05 September 2010

Sunday Salon: Semantics, Pulp Fiction, and Remakes


I am finally feeling back to normal now that the family has traveled back to their respective homes and school's evened out as we start week 3. My reading and blogging is getting back to normal as well. Thank the book gods.

This past week I've read Dust by Joan Francis Turner, a zombie book which didn't quite do it for me. My full review will be up Tuesday when the book releases. Dust was my BUYA (pronounced boo-yah), meaning it was my Break Using Young Adult. After, I grabbed up Mary Roach's Packing for Mars, and while I am completely loving her snarky intellectual wit, I do need a break from it every now and then. Plus the third volume of Fables, Storybook Love, was just calling to me from the shelf, so I had no choice but to read it.  Still not wanting to jump back into space with Mary, I read Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander, the first book in one of my favorite YYA (young young adult)/middle grade fiction series. My fingers were itching to pick up book 2, but I thought "Geez Trish, get back to Mary." So I went over to pick it up, and then I saw volume 4 of Fables and my good intentions went out the window. It's back to Mary today though, and I'm really going to try to stay focused on read the rest of Packing for Mars.

Why am I telling you all this you might ask? Well, it got me thinking about how I read books. I'm always in shock that people will read multiple books simultaneously, and I always claim that I'm a one-book-at-a-time kind of reader. I still maintain that I am despite what may seem like damning evidence above. Let me explain:

When I envision someone reading multiple books, I see them bouncing back and forth, reading twenty pages of Book A one day, thirty pages of Book B the next morning, floating back to Book A that night, and so on. I do not do this. I do, however, stop reading one book and read one whole book before going back to the first. For me, this does not qualify as reading more than one book at a time. Semantics right?

My question for you today is: Do you guys 1) read one and only one book; 2) read many books simultaneously; or 3) read one book in the middle of reading another?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I put up a Top Covers post yesterday focused on pulp fiction covers. The top two:
I have little postcardish versions of both of these in my office at the college. They are just so wonderfully strange. The more I looked at the post though, the more I thought I should elaborate a bit. Some points I want everyone to know as they peruse my pulp fiction covers:
  • I do not believe Satan was a Lesbian. I like these covers for their ridiculousness, not any sort of sympathetic feeling.
  • I have never read these books, and probably never will as I'm sure they are horribly sexist and full of frustrating gender and sexual cliches.
  • I do not prefer girls; although I sometimes wish I did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Enough of the me-me-me. Greg over at The New Dork Review of Books put up a wonderful post about remakes that I think you should all check out. After reading Dracula, My Love by Syrie James, I really got to thinking about retellings and how much I like them (this is of course based on the very very few retellings I've actually read). I had not considered the relationship to film remakes, however, something I generally despise. I wondered why remaking a movie would tick me off in a way book retellings do not, but then I realized. When they revisit a book, it is typically manipulated heavily. The story is told from an entirely new perspective, they change the setting/time period, etc. They intervene within the text dramatically, and in essence create something new. In film, however, they tend to just remake the original with very little creative changes. I am, of course, making generalizations here. But what do you guys think about book v. film remakes?

Okay, now I'll stop jabbering and go head off to space with Mary.

26 comments:

  1. I am always in the midst of more than one book. Infact three...

    One a poetry book, one a crime fiction, one anything that takes my fancy..

    I like those pulp fiction covers!Perry Mason novels had those!

    :D]

    Here is my Sunday Salon post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have multiple books going, but not really. I always have a print book that I am reading, I always have an audiobook in progress, and always have an audiobook going with the kids. They really don't overlap in my mind. I need to go check out Greg's post. I recently discovered him - he is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read one book at a time. The only time I break that is if I'm also reading a book of short stories as that's the time of book I can dip in and out of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work my books much the way you do. For example, right now I'm reading two to three books. One is an audio, which I only listen to when I exercise or drive. The second is Bleak House, which I'm purposefully reading in installments. Then, when I'm done with my required installments, I take a break from Dickens and go read something else, something that usually is faster and more fun than Dickens. If I have no long books going or books that I need breaks from, I read one at a time. The only time i have more than one going is if one is a frequent-break sort of book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gautami - I think most bloggers are like you in that regard.

    Sandy - I have never considered whether simultaneous mediums count... And Greg is definitely awesome!

    Nikki-ann - Going back and forth to a short story book makes sense!

    Amanda - I put a book down and read one in the middle for exactly that reason, a break, and if I'm reading the type of book that doesn't require some downtime, I don't pick up anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say that I'm currently reading five books. I read them in 50 page chunks. If one of them really grabs me I'll go ahead and read it to the end.

    And, I just want movies to be good. I don't really care if they are remakes or not. I go to a lot of plays and have seen the same play staged many different times. I've seen three Medea's for example. A new staging can completely change what I thought about a play before. Why should movies be any different?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I try to read multiple books at the same time my head feels like it's going to explode. I eventually end up putting one down in favor of the other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't think you believed Satan is a Lesbian, but that might be the most bizarre title yet. I wish I had books like that, though I'd never read them either.

    Anyway I usually read 2 or 3 books at a time that way I have one for every mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually only read one book at a time. Even with read-a-longs, I usually only read those in between books.

