09 November 2010

Sappho

Sappho of Lesbos lived in the mid 600s BCE off the coast of Asia Minor. Her contemporaries so admired her poetry they referred to her as the tenth Muse, a true feat for a female who wrote primarily about "girlhood, marriage, and love, especially the love of young women for each other and the poignancy of their parting as they leave to assume the responsibilities of a wife." Her writing suggests a strong community of women who had their own society in the midst of the more patriarchal world in which they lived.

In an effort to not buy so many books - and a laziness regarding the library - I chose to read the selections from Sappho provided by the Norton Anthology of World Literature and the Bedford Anthology of World Literature. While not quite as awesome as reading books dedicated solely to the poet, I'm still quite pleased with what I was able to read. Besides, not much of Sappho's work remains as she was a victim of censorship long before the FCC started butting its nose into people's business.

In Sappho's case, the snooty destroyers of poetry primarily came from the Christian Church. In two separate centuries (fourth and eleventh) two high ranking religious officials, a Bishop and a Pope, ordered her work destroyed. Her work survives as quotes in others' texts and on strips of papyrus found by Egyptologists. Apparently these strips were found in the mouths of mummified crocodiles - not exactly the most noble use of her poetry, but what can you do?
The Norton and Bedford Anthologies offer quite different selections from Sappho. Seven short works are presented in the Bedford: It's no use, Sleep Darling, Don't ask me what to wear, Lament for a Maidenhead, He is more than a hero, You know the place: then, and I have had not one word from her. In the Norton Anthology, we have "Throned in splendor, deathless, O Aphrodite", "Like the very gods in my sight is he", and "Some there are who say that the fairest thing seen": three slightly longer and a bit more formal works; although I believe the second is probably due to the difference in translators. For example, I'm sure the following two poems - one from Norton and one from Bedford - are the same poem by Sappho.

Like the very gods in my sight is he who
sits where he can look in your eyes, who listens
close to you, to hear the soft voice, its sweetness
murmur in love and

laughter, all for him. But it breaks my spirit;
underneath my breast all the heart is shaken.
Let me only glance where you are, the voice dies,
I can say nothing,

but my lips are stricken to silence, under-
neath my skin the tenuous flame suffuses;
nothing shows in front of my eyes, my ears are
muted in thunder.

And the sweat breaks running upon me, fever
shakes my body, paler I turn than grass is;
I can feel that I have been changed, I feel that
death has come near me.
~~

He is more than a hero

He is a god in my eyes -
the man who is allowed
to sit beside you - he

who listens intimately
to the sweet murmur of
your voice, the enticing

laughter that makes my own
heart beat fast. If I meet
you suddenly, I can't

speak - my tongue is broken;
a thin flame runs under
my skin; seeing nothing,

hearing only my own ears
drumming, I drip with sweat;
trembling shakes my body

and I turn paler than
dry grass. At such times
death isn't far from me


Which do you prefer? What sort of difference in meaning do you see between the two poems? Just curious as to what you guys think of these two poems. I definitely have my own opinion on meaning, but I'd love to hear what others see in it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Echoes of Man is my month-long sojourn into antiquity. I plan on entering the ancient world and basking in its glory for the entire month of November.

During this time, I will be reading and reviewing literature of the time and posting about related topics. If you have anything you would like to add - a review, an informative post, etc. - let me know. I would love to have you join in!
~~~~~~~~~~

Echoes of Man Image from ~darkmatter257 at deviant art

18 comments:

  1. Wow, the Norton anthology series has always been a favorite of mine, but really if I could fit mummified crocodiles on my bookshelves it would be much more fun to read out of them than out of Norton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading the version of these poems translated into the volume "If Not, Winter" in December, when our GLBT mini-challenge is to read poetry. I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the second - it feels rawer and more powerful. Definitely a case of less is more to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also prefer the second. It seems more passionate somehow to me. The first wasn't bad, but I got more feeling from the second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sappho's poems - what there is of them - and highly recommend 'If Not, Winter' if you haven't read it, of all the books, I think, it's the one where the book itself tells a story, entirely apart from the words that are written in it. There is something haunting and almost MORE powerful in the fragmentary nature of Sappho's last remaining words, it reminds of the way that a scene is more erotic if it doesn't describe things too explicitly - those interstitiary spaces, hints and murmurs, leave your mind to sort of tell itself stories, so the poems become so personal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I also though the second, but then I read the first more carefully and I opt for the first. I am not a native English speaker so maybe I get this all wrong: to me the first has a different meaning, it is not necessarily about three persons. It is about the wonderful addressee and the tongue-tied narrator, who could not speak to her, even if (s)he came close. So the first version is not about envy but about the intimidation because the loved one is so superior. In the second version it rather sounds like envy towards the "man who is allowed ...".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill - LOL! I thought the crocodile story was interesting too.

    Amanda - I'll have to check out some of the more complete collections. I actually enjoyed her poetry which is unusual for me.

    Ana - I found the two to be pretty different from each other despite the obvious sameness (if that makes sense). I can see what you mean by the less is more comment though.

    Heather - I can definitely see that. The second seems clearer somehow.

    Jason - I agree. It's like there's this air of mystery which makes them more intriguing, like little nudges to your subconscious.

    Mystica - That seems to be the consensus.

    Chris - I agree that the two have a big difference in meaning regarding the number of characters in the poem. That is exactly how I felt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the first poem, I focused on the use of words, and in the second, I focused on the emotions. So I prefer the second.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I have to speak out about this: I like the first one!

    Also, poor Sappho, having her poems stuffed into crocodiles. Thanks for that weird tidbit, Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the second, too...it took me a few readings of the first to catch the emotion, and the meaning. The second was more in your face. I need that with poetry. :-D

    And I'm so glad to reading about women in ancient Greece. I'm not too happy with the fainting Penelope in The Odyssey...she's getting the raw end of the deal in that story, stuck at home while Odysseus is off gallivanting about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it sad to think of all that we've lost through the ages? At least the crocodiles saved some. Now I wonder... was it put there for some weird purpose, or was it put there to try to save some?

    Anyway, I don't know which I like more. I like both, in different ways. Overall though I kind of like the first :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the second one better (simpler to understand, easier to read) but it does seem to have a different meaning than the first one ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stephanie - That makes perfect sense!

    Cass - I thought that crocodile thing was simultaneously hilarious and sad! :)

    Jill - You should definitely read Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad; it offers such a great perspective on Penelope!

    Amy - It definitely is sad. How many "shakespeares" have we lost!?! I think it was just put there to preserve the shape...

    Heather - I get the feeling that the meaning of the two poems is the same, but it's like one translator wanted to gloss over the lesbianism. At least that's what I get from them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mouths of mummified crocodiles?

    I'm recovering from a cold and I'm really fixating on the weirdest parts of your posts as I try to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post. This is my favourite version here:

    http://teaandbooks.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/sappho/

    Bit different again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm dying to read Sappho properly, but so far I never have, for some reason. Catullus loved her, and I loved Catullus, so Sappho has to be awesome for me. It's heartbreaking that so little of her work survives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenners - I see nothing wrong with fixating on the weird stuff; it's how I prefer to be as well.

    Tea Drinker - Thanks for the link!

    Jenny - I love that link system there: Catallus loved her and I loved Catallus. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!