05 December 2010

Sunday Salon: Quantifying Literature

The New York Times published an article which absolutely fascinated me this weekend. Large-scale quantitative analysis and literature are not often mentioned in the same system. Recent advantages in technology, particularly in database capabilities, are shaping a new landscape in the study of literature. Imagine if you could run a search for the word "humane" in every book ever published, or just in every book published by Irish men. Searches such as these and the subsequent analysis can offer great insight into literary and philosophical studies.

The current study revolves around Victorian literature. Two researchers are now studying the 1,681,161 books which were published in Britain around the 19th century. They have access to the full texts of every single one of these books. Impressive right?
Their starting point was an earlier work that focused on the written word as an entry point into the era: Walter E. Houghton’s “Victorian Frame of Mind, 1830-1870,” a landmark book published in 1957 that has shaped generations of scholarship, even as its conclusions have been challenged. Mr. Houghton sought to capture what he called a “general sense” of how middle- and upper-class Victorians thought, partly by closely reading scores of texts written during the era and methodically counting how many times certain words appeared. The increasing use of “hope,” “light” and “sunlight,” for instance, was interpreted as a sign of the Victorians’ increasing optimism. 
This sort of quantifiable information can guide scholars' insights into a culture by analyzing the prevalence and use of key terms. It also offers an opportunity for lesser-known works to come to the forefront as they are included in these larger databases.

The worries are many of course. The size requirement for servers is of course rather astronomical, meaning that larger corporations, primarily Google, have to sponsor these sorts of projects. Then of course we have the question of validity: can you extrapolate hypotheses about a culture from an analysis of their literature? Finally, some wonder if this foray into a more mathy-type analysis of literature will negatively affect or diminish the importance of the typical, more subjective form of literary analysis.
Not to worry, say those who embrace the new methods. There is no need to pit computation against interpretation. If anything, Ms. Jenkins argues, large-scale, quantitative research is likely to highlight “the importance and the value of close reading; the detailed, imaginative, heightened engagement with words, paragraphs and lines of verse.

“Close reading,” she continued, “will become even more crucial in a world in which we can, potentially, read every word of Victorian writing ever published.” 
I can't quite decide where I fall on the issue. I'm definitely of the school of thought which believes that much of what literature does is not easily quantifiable. The words and stories touch my soul and challenge my mind in a way that applying statistical analysis will not affect. But can it only be one way or the other?

What do you guys think?

15 comments:

  1. This type of thing really trips my trigger. My background is accounting and analysis, so for me this is exciting. I think you can have both, and I don't think data crunching is going to have much of an effect on the touchy-feely analysis of literature. They are on such opposite ends of the spectrum and uses different sides of the brain. There are some things that numbers just can't capture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think one will have any effect on the other either, but the numerical analysis sounds like a fun thing to know for sociological insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting Trish! I think that this type of analysis will only promote the field of literature and other "soft" arts (and even "soft" sciences, such as psychology and sociology). Validity? To me, there is no question. Are we questioned about the validity of literary analysis when themes are presented? This just strikes me as a microcosm of themes, singular words rather than concepts. (But then, as analysis goes, the identifiable words create the concepts...) The overall usage of words does define the culture and period and even generation. Consider one hundred years from now, individuals studying our forms of literature right at the turn of us embracing technology. Our voice changed with technology. Scanning the literature, so to speak, will validate that hypothesis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this can be used as a useful tool for literary analysis–finding patterns in diction, especially in a culture's canon, would be a great stepping stone for a literary critic. For me, this is not one or the other–it's one that ultimately serves the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do I think? I think this is far more complicated than I can deal with... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did something similar as an introduction to my master's thesis. I was writing about the late Victorian New Woman authors so I made a little graph showing how many articles about them had been published in the last 20 years or so. The results formed the typical bell curve, which was interesting.

    I would have loved to have something like this available, back in 1991. I'm sure it will shape non-numerical critical theory, too. I don't know how, but I'm sure it will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read three books in November. Two of those are Tintin albums and the third carried over from October!

    Right now I am happy to be back in the reading mode, although a bit slower!

    Here is my Sunday Salon post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh. Interesting. I have been known to run Amazon searches on bestselling books to see how often they use certain words (like whether books tend to say the word "good" more often than "bad" (they do)), so I'm totally behind this! I'm not sure what it tells us but I'm all for having information in graphs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this could be fascinating! I don't think being able to quantify books will become the only way to analyze literature, but it could be a very cool way to learn different things about what we read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not sure how I feel about it, but the fact that it is now possible to do these types of things impresses and awes me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy - I agree that there are things numbers can't capture, but my hope is that one won't override the other. :)

    Jill - I think so too. At the least it will just be an interesting look at the similarities and progression of literature.

    Christina - It may lend some validity to the humanities for those who are more left brain. :)

    Clare - It's a great thought to think that they will work together to provide greater understanding.

    Amanda - Hahaha! Exactly!

    James - Don't you love it when technology could have really helped you in the past. I have that all the time.

    Gautami - Thanks for stopping by!

    Jenny - This sounds like it's right up your alley.

    Kim - It does offer the opportunity for a completely new perspective.

    Heather - It is rather impressive; it's just so much data.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fascinating! I kind of like the thought of the statistical analyses and seeing if they tell anything of importance. But then... I am a math nerd ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is hilarious! My dh right now splits his time between a lot of healthcare-related quantitative analysis at work and great literature at home. I must pass this article on to him!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy - It really is a fascinating idea, and I'm still grappling with the possibilities.

    LifetimeReader - I have a cousin with similar split!

    ReplyDelete
  15. in animal crossing i dont have nookingtons and my friend is having a party at her town on sunday august dont know date and my character needs to get her hair done i dont want my friends to know i havent done it yet does anyone have the hair saloon can i get my hair done their please ill pay you bells my name is cynthia town london code 455410477531 pls tell me when and the day i can come pls help me out.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!