    I am unsure about whether or not I will read Mary Roach's new book. I am definitely interested in reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually read two books at a time. Sometimes three if they're from highly divergent genres.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try to stick to one book at a time but for the most part, when I read more than one it is sort of like what you say. I take a break from one and then read a whole different book and then return to it. Every once in a while I'll have two I want to read part of in one night, but then it takes too long to finish a book so I usually try to finish a whole book before moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. James - I agree that when a movie has been newly staged or changed in some way I have no problem whatsoever. I think my main problem is when it's a remake like Psycho, The Exorcist, etc.

    Jill - I can't go back and forth for the exact same reason!

    Chris - I had to say that as I got an email from a "concerned person". :)

    Stephanie - I'm about half way through Packing for Mars, and so far I'm enjoying it in the same way I enjoyed the rest of her books!

    Alex - I just don't know how you guys do it!

    Jenny - Exactly! I feel like it takes me much longer to read if I don't stick to one book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am shocked and slightly saddened that you do not believe Satan is indeed a woman. Dear Beelzebub! Why do you think *her* name gets confused with Satin frequently. D'oh.

    Allrighty then. I'll stop my snark. Still love the book covers and who knows, I'd be the type who'd probably read one or two just to have a lookysee.

    As for books, I think that I read like you. I've got a non fictiony book going on that I keep moving away from every thirty to forty pages to wet my fictional whiskers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear Dust didn't work for you. I'm pretty sure I've got a copy of that lurking in my BEA plunder (a majority of which is *ahem* still in the box despite repeated removals for ogling purposes).

    I've recently made my return to book monogamy, with mostly good results. I've experimented with having several book partners only to find that when I do, I tend to not get really engrossed in any of them. The whole being totally wrapped up in a book feeling is one of the things I like most about reading. It was something I was really missing almost without realizing it. It's nice to have it back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One at a time for pleasure reading, usually because I have to read so much for class anyway.

    (I love the cover of Satan Was a Lesbian. I wish I had a poster of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do read multiple books the way you described imagining that other people do. I list on my Sunday Salon posts the books that I am currently reading, but usually I'm actually reading more than that. The reasoning behind not listing the other books is that I have about three books that I am actively reading (definitely fitting in some of each book each day), then a few that I read off and on - maybe once or twice a week (usually nonfiction that's easy to pick up and put down), then I have my stack next to my bed, and I pick the one off the top and read a few pages each night to see if it catches my attention. If it does I continue to read a few pages each night until I become engrossed in the book and move it downstairs, or get bored and give up. Whew! I do believe that was a ridiculously long run-on sentence. :)

    I also have an audiobook going in the car and one in the house on my mp3 player. Oops, and a book on the kindle. Yikes! I think I'm starting to sound very addicted and pathetic at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't read more than one novel at a time. It would mix me up and I feel like I am doing a disservice to the author. If I am having trouble with my current book (for instance, it is moving slowly or I am not in the right frame of mind to appreciate the story), then I give myself permission to take a break with something non-fiction like a cookbook or a collection of essays. When I had a data entry job, I would listen to novels on audio while having a print book on the go. I don't count that, though, because I could finish an entire audio book on a single shift so I never got the plots confused.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christina - Too funny! Nonfiction books sometimes need fictiony breaks; I agree completely.

    Megan - Dust was definitely not a top read for me, but I seem to be in the minority (of a rather small population) on that one.

    Clare - Go to artsnotdead.com. It has great posters of pulp covers!

    Alyce - That is insane! I don't know how you guys do it!

    Dani - Reading entire novels while taking a break from a harder read is definitely what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Normally I only read one book at a time, but right now I find myself in the middle of 5!! Some of them are getting very short shrift though and I am not sure how this whole multiple book thing has happened, other than the fact that there is just too much I want to read at one time. It's very nerve wracking, to tell you the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to read lots of books at the same time, but I've shifted to just one at a time now. Well, technically two, since I have a book on my nook for the gym and then a "real book" for other times, but it feels like two different things they aren't really connected. I finish books faster this way, I think, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have two audios going - one in the hosue and one in the car as well as a car book and a house book. While I may sit a book down and pick up another I usually go back to the first and finish - just sometimes need a genre break.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used to read handfuls of books at the same time growing up. I think I was just so thirsty for the exposure to all those worlds I couldn't be patient enough to drink them in one at a time.

    Now, I think the only way I could read more than one at a time is if one was fiction and one was non-fiction. Or a YA and a classic. Completely different genres - one to suit opposing moods, time restraints and make it easy enough to keep the plots separate.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh ... you mean you aren't a lesbian Satanist? Thanks for clearing that up!! HAHA!

    I used to ONLY read one book at a time, but then realized that I could read two at one time ... IF they were wildly different -- say, like The Brothers Karamazov and any book printed after 2000. (There is NO way I could read The Brothers K without something to leaven the pain. I would literally bore myself to death.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read one book at a time. Well, usually. Occasionally I'll get sick of one and need a break, but I feel like it takes me forever to finish anything if I waffle back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I've given you the One Lovely Blog Award!

    You can check it out here:

    http://brazilianbookworm.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Zibilee - I know what you mean. I think the only reason I've even started reading books in the middle of others is that I have so many books I want to be reading.

    Kim - I think that it makes sense to have one audio and one print book going at the same time. Now if only I could get into audio...

    Sheila - You are one of those people who amaze me with their multi-reading. I don't know how you do it!

    Bumbles - That's exactly why I sometimes read a book in the middle of reading another; genre burn out.

    Jenners - I completely understand. The Bros K sounds like a needs-a-break kind of book.

    Andi - That's why I tend to stick to one; going back and forth seems to lengthen the whole reading experience.

    May - Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!