13 September 2010

First Treasure: New and Shiny Things

Monday—First Treasure
We invite you to share with us about a great new book blog you’ve discovered since BBAW last year!  If you are new to BBAW or book blogging, share with us the very first book blog you discovered.  Tell us why this blog rocks your socks off and why you keep going back for more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Asking me to name just one? How about two? In the past year, I have discovered so many new-to-me blogs, that my Google Reader (and my husband) is protesting vehemently. Here are just two of the blogs adding to my daily blog reading and my book wish list:

The New Dork Review of Books
Greg is a fellow Midwesterner, actually we live within two hours - assuming medium to heavy traffic - of each other. I must meet him...I will begin stalking immediately.  Er...what I mean to say is.. Greg defines his reading as follows: "I read and blog about mostly contemporary literary fiction, but often stray into the classics, historical fiction and all varieties of non-fiction as well. Sometimes, I even read Dan Brown." I really appreciate his conversational tone, his honest and personal reviews, and let's face it, his intelligent humor. I like my blogs with a bit of the funny in them.

Amy Reads
Not only do I love her blog, I love her. Amy and I met at BookExpoAmerica/Book Blogger Con, and over the course of five days, I really felt like I got to know her. And she's awesome. Amy's blog features some of the most unique and interesting theme-reads. Recently she's reviewed books with an international spin, particularly Africa-based reads (we can even narrow it down to Nigeria). She also reviews women's studies, literary fiction, YA, paranormal, non-fiction, um...yeah, she's definitely an eclectic reader, which is something I admire in a blogger. Amy's reviews are intelligent, detailed, and honest, and she adds to my wish list something fierce.

 Alix, Amy, and I outside the Javits for the BEA


If you haven't gone over to these blogs yet, go. Now. No, seriously, go.

29 comments:

  1. I chose to write about Amy's blog as well and I'm so jealous that you got to meet her!

    As for the New Dork Review of Books, I found out about it through his nomination for this years BBAW, it is a great blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both excellent books! I was trying to decide between several, including Amy's, but then decided to go with a blog that didn't make the shortlists. Amy's is certainly wonderful, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well since I trust your opinions I will certainly be sure to stop on by these two blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg's blog is new to me but I'm already a huge fan of Amy's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohhh I love Greg's blog! AND *blush* Thank you so much for featuring me. I kind of went a little overboard and listed umm... a lot. You definitely made the cut :D I mentioned our time at BEA as well. I just have way too much trouble cutting down lists to reasonable sizes (as evidenced by the number of books I lug around on trips with me)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the second time Greg's blog has been spotlighted, so I MUST check it out. And I agree, Amy has a pretty fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent choices! Both are great and Amy is awesome because she's an east coast Canadian (like me).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I became aware of New Dork when I was judging for Best Written Blog, and was shaking my head and thinking "where has this guy been, and why didn't I know about him?". He is awesome. And you are right on about Amy! Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY - super pick! I also love seeing the picture from BEA and I am waving at you from over here in Minnesota - saying "HEY BEA friends! Hello!!!!"

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely excellent choices -- I only recently discovered both blogs but have been enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had never seen either of these until today and they are everywhere! I really look forawrd to reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Amy's blog as well, and think she does a great job with finding and discussing eclectic and interesting books! So glad to see that she's one of your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy is a recent discovery of mine--after you guys went to BEA and I saw all the fun posts. I'll definitely have to check out Greg's blog--sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You rule, Trish! Thanks so much for the shout and the kind words...And I'm making extra sure to keep my doors locked at night now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree with you on both these blogs! Great picks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great choices! :) both new to me as well, Greg's new since BBAW awards lists were announced. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I visited Greg's blog for the time just the other day. The name itself is just classic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great blogs to highlight,
    and your blog is getting a few mentions, too! yippee!
    Happy BBAW

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a big fan of the New Dork, too! Good luck with the stalking ;)

    Happy BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a fan of Amy's but have just discovered New Dork through this year's nominations. Good call on both!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been following Amy since BEA. I mean, you know what they say, "Bloggers watch Bollywood together stay together" right? They do say that, don't they? If they don't, they should. ;-)

    The New Dork Review is a new one for me. I like my blogs with a side of funny, too, so it sounds like it might be one for the feed reader!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both good choices! I almost included Greg on my list because I like his blog and like dorky things, and I already had Amy. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I found your blog via Estella's Revenge. Its great to meet you. I too enjoy Greg's wit and humor and i try to stop by every now and then. Amy Reads however is new to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everyone is doing such a great job recommending and spotlighting blogs! I haven't had the pleasure of checking out Greg's blog yet, but I'm heading over there now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Greg's blog is new to me, but I am a big fan of Amy's already.

    I particularly like the Nigerian literature connection you have. I have a tenuous connection at best to Nigeria, but I do enjoy the writing from Nigerian authors, and I really should make an effort to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Two new-to-me blogs. Off to browse...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great picks! Both blogs are staples in my reader!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!