29 January 2011

Sunday Salon: Acting Organized

For today's Sunday Salon, I am pretending to be organized. Generally speaking, I am a flighty person when it comes to schedules. Sometimes I am right on top of it, and then I will forget about stats or scheduled posts for months. Turns out that I'm feeling rather report-oriented today.

MONTHLY QUICK STATS:
I read 11 books this month, 3 of which were nonfiction, and all of which were published in the last 4 years. That's freaking me out. Time for a classic for sure. I shall be saved though because February is the month of Joyce as I, along with other bloggers, tackle Ulysses. You should join us. More people = more fun.

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE BLOG THIS MONTH:

First I considered reading some difficult books, and then I promptly forgot about them. I made some bookish resolutions, and then I promptly forgot about them. One day I'll get back on track. :)

Three authors got me geeking: Tony O'Neill uses burlesque dancers, acrobats, and music to help promote his book Sick City. Syrie James wrote a new paranormal romance novel, and I am giving away a copy! I read Mary Wollstonecraft's A Vindication of the Rights of Woman for the Year of Feminist Classics, and even got so caught up in one of her arguments that I made an entire post on it.

Plowing my way through the Mortal Instruments series like some sort of addict, I read and reviewed City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass. I reviewed a biography of Jane Austen, Missed Her, Scars, Annabel, Jumpstart the World, Blameless, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, Room, and The Book Thief. I also discussed two books that I did not like at all.

I weighed in on the controversy surrounding gender and literary awards for Weekly Geeks. I got a little pissy over being questioned about my choice to read GLBTQ literature. I started the Game On Diet with some other bloggers, and so far I have lost 7 pounds! 

And of course, I participated in some hops, some memes, and some dark days with no posts.

So what did you do during January?

THE GIVEAWAY OF ALL GIVEAWAYS
In case anyone didn't already know, Pam over at Bookalicio.us is having a huge giveaway for her two-year blogoversary. Books, swag, and even a Nook Color are in the prize packs. Make me drool, right? You should head over and check out all her goodies she is so generously giving away.

13 comments:

  1. Can I just say once again that I'm so jealous of your 7 lbs?? Sheesh that's amazing! :D Good for you!

    I must have missed your difficult books post - one of those mark all as read moments, perhaps? In any case, I didn't weigh in there, but I did want to say that while I liked As I Lay Dying better than The Sound and the Fury, I do think S&F is worth reading.

    On the other hand, Joyce = no way in hell for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you act organized, one day you will be organized!! And NO WAY on Ulysses. I know I couldn't hack it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaaah I feel the same way, I read too many contemporary things and I need some classics so my brain can stop frying lol. Congrats on 11 books though, that is amazing. Nocturne looks awesome.

    xo,
    Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you read a lot of great books this month. I loved The Mortal Instruments series and The Book Thief. Also, congratulations on the seven pounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say you pretend well, Trisha... you have me fooled ;)

    Good luck with Ulysses! I'd join you if it weren't for grad school. But as February and March will be busy, I don't think I'll be able to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with Ulysses! Sounds like you've had quite an interesting month :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this monthly review format! I haven't been consistently around, and this makes it easy to see what I've missed and catch up. I hope Ulysses goes well for you guys -- I know I'll enjoy watching from afar. And congratulations on the 7 lbs -- that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that forget about reading resolutions! :-) I do the same thing often. Congratulations on losing seven pounds! I did pretty good this month when it comes to reading but I hope to do better next month. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fact that you can even get all this organized even a little bit impresses me. I am not an organized person, at all, and could never manage to do this no matter how hard I try. This month has been a bad month reading wise, and I am hoping to get back on track in February. I have managed to keep my reading resolutions, and am hoping that I can continue to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems pretty organized to me! Lots of reading, lots of posts and obviously exercise and good food (congrats on the 7 lbs!) Those things don't happen by accident!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looked through my monthly blog archive the other day and realized I only wrote one review--for a book I read last year. I've decided I suck as a book blogger. ;) But I did lots of other fun things instead!!

    Joyce. Yup, I'll probably be monogamous with the fellow in February. And probably March. What are we getting ourselves into?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo-hoo!! 7 pounds is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!