05 March 2011

A Spammer I Want to Smack

Some serious WTFery occurred on my blog this past week. I deleted about seven of these comments:
Anonymous said...
BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN Why American men should boycott American women I am an American man, and I have decided to boycott American women. In a nutshell, American women are the most likely to cheat on you, to divorce you, to get fat, to steal half of your money in the divorce courts, don’t know how to cook or clean, don’t want to have children, etc. Therefore, what intelligent man would want to get involved with American women? American women are generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste. The behavior of most American women is utterly disgusting, to say the least. This blog is my attempt to explain why I feel American women are inferior to foreign women (non-American women), and why American men should boycott American women, and date/marry only foreign (non-American) women. BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN!

I refuse to click on the link to explore this idiot's train of thought further; although I will admit I am interested, I just can't support the cause by clicking over. What surprises me is not that there are idiots out there who think like this. What surprises me is how immediate and visceral my reaction was to this comment. Things like this actually make me angry. I have a physical response. I get mad. I start arguing out loud. I try to drag other people into the issue (sorry folks) even though they weren't present at the time the argument started. In other words, I get my panties in a twist.

My husband and most family and friends think I over-react. Why let some ignorant, backwoods, chauvinist, misogynist pig bother me? That's giving him too much power. And part of me agrees. If we (er...I) get all worked up over every example of stupidity out there, I am never going to be able to live a life. I will spend all day, every day, pissed off.

On the other hand though, just letting these sort of offensive, oppressive, and obnoxious comments slide past without comment feels like being complicit in the insult. If we don't call attention to sexism, we allow its continuance. We become willing victims. At least in my mind.

What do you guys think? Do we take up arms against this sort of ignorance or brush it off as one lunatic spouting nonsense?

And this is for that Anoymous Misogynist:

18 comments:

  1. My reaction was the same as yours when I read this paragraph. What an a-hole. I can't believe that he was stupid enough to leave a comment on your site. I think we should take up arms but ignore some of it also. I'm sure this guy is a lonely jerk who's looking for attention. I LOVE the flying bitchslap pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flying bitchslap got a giggle from me too!! :) Love that picture and may print it out and hang it on my office wall.
    What I don't understand about people like the anonymous poster is simply "why"...Why spend time on your blog or any other "American woman" blog if you hate American women so much? Obviously just some doofus with nothing else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously this guy is the perfect American man and all the foreign ladies would be lucky to have him bossing them around. Riiiiiight. He's a sad troll. A sad, sad troll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jezebel.com did a bit on this guy recently, I think. It's a front for "buying" poor Asian girls for marriage purposes. The asshole-ry goes deep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Mary Mother of Morons!?!?! You mean this guy is actually an active asshole, not just a philosophy-spouting lunatic! Crap, now I'm even more pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This guy sounds like a total douche, pardon my language. I can't stand guys like that and like you, I get all riled up and pissed when I read things like that.

    But I love the kitties. :) It made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WTF? Clearly this comes from an angry, unhappy person who is trying to beget these negative feelings. I'd be super annoyed if something like that popped up in my comments, but I think it's best to brush it off. Sorry you had to deal with that :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well - if you're feeling angry about it, that's a healthy response. If your friends/hubs are feeling like they aren't bothered by it, that's a healthy response too. These women-hating idiot spammers (ahem...people) and viewpoints affect each of us differently and draw out different emotions. All of those feelings are okay (obv), but as far as taking up arms or brushing it off - do what sits best with you.

    I also love the flying bitchslap. Yet another way lolcats have helped us cope with the more unpleasant aspects of society, imo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heehee. love this---------> "WTFery."

    He is a loser.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's ridiculous. I usually ignore this kind of thing -- I figure it's so fringey it doesn't need any attention from me. The more mainstream versions of wtfery are the versions that (in my opinion) deserve response. But I'm sorry you had such an enormous jerk come commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sad and scary to think there are people like this put in the wrold, at large. Idiotic close minded, butt hole. Love the bitch slap :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes let's all boycott women, they are selfish when they don't want to have kids, and even more selfish when they want to stay at home to take care of the ones they do have, or to continue being career minded. Lazy bitches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After my day today, your picture just makes my day. That flying cat is actually me and the one standing is my regional manager. Thanks for making me laugh. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh believe me, I'd be up in arms as well. My fam/friends tend to think I overreact as well, but I try to point out to them that if everyone sat on their rears and didn't care, then it would be so. much. worse.

    So yeah, ignore him, and he goes away. Yet, it's important to be aware that people like this EXIST. They think this way, and it's horrifying.

    Now, keep envisioning the flying bitchslap, and you'll feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read that obnoxious little outburst to my husband and his response was "someone's bitter". I guess that sums up my feelings in a nutshell, and I love the flying bitchslap as well. He probably needs a few of those to be quite honest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clearly this complete loser has cried himself to sleep one too many times after being turned down by a career-minded woman, a family-oriented woman, a woman who wants to be both...and on and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, what an asshat. Also, I'm a little afraid of the comment before mine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that makes me angry too! What a ridiculous comment. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of clicking through to his site, but man oh man... flying bitchslap definitely necessary!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!