03 August 2010

Movie Review: Grosse Pointe Blank


Title: Grosse Pointe Blank
Director: George Armitage
Starring: John Cusack, Minnie Driver, Dan Ackroyd
Release: April 11, 1997
Country: America
Genre: Comedy, Action
Rated: R
First Viewing: Sometime in the late 90s

The Short and Sweet of It
A professional killer metaphorically kills two birds with one stone as he travels to his hometown for a reunion and a hit.

A Bit of a Ramble
I love John Cusack. There's just not two ways about it; he's adorable. I watch movies just for him, and this film is no exception. Throw in any other lead actor and I don't know if the movie would be worth it for me.

Grosse Point Blank is part romance, part black comedy, part thriller. With quirky humor, the film entertains viewers with a different kind of assassin, one more concerned with getting back together with his high school girlfriend than killing his mark. He carries some of the same characteristics as other film portrayals of hitmen. For example, he doesn't like having his back to windows, but instead of suave movements from one seat to another, he twitches and jerks to a more comfortable seat, making the characteristic humorous rather than cool. And this was oddly endearing; although I think the term 'endearing' and John Cusack just go together.

I'd talk more about plot, camera angles, ideology, and the such not, but the film feels more like a background for Cusack. Thank heavens.

Have you guys seen this?

14 comments:

  1. Yes, and while it is watchable because of Lloyd, I mean Cusak, I don't think there is any way I would have watched it if he'd not been in it. Hey I even paid theater money to see 2012!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it but agree that Cusak is enough to make a movie memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this film and saw it shortly after it first came out. 'Course I tend to like almost anything that Cusak is in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strangely, the only Cusack movie I actually like is High Fidelity. And I REALLY like that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love John Cusack ... and this was one of his better ones I think. It has been years since I saw this one; I'd almost forgotten all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy - There's just something about Cusack that makes you have to watch a film, and even if you don't like the movie, you still like him.

    Kathy - It's strange, isn't it? He's just so likable.

    Christina - He is extremely watchable and likable no matter what the movie.

    Greg - High Fidelity is definitely the best movie Cusack has made, but come on, he's adorable in all of them.

    Jenners - You should rewatch it; it's just as fun the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this movie and own the soundtrack - great music! Whenever I think of John Cusack I think of Better Off Dead.... "Two dollars..... I want my two dollars...."

    (Oh tell me you have seen that one!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila - I haven't seen it, but you can bet your best earrings I'm adding it to the Netflix queue right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this movie. I also enjoy everything that Cusack does, because he is very picky about the roles he takes. Just saw him in 2012, and he was the best thing in that wackiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this one not that long ago and really liked it... John Cusack is always great =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, to have time to watch grownup movies and read books! Seems like the only reading I"m doing right now is blogs!

    Thanks for coming by the Empress' place yesterday and reading my post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny Girl - He's awesome; there's no doubt about it.

    Larissa - Absolutely!

    Gigi - I was happy to read the post, and I'm glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love this movie. And John Cusack. And Minnie Driver. This is one of those movies that I will sit and watch whenever it comes on t.v.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched this movie when it came out and was underwhelmed. Still maintin my Cusack crush though :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!