11 November 2010

Helen of Troy: One Hot Bitch

Helen is lauded as the most beautiful woman in all the world (at least in Greece after her death). She was half goddess, the daughter of Leda (aka Nemesis) and Zeus. Being the daughter of Zeus is pretty big news, but really Helen's claim to fame is that she started the Trojan War when she ran off to Troy with Paris. Well, some say she absconded with him, but others say he abducted her.

Her husband Menelaus wanted her back, so along with his brother Agamemnon, he waged war against Troy for ten years. The fight was long (obviously) and bloody, but eventually the Spartans won when they hid inside a giant wooden horse. The Trojans brought the horse into the city walls believing it to be an offering to the gods. But at night, the Spartans escaped the horse and sacked the city. Helen was recaptured and/or rescued and returned to Menelaus.

The Odyssey states that Helen was complicit in leaving Sparta. When we first meet her in the epic poem, Helen says: "...launching your headlong battles just for my sake, shameless whore that I was." I'm not sure if this is sarcastic, flirty, or sincere, but either way it definitely indicates she left of her own free will.  Sappho, a female Greek poet (circa 620 BCE), agrees that Helen was a naughty girl:
Some say a host of horsemen, others of infantry and others
of ships, is the most beautiful thing on the dark earth
but I say, it is what you love
Full easy it is to make this understood of one and all: for
she that far surpassed all mortals in beauty, Helen her
most noble husband
Deserted, and went sailing to Troy, with never a thought for
her daughter and dear parents.
In The Odyssey, Helen attempts to alleviate her own responsibility:
I yearned to said back home again! I grieved too late for the madness
Aphrodite sent me, luring me there, far from my dear land,
forsaking my own child, my bridal bed, my husband too,
a man who lacked for neither brains nor beauty.

That little vixen. In her defense, the gods are blamed for many personal failings and obstacles throughout the book. I have to admit I'm surprised Menelaus wanted her back and that she is re-elevated to her position as queen so easily. She must have been one serious hottie. Despite Menelaus's forgiveness and her radiant beauty, Helen becomes despised by many Trojans for the deaths of so many.

A poem called Helen by Hilda Doolittle (1886-1961) captures this feeling:
All Greece hates
the still eyes in the white face,
the lustre as of olives
where she stands,
and the white hands.

All Greece reviles
the wan face when she smiles,
hating it deeper still
when it grows wan and white,
remembering past enchantments
and past ills.

Greece sees, unmoved,
God's daughter, born of love,
the beauty of cool feet
and slenderest knees,
could love indeed the maid,
only if she were liad,
white ash and funeral cypresses.

Helen's sister Clytemnestra features prominently in The Odyssey as well. Agamemnon's wife, Clytemnestra broke faith with her husband and had an affair with Aegisthus. The two of them murdered Agamemnon the very day he returned from his victory over Troy. This story is the focus of Aeschylus' Agamemnon, the first in a dramatic trilogy. Clytemnestra is pretty pissed with her sister since her own daughter had to be sacrificed before the Spartans could sail to Troy. Clytemenestra said: "it is buying what we most detest with what we hold most dear" so even before her daughter's death, she clearly wasn't too fond of Helen.

Ah Helen, beautiful and deadly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Echoes of Man is my month-long sojourn into antiquity. I plan on entering the ancient world and basking in its glory for the entire month of November.

