14 November 2010

Literary Blog Hop: Hard Reading

Literary Blog Hop
This blog hop is open to blogs that primarily feature book reviews of literary fiction, classic literature, and general literary discussion. This week's question comes from Debbie Nance at Readerbuzz

What is the most difficult literary work you've ever read? What made it so difficult?

This is my first time participating in the Literary Blog Hop, but I just found the question so intriguing, in part because nothing immediately came to mind. I've read many difficult reads, I know that, but for the life of me, I couldn't think of a single one the first few times I read the question.

A quick look through some "Most Difficult Reads" lists gave me a few ideas: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, The Stranger by Albert Camus, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Middlemarch by George Elliot, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, and blah blah blah.

These books do not feel like the most difficult reads to me, so I headed over to my bookshelves to solve the conundrum. Five seconds later I was convinced of my most difficult read:
Rhetorica ad Herennium, possibly by Cicero but maybe not, was written in the first century BCE and details the uses of rhetoric, particularly in regards to persuasion. It's some heavy shit people. Brilliant lessons written artfully abound. Of course, the translation plays a large role in the prose; sentence construction and word usage most likely vary from one translator to the next. Mine was...complex. At the same time, regardless of how the content is written, the concepts articulated are weighty and require careful consideration for complete understanding. You must turn the brain on to process. An interesting overview plus the complete outline can be found at Brigham Young University.

I read this and Cicero's De Oratore, all three books, for a Classical Rhetoric course while in my Masters program. Not exactly pleasure reading, but I do have to say that the ideas presented are rather awesome. I probably would do well to remember the lessons, but alas I have blocked them from memory due to the pain of learning them. :P

Oddly enough - and I swear I didn't plan this - my choice of books works with my Echoes of Man theme this month where I journey through ancient times. How serendipitous!

Now, of course, this probably doesn't count as "LITERARY", so I'll add in another difficult read with a more literary bent ( as in text for the purposes of storytelling ).  The only one that really comes to mind is Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose:
For full thoughts, read my review of The Name of the Rose. Of The Name of the Rose's 502 pages, I probably only fully comprehended half. This was not just a murder mystery, but also a lengthy discourse on religious politics, literary theory, the nature of truth, semiotics, logic, the validity of inquisitions, syllogisms, and history. I was fascinated even as I was confused. Overall though, the book is a good story with many and diverse characters, beautiful language, and intriguing philosophies.

While I acknowledge the difficulty of the book, I must say that reading it does not resonate as a "difficult experience" because I enjoyed it so much. In other words, don't let the rating of difficult keep you from reading this one!

16 comments:

  1. Hmm, I really need to read The Name of the Rose. Or at least see the movie.

    Cicero I wouldn't read. Not in a million years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing that The Name of the Rose is difficult, but at the same time it goes sound like I'd find it worth the time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bad sign when you don't even know what the title says!

    The Brothers Karamazov is at the top of my list. What a surprise, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I'm completely anti-The Name of the Rose, and this just put it further away from me ever trying it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yeah - The Name of the Rose was friggin' difficult. Remember the pages-long discussion about whether Jesus laughed or not? Good Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. Those Loeb classics books are beautiful, aren't they? On the shelf at least ... hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've even considered trying either of your picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a bookseller we had a customer who collected the Loeb classics. Need I add that he was on the elderly side?! Not many people get an education in classical rhetoric these days, and that is probably our loss....

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Name of the Rose was difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Cicero! Cicero's my favorite favorite! Or at least close. I'm crazy about him. I studied Latin in high school, and I had to read a ton of Cicero, including the first Catilinarian Oration. I loved him in spite of the very very complicated sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Name of the Rose was definitely tough, but well worth every second! But then again, I'm a huge Eco fan, in both fiction and nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a hard time thinking of books as well. But I don't think I've ever given up on a book because of difficulty (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering what you were going to list as I think a lot of what you read seems like hard reading to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have wanted to read The Name of the Rose for so long, but I am just so intimidated by it! I may have to rethink it and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nikola - I definitely think you should read Name of the Rose - and definitely shouldn't read Cicero. :)

    Ana - I really did think it was worth it. After reading, I actually wish I had read up on the history of the time period to better situate myself (instead of wishing I'd never picked it up).

    Jill - I agree completely! And you should have seen the other SIX books we had for that class. Tough stuff I tell you. Ahhhh, so glad I'm done.

    Amanda - Awww, that's too bad. Despite it's difficulty, it's such a good read.

    Greg - LOL! Yes! I have to admit though parts like that were both tedious and yet still kind of entertaining.

    Ingrid - They do look really cool on the shelves; they're little, compact, clean-cut looking... but the reading, my oh my, the reading.

    Erin - The Name of the Rose is worth it; Cicero is not, in my opinion at least.

    Lisa - I do think we lose something by not teaching classical rhetoric! And yet I remember very little about it from my classes I must admit. I think it may not be the most important content, but it certainly does teach you how to think (which in my opinion is much more important).

    Mystica - Yes it was! But worth the trouble.

    Jenny - Ha! I don't hate him, but I did find reading him difficult. Glad to hear there's someone out there who truly loves his work though. :)

    Nancy - I really loved The Name of the Rose; it was such a complex read, but the complexity was a big part of the reason I liked it (and the characters).

    Allie - Me neither. I primarily give up on books because they are boring, and complexity is rarely boring in my experience. I'm reading Ulysses this January, so we'll see if that opinion holds up...

    Jenners - I swear most of it isn't difficult! A few of them sound hard to read, but really we are talking about sheep in wolves' clothing.

    Heather - I enjoyed it despite it's difficulty; and even though I only understood about half of the "issues" being presented, I had no problem following the main storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Umberto Eco, not just, Name of the rose, Baudolino, The island Of the day before & am in agreement with NancyO, have enjoyed his non-fiction such as The Theory of Semiotics. not the same degree of passion for cicero, but it was a long time ago & can,t remember the translation but it was dull.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!