17 January 2011

Game On! Diet

Last week I reviewed The Game On! Diet by Krista Vernoff and Az Ferguson.  The diet works on a points system with certain actions gaining points for participants (like eating well, exercising often, and sleeping regularly) and other actions detracting points (like snacking and drinking alcohol). The idea is to set up two teams and see who gets the most points.

I had been toying around with picking this up when I saw the competition between a bunch of bloggers last year, but I kept putting it off. Then Amanda asked if I wanted to join her and some others in a nice, friendly competition based on the book. Yesterday marked the start, and for the next four weeks, I will be playing with:

Team Metamorphosis - aka Those Who Shall Kick Ass
  1. Allie from A Literary Odyssey
  2. Amanda from The Zen Leaf
  3. Christina from Reading Thru Nite
  4. Me (in case you didn't know) - Trisha from eclectic / eccentric
Team Hunger Artists - aka Those Who Shall Bow Down Before Team Metamorphosis
  1. Amy from My Friend Amy
  2. Jason from Moored at Sea
  3. Lu from Regular Rumination
  4. Jenn from Picky Girl

The Details of My Plan

Good Habit
For my good habit, I have decided to practice Spanish for 20 minutes a day. I used to be relatively fluent, but now I sound like a two year old.

Bad Habit
I am very lazy when it comes to housework. Cleaning, cooking, organizing, minimizing, these are not my favorite things to do, so I am going to spend 20 minutes per day doing something useful for my home.

Food and Drink
Five meals a day and about 300 calories per meal seems horrifying to me. I'm one of those weirdos who can skip breakfast and lunch and then pig out from 4pm to 9pm. Apparently that's not healthy...damn. The water requirement - 3 liters per day - seems much more doable to me since I drink a crazy amount of water anyway. Of course, I also drink Diet Coke, and I have to do without for four weeks which brings on a bit of a panic, but I am hopeful. I can't have alcohol either, but as I am not a big drinker, this doesn't scare me too bad.

Exercise
I have some HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts I plan on doing Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesday and Thursday I will be having fun with my Wii Fit Plus. Saturday and Sunday the husband and I will be rocking out Wii Boxing and Tennis. On those days that I just can't bring myself to do the HIIT training, I will be heading for the elliptical. No matter what, I must work out for 20 minutes 6 days a week.

What I Think Will Be Hardest: preparing meals
What I Think Will Be Easiest: drinking all that water

What I Should Remember: how good it feels to wear clothes that fit
What I Should Forget: how good pizza is

What I Hope To Gain: a healthier me (and less thinking about weight)
What I Hope To Lose: all that extra me

How I Will Celebrate If Things Go Well: Drinking a lot of alcohol in Vegas
How I Will Mourn If Things Do Not Go Well: Wearing my size-too-small jeans instead of my pajama bottoms

So here's to healthy eating, hard workouts, and minimizing the muffin top!

11 comments:

  1. I love the No Muffin Top picture. Cracked me up. :)

    I'm trying to wean myself off the Diet Coke as my bad habit. I didn't have any yesterday and I woke up this morning with a withdrawal headache (obviously not healthy). So I feel your pain on not having on Diet Coke!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trisha, the muffin top is hilarious! And like Allie, I feel ya for the Diet Coke.

    But we're gonna do it! You will be in those skinny jeans for Las Vegas, drunk on all of that alcohol, and winning big. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go girl! Love this post. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait. This sounds suspiciously like the dreaded NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION! Accck! Glad you're making it fun at least!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEST to you and your team! and to your competitors, too. If you all lose, you all win, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am going to be cheering you on all the way! I hope that you are able to do very well with this and I will be rooting for you! If you need a pep talk or someone to give you a little encouragement, send me an email, and I will get right on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey it's okay, you don't have to have a muffin top. Just eat the rest of the muffin. If we bow down, it will only be to gnaw at your ankles. Wait, no, that would be snacking. Hrm...

    OK, I'm the worst smack-talker ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here are some tips for meal prep...

    Over the weekend, make a big pot of brown rice and grill some chicken. It makes for good lunches during the week.

    Chop up veggies for snack and package them up so you can grab and go. Same for nuts.

    Cook your rice in veggie broth.

    And buy lots of cheese sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not quite sure how I miss out on these Game On diet challenges - I really must do it next time! Good luck!!

    Stephanie www.stephanieswrittenword.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!