18 May 2011

5 Best Books...with Multiple Narrators

Cassandra of Indie Reader Houston hosts a weekly meme called 5 Best Books where participants list what they feel are the five best books on a given topic. This week's topic is about books with multiple narrators. Hello Wilkie Collins. But before we get to him, the other four:

The fifth place winner may, in part, be on the list just because it is the most recent multiple-narrator book I've read: Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness. Three separate narrators take the reigns in this story, continuously alternating throughout. What gives this one an extra kick is that one of the narrators is an "enemy" of the protagonist. I really enjoyed reading about the events from an opposing perspective.

Coming in fourth, The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff includes multiple narrators, in part because there are two stories being told: one about Jordan a contemporary, and the other about Ann Eliza, one of Brigham Young's wives. Outside of these two quite distinct narrative voices, the story is also told through a variety of narrative forms with newspaper clippings, letters, historical documents, etc. included.

Toni Morrison's Beloved takes third place on my list. Probably the most complex narrative structure, Beloved is also the most confusing (hence the third place finish). The story is primarily told through third-person omniscient, but interspersed throughout the novel, various characters offer their perspective, taking over the narration.This, combined with the non-linear structure of the novel, definitely increases the mental aspect of reading, but trust me, it also increases the pleasure.

The runner up for best book with multiple narrators is Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. The main character, Sue, narrates parts one and three, and Maud narrates the middle portion of the book. Just like in The Moonstone, the split narration allows readers a greater insight into events, really adding depth to characterization and clarity to plot. Unlike The Moonstone, the narration was not such a huge part of my love of the novel in Fingersmith's case.

The absolute best book with multiple narrators EVER is The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. Eleven different characters take turns narrating the events, and each one is completely and utterly distinct from the next. Collins' ability to switch voices amazes me: diction, tone, sentence structure, everything about the prose adapts to the character narrating. And to top it all off, we are talking about some seriously unique characters here. Now go, go and read this if you haven't already. And for another Wilkie Collins' multiple-narrator book, read The Woman in White, which is also awesome.

I purposely left out epistolary novels as they are a different kind of "multiple narrator" in my  head, but novels such as Dracula and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society are certainly worth looking at for multiple narrators.

So what books with multiple narrators do you think should make the list? Feel free to leave a link!


Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

16 comments:

  1. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys has three narrators-though two are the same person, sort off. It is a prequel to Jane Eyre-part one is narrated by Rochester's wife when in Jamaica, part two by Mr Rochester and part three by the wife, after has been locked in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with your adding Fingersmith to this list, but I can't really judge about the others, because I haven't read them. If I were making the same list, The Poisonwood Bible would definitely be on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all of those except your number one book which I have not read. So it seems to me I would love that too; have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been a new favourite style I realised last year but haven't had recommendations, I am so going to check out this meme.

    I recently added Fingersmith to my Wishlist. I haven't heard of Moonstone, probably not my usual read but I will read some reviews.

    Potato Pie was good and I have Dracula also.

    Great list, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooohhh - you have the best list! I need to read Moonstone. I had a professor who was a big fan. I'm such a 20th/21st century girl, so I miss out on a lot of the classics. I need to do better on that.

    Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't resist, had to participate, here is my post.

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/05/5-best-books-multiple-narrators.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to have to add The Moonstone to my TBR list! I liked The Historian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love The Moonstone. I really need to re-read that one. And of course Fingersmith. That book would win any award I could think of. The Poisonwood Bible is a good one. But my brain is dead. I can't think of a thing. I'll probably wake up at 3am with a half dozen good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought Fingersmith was well served by the change in narrators. It was what made it work so well. And I liked how Ness added a new narrator in each book of the series; it really worked for me. I love how they all had their own font too. I appreciate touches like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monsters of Men better than Beloved when it comes to multiple narrators?! That means I need to finish reading the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice with Fingersmith. Love love love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like books with multiple narrators and I love The Woman in White. It's very common in the Gothic tradition - Dracula and Frankenstein are two of my other favourites.

    Lesbian author Sarah Schulman usually has multiple narrators and I love her work too - Rat Bohemia is a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Four of these five books are on my tbr list. I am very excited because I have The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins and reading your brief blurb about it I wish I could start reading it NOW! I also want to read Fingersmith a lot!I don't know much about Monsters of Men, I'm definitely going to look it up!

    Great post, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read 'Monsters of Men' but I love the idea of having an antagonist be one of the narrators. In 'The Body Finder' Kim Derting writes short chapters from the killer's perspective and I really liked reading those. It was so creepy but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally forgot about The Moonstone having so many narrators! I remember Woman in White a little more vividly. The Sound and the Fury always comes to mind. Or even As I Lay Dying. That Faulkner had a thing for narration, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tom Perotta's ELECTION, pure gold in book form. Also, am reading Heidi Durrow's GIRL WHO FELL FROM THE SKY, has multiple narrators, really enjoying as well.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!