20 April 2011

5 Best Books...with a Female Protagonist

Cassandra of Indie Reader Houston hosts a weekly meme called 5 Best Books where participants list what they feel are the five best books on a given topic. This week's topic is about books with a female protagonist. Now I read a lot of books with female leads, so deciding on the best is damn near impossible, but here are five which came to mind quite quickly.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: Elizabeth Bennett's intelligence, wit, and strength of character ensure her a spot on a strong female leads list. And the book's just down-right good.


His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman: Maybe not the most obvious of choices, nevertheless Lyra Belacqua deserves a spot on this list. Put in an impossible situation, she rises to the occasion.


Wicked by Gregory Maguire: Elphaba's will is what sets her apart in my mind. She must overcome a horrid prejudice against her, and even though she begins different, she still manages to fight against contemporary ideology.

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston: Janie defies stereotypes of gender, race, and class to allow herself the opportunity to grow into an amazing woman despite serious struggles in her life.


The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells: This book is absolutely full of strong female characters. A wee bit crazy. But strong.

What books with strong female leads do you think should make this list?

17 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Janie. She is such a free spirit, so much the essence of a woman. I would add the Stieg Larsson books...no character out there quite like Lisbeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read Wicked, but I did see it's production. *sigh* Absolutely terrific. And I agree, Elphaba is an amazing character.

    I also have to give props up to Jane Austen's Emma. I can't help it. I think she's a brilliant character.

    And I can't believe you left Bella from the Twilight series off the list. Are you kidding me?
    .
    .
    .
    Hahahaha, JUST JOKING. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great great picks! I love that you chose Elphaba. When I think female protaganists, Atwood always comes to mind--she writes females so well. Not sure how many of them are likeable though? ;) I also love that you chose Janie from Their Eyes.

    And like Christina, I prefer Emma over Elizabeth. Maybe it's because she's a little less perfect and likeable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree with Sandy and say that Lisbeth needs a place on that list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire in the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. A no-nonsense woman, brains and can hold her own in medieval Scotland with nooo problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth Bennet is a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a list something like this for international women's day. My list also had Lyra in, plus Ana from My Sister's Keeper, Ma from Room, Minny from The Help and Thursday Next from the Thursday NExt series

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't read Wicked or Ya-Ya, but I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your picks. I think of them all Lyra might just be my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can I choose! Most of the fiction and mysteries I read are by women, about women! There are so many great heroines out there!

    http://bookbirddog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dressed up as Elphaba one Halloween...and no one understood when I insisted I was Elphaba, not the Wicked Witch. *sigh*

    And I'd add Anne Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe I forgot about the Ya-Yas!

    I love your list. Thanks for joining up!

    Here's my list: http://indiereaderhouston.com/blog/archives/1679

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have to nominated Anne of Green Gables and Lisbeth Salander!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any of these except for P&P. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picks! I wouldn't have thought of Lyra, but you're totally right. She's a very strong main character. I might have picked Liesel from The Book Thief too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! I was going to add Liesel from The Book Thief! (points for Kim)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, great question! I admit to never reading the book, but doesn't The Wings of the Dove have very strong female leads? It's been a while since I've mentioned this book, so I'll also just bring up the heroine from Wish Her Safe at Home by Stephen Benatar, who was amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad that you included Elphaba! Perfect choice :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!