During this time, I will be reading and reviewing literature of the time and posting about related topics. If you have anything you would like to add - a review, an informative post, etc. - let me know. I would love to have you join in!
~~~~~~~~~~

Echoes of Man Image from ~darkmatter257 at deviant art
Helen of Troy from wikimedia commons
Helen of Troy by Howard David Johnson
Diane Kruger from Troy (2004)
Rossana Podesta from Helen of Troy (1956)

18 comments:

  1. I was quite surprised to find her back at home with Menelaus...does the man have no pride??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little vixen she was. I'm shocked that Menelaus took her back, so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a copy of Helen of Troy from Margaret George that I am dying to read. Helen has always fascinated me for some reason, though I know little about her. I loved this post and wanted to say thanks for sharing it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way back in my undergraduate days I read Homer for a classics class. Our professor continually stressed that the Greek texts refer to "Helen and her goods" just about every time they mention her. She felt that it was her wealth Paris and everybody else was really after.

    I've always been much more drawn to Cassandra myself. Now she's an interesting character.

    It's been fun to read the recent spate of posts about Homer lately. Thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a wonderful YA novel called THE GODDESS OF YESTERDAY that tells of Helen through the eyes of an unwilling young girl who accompanies her to Troy. The author is Caroline Cooney. A great read.

    I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee, awesome post! I was curious about her first lines in The Odyssey too - is she serious, or just teasing, or what? It's not really clear, but very curious. Crazy Greek ladies, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen is such an interesting character and deserves a nice recap like this. In The Iliad she constantly calls herself a whore but Priam, whose city is being destroyed, makes clear that he doesn’t hold her personally accountable for the murder and mayhem. In The Odyssey I liked where she drugged the wine so that when her husband and Odysseus talked about the war they would be soothed—there’s something kind in her action. Then I had a complete change of heart when Odysseus talks about her testing the Trojan horse and almost revealing the ruse.

    As to her blaming the gods for her actions, Zeus attempts to preemptively rebut her excuse. But does he really? He says humans bring about their own downfall through their own actions that are counter to fate. But if their actions are consistent with their fate, whose fault is it? Or is it nobody's fault? Yet another wonderful thing to ponder in Homer’s world of gods and men and fate.

    Having recently finished Herodotus’ Histories, I liked his proposal that Helen never made it to Troy and stayed on the sidelines in Egypt during the Trojan War. Helen seems to lend herself to whatever scenario you want to paint about her…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill - Exactly! How hot do you have to be to run off with another man, start a war, and still end up queen?

    Amy - Right? Her feminine wiles must have been some serious shit.

    Heather - I can't wait to read your thoughts on the book!

    James - Cassandra has only been mentioned briefly in the works I've read, but she does seem really interesting. Any recommendations on what I should read to learn more about her?

    Vicky - Thanks! I will definitely add that one to the wish list.

    Kim - The ladies are pretty interesting in these old texts - they are so varied.

    Dwight - The locus of responsibility in human success and failure is definitely iffy in ancient times. The relationship between the gods and humans is absolutely fascinating and most definitely contradictory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I missed that Helen and Clytemnestra were sisters. Ack, what a pair.

    I was annoyed to find that, in The Odyssey, Helen is back with Menelaus. I refuse to believe she was abducted fully against her will and, therefore, feel she deserves far less than to be reinstalled in her home, with her husband, like nothing ever happened.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the title to your post! An apt word to describe her, in my opinion. I didn't realize the connection between Helen and Clytemnestra. Very interesting! I guess it makes more sense what Clytemnestra did if she was upset that they went to war in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I now know they were sisters??

    Duh.

    Helen of Troy has always fascinated me, she is just so cold hearted. And does what she has to do, without inner turmoil.

    Now, I have to read again.
    How you write book reviews so rivetingly, it's such an art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin - I'm so with you. I've never believed she was in any way 'kidnapped'. She was just a wee bit hot to trot for her time. :)

    Kristi - Thanks! I never realized they were sisters either!

    Oh Lady Empress - Thanks so much! And she was definitely cold hearted, so amazingly selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotta love your post title!! And it was fun to see all the different versions of Helen there are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I love this month, and I'm sad that I haven't been on the internet so much this week, and I've missed it until now. :D Has anyone recommended (if they have and I missed it, forgive me) Zachary Mason's The Lost Books of the Odyssey? It's metafiction of the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When my brothers and I were little my dad used to say, "Now, THERE'S the face that launched a thousand ships" whenever one of us had a messy face (like at dinner). Fastforward many years to my junior year in college, when I took "Greek and Roman Epic Poetry" (terrible professor, unfortunately, so I do not have fond memories of reading those epic poems) and read that line. It was yet another "ah-ha!" moment when I figured out my dad had been mocking us without our knowing. The literate little booger :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenners - I do so love putting pictures in my posts!

    Jenny - Ooohh metafiction. I will have to check that one out.

    Emily - I really want to meet your dad; he sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He is actually awesome. My childhood was filled (unbeknownst to me at the time) with little things like that. He called us "small fries," and it was until I studied the life cycle of the salmon in the eighth grade that I learned that a fry is a baby fish. So yes, my own father called me a fish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Helen was very modest. She was destined to go with Paris, Aphrodite promised him! and Emily, your dad is totally hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!