10 May 2011

5 Best Books...Set in the Future

Cassandra of Indie Reader Houston hosts a weekly meme called 5 Best Books where participants list what they feel are the five best books on a given topic. This week's topic is about books which take place in the future. Who doesn't love that? The world of dystopia, apocalyptic, and post-apocalyptic stories opens up as well as many science fiction space or time travel type novels. And, well, actually there are many, many novels set in the future. Here's what popped into my mind:

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
1984, Farenheit 451, and Brave New World are always remembered together in my head, but Brave New World gets to grab the position in the top five because the writing is so very wonderful. You know what this is about right?

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Speaking of great writing... Atwood creates a world in which women have been subjugated to specific - and pretty damn degrading - roles in order to "protect" them. Like many dystopian novels, the story reveals a possible future based on contemporary ideologies.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
Valentine Michael Smith, born on Earth's first expedition to Mars, returns to Earth. Raised by Martians, he is completely and utterly ideologically different, and this difference gives Heinlein the opportunity to highlight some of the ridiculousness of us Earthlings. Can you grok it?

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
This is such a fantastic story. An overly intelligent young boy placed in an untenable position: learn to lead and to destroy through a variety of interpersonal and military games. All of it leading up to his ultimate task of proactively saving the planet from alien invasion.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Technically, this takes place in the past, present, and future, but I am counting it because it's just so darn good. I cannot recommend it enough, and I am talking about the entire series here by the way.

18 comments:

  1. No! I've read none of these, and don't know what Brave New World is about! Boy do I feel inept. These memes are hard, aren't they? I have such a hard time coming up with the best of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Brave New World in my TBR pile. Someday I'll get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! I've read all but The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I remember reading Brave New World back in high school and really enjoying it and the discussions it generated. Also, The Handmaid's Tale was my first and only Atwood, something I really need to remedy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ender's Game is FANTASTIC! I read this about ten or so years ago and couldn't believe that ending - I loved everything about that book and meant to read more from that series. Love, love that book and would recommend it all day long to anyone listening. :) So glad you loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret Atwood does dystopian fiction extremely well. I love The Handmaid's Tale. I would like to read The Hitchiker's Guide and Ender's Game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to agree with your choice of The Handmaid's Tale, as that is one of my very favorite books. I haven't read many of the rest of them, but now I know I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to read The Handmaid's Tale and I really need to check out Orson Scott Card. I will have to make time for both of them this summer.

    Thanks for the list! Anyone else want to add?

    Here's mine: http://indiereaderhouston.com/blog/?p=1791

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I'd be remiss as a David Foster Wallace fan if I didn't suggest Infinite Jest. ;)

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Handmaid's Tale would definitely be on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read all but Stranger and I agree with the whole list. I always loved Fahrenheit a bit more than Brave New World, but they're both good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that Ender's Game is one of the best books ever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard so many people recommend Ender's Game, I guess it's time to read them. I think it's a series, right? I might buy it for my son's 14th birthday next month. Although I would have to buy the whole series. He doesn't like just one book from a series because then he has to chase the next one, etc. :-)

    I really should read Fahrenheit sometime, that sounds like a great dystopian novel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read everything but Ender's Game. Dangnabbit, I do NOT need to add another book to the pile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent choices! Fahrenheit and Brave New World always stand out to me especially because I read them in high school, and they really surprised me! So many whisper*orgies in BNW.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ack, great list! Love THE HANDMAID'S TALE especially!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice list. I had trouble choosing only five best books. Ender's Game was a great book. I read it when it was published and remember waiting for each new book in the series to come out. Somehow I forgot that was in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay Ender's Game! I loved that book. And you know, I have no idea what Brave New World is about. I feel ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved Ender's & Hitchhiker's! I picked up Stranger in a strange Land after listening to my huuby talk about last year as he listened to it.
    Surprisingly, I liked The Time Machine by Wells.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!