and hilarious. I, too, require some whorishness in my book choices and get some interesting combinations - but sometimes those combinations are just so tasty :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilarious post and I'm totally the same way. I love classics but I also enjoy chick lit. It doesn't seem to mesh but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just started re-reading Pride and Prejudice (after seeing the first disc of the A&E version thanks to Netflix - and beginning to think Darcy was a major jerk)...when suddenly, out of the blue, I had a strong feeling that I needed a shot of Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Plum - where the bad guys are so much easier to discern.

    Mmmm, word candy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post! I don't like reading two similar books in a row and often tend to have a complex book on the go at the same time as something lighter. Variety is what keeps me going :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love variety, too. What a fun post! And yet, even with odd book pairings, it can be fun to find things that tie books together when they would seem to have no overlap at all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You won't read technical books? Really? I am a technical writer so I should take offense but what can I say? When you're right, you're right :)

    I am a bit snobby with my reading so I won't read everything but I have been known to read 6 books at once, all pretty much different.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome post ... I like the way you think. ;-) I'm a book whore, too. And like you, I crave balance. When I've read a few classics or more literary contemporary books, I reach for some twaddle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome post Jenners! As usual you have made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great post jenners! I agree, reading should be an adventure. I like variety too.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL - I definitely couldn't live without a lot of variety in my reading. That said, you're right about how you end up making some pretty crazy leaps from book to (very different!) book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As usual you crack me up! In this last year, since I've been reading blog posts, I feel I've grown. I too read all those strange choices in my teen years, when I read for the library I was limited also by $$$$. But I've been so influenced by other bloggers, I've grown up. I still like to put on a comfy pair of pjs and slippers and red an old favorite, but the adventure continues, thanks for influencing my choice so positively.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL I compare my reading tastes to sweets and veggies too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic post from Jenners! but then I know she would write a good one. Yes to eclectic reading!! That's my style, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this post, Jenners! Go promiscuous readers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful post - Jenners is my kind of reader!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i'm with jenners and will read just about ANYTHING, save true sci-fi, relig books, or erotica.

    it's great to have an eclectic taste in books. if a stranger were to visit and take a peek at my book shelves (or ipod play lists for that matter) he might think me a tad schizo. long live wild variety! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Everyone! Not sure what the protocol is on commenting to the comments on a guest post but I just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone and I appreciate all your nice comments. And I'm glad I'm not alone in my "whorish" ways!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic post Jenners. Being eclectic is where it's at. Variety is the spice of life, right?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Slut. And I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course. Seeing's how I'm a book whore, too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love variety. I thrive on it. I need it like people need their caffeine fix (which incidentally I need, too.) I can't even stand having all the same type of friends. Or eating leftovers. Too much sameness will make me lose what is left of my mind. Besides, variety breeds an open-mind and increases intelligence and egalitarianism. Take that, Mr. Jenners!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think Jenners and I could go a-whoring together. Our lists do seem a tad bit psychotic, but that just makes life interesting! Nice post! Jenners, you always make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's exactly why I read several books at once - that variety keeps things exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's so true about what books to read back-to-back. You've had some fun pairings. Makes me want to go see what some of mine are!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Book whore! I love it! I am an eclectic reader too and it keep things interesting!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful post. I'm all about the diverse reading.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!