13 February 2011

Burrowed in my Brain

Reading Nicole's post about her Most Memorable Reads of 2010 got me thinking about which books really burrowed in my brain. Within milliseconds I knew that the ones that for some reason won't leave my head are not necessarily the ones which I would consider the "best" reads. So I am being a huge copy cat and listing the books which I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

Room by Emma Donaghue making this list will come as no surprise to those who have read it. The story is written from the perspective of a five-year-old boy who has lived his entire life in a tiny shed with only his mother to keep him company. For Jack, our narrator and protagonist, his life is normal, but the clever way Donaghue spins his words leaves the reader with a sickening feeling in his/her gut at the horrid, abusive situation Jack and Ma are in.

The second book to make the list is actually more memorable, in its specifics, for me than Room. living dead girl by Elizabeth Scott is a first-person account of a 15 year old who is being sexually abused. The language is brutal, simultaneously painful to read and wonderfully authentic.  The lack of a multi-layered plot, the simplicity of the language, kept this a bare-bones, full-frontal assault. I don't think I've ever read a book quite as jarring as this one. It didn't make the best of 2010 list, but it is definitely a story that has imprinted right in the front of my mind.


It really isn't surprising to me that the first two books to pop into my head were both about child abuse, especially since both were written from such unique perspectives. Being right there in the abused's head is much different from a more objective standpoint. Stories like this are so evocative in the first place, and the Scott and Donaghue go and give these poor kids such strong, unique, and heartrending voices.

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters will stay with me for a long time. I really enjoyed this book, not only because it is memorable, but because it is so very well written and contains characters I fell in love with. Often, months after reading a book (sometimes sooner) I will forget the details of what happened, remember only the basics. With Fingersmith, however, I find myself catching similar scenes in other books or comparing characters. The story, the setting, and the characters really have stayed with me.

The House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoevsky is probably my most back-slapping, congratulatory read of the 2010 - I was very proud to have read it - and it was also extremely memorable. How can it not be? Dostoevsky wrote it as a semiautobiographical account of his time in a Siberian prison. Siberian prison, people; this is some memorable stuff. The text is entertaining, beautifully written, thought-provoking, and a wee bit mind-bending from time to time, all of which are things I enjoy with my books.


These are my top four memorable reads of 2010. I was going to do a top five, but I absolutely couldn't decide among the next on the list, so here are the honorable mentions for the most memorable:

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood: Penelope, of The Odyssey, does more than just languish at home for her husband. The really memorable part, however, is the lamentations of the serving girls who Odysseus so brutally slayed.

gods behaving badly by Marie Phillips: The Greek gods are floundering in the twenty-first century.  Slowly losing their power, worshiped by none, they live together in a London home amicably insulting each other and dreaming of better days. What stands out is the hilarity of the story, and a few dirty bits.

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness: The first in a trilogy, this book stands out so very much because of the uniqueness of the plot line: all of the men in town can hear each others' thoughts continuously, something they call the Noise.

So there you have it: my most memorable reads of 2010. Not all of them made my "best of" list, for a variety of reasons, but each one really stands out when I think about last year's reading. What books do you remember most? Did they all make your "best of" list?

14 comments:

  1. I haven't read the others, but I certainly also think of Fingersmith and The Knife of Never Letting Go very often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my top books of the year end up being my most memorable, though I never know about the ones I've read closer to the end of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kind of crazy. Some of my most memorable books are far from my favorites. The ones that really work their way into my brain are the books that I know are well-written and present such true, vivid real-life scenarios that they frustrate me and for that reason have the potential to make me actively dislike a book. For example, Andre Dubus III's The House of Sand and Fog or Laura Moriarty's The Rest of Her Life. I'm not saying I don't find books that I *love* memorable, but it's often books like those two about really real flawed people that just can't give a little to make their lives work that keep poking my mind. I've come to terms with them and accepted them as essentially good books, but that doesn't mean I didn't want to launch them across the room at one point or another. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when a book burrows in your brain! I keep thinking about Les Miserables--which was one of my favorite books last year and one which I still haven't reviewed. I just can't stop thinking about it.

    I agree about Fingersmith. Waters created such a visual story with her writing that I too can remember certain parts more vividly than a usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know what you mean about Room and Fingersmith. I will NEVER forget either of them. I have Gods Behaving Badly on my iPod, and you just reminded me that I need to get right on that. One book that is in my brain forever I think is Red Hook Road. It wasn't a five star, but maybe it should be because I'm still thinking about it to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love copy cats. I would have though that Living Dead Girl would have made my list, but though it was really powerful, I find that I don't think about it much. Maybe I needed to block it out. Isn't it crazy how those things work out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel this idea is very worth stealing. :p I think maybe next year I will make my list be the top ten books I will be rereading early and often. That, to me, is a strong measure of how much I liked a book. (Or would it prejudice me in favor of something like Patrick Ness, which reads hella fast, over Fingersmith, which is superb but takes longer to go through?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating list. Good motivator to read some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes books burrow in my brain that weren't all that good but they were unique or I liked a certain character or I identified with some element of the plot. I love those kinds of books too. They may not be stars but they are little gems!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will not be tricked into reading Dostoeyesky ever again ... not matter how memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! And you made me want to try some more Dostoeyevsky. The only book on your list I read was Fingersmith.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Room and Fingersmith and the others are all on my short list for books to be read this year! I love it when a book just gets in my brain and hides there, making me think about it for months to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fingersmith IS a good one. I should recommend that one more... I keep thinking about The Woman in White. I wonder if it is just the long books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you liked to get to know more about Dostojewski, I would be glad if you became this side to visited ones: http://dostojewski.npage.de/

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!