14 May 2011

Sunday Salon: Future Endeavors

Hello Saloners, bloggers, readers, and random web surfers! Welcome to my happy time. The spring semester is officially over, and I have all of my grades in. I am teaching this summer, but only two classes, only for six weeks, and only online. I am as happy as....well as a teacher when the year is over. Things have been hectic for me so far this year with a few personal events decreasing my presence in the blogosphere.

Slowly but surely I am getting back in the action, but I realize that I've been a sporadic blogging buddy these past few months, rarely commenting on posts and rarer still responding to comments left here. I understand the reciprocal relationship in an online community, and I apologize for the one-sided nature. To those who have stuck with me: THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU! This is for all of you:
I committed to getting my butt in gear around the blogosphere (hey! that rhymes!). Outside of consistently reading and responding to your posts and comments, I have a few other items on my to-do list:

Catch Up on Review Copies: This is my  number one task. I have so many review copies laying around they are actually spilling off the shelves and onto the floor. Definitely a problem and one I hope to solve this summer.


Get on Top of Speculative Fiction New Releases: I am on the panel for the Spec Fic category in the Indie Lit Awards, and yet I have been seriously remiss in my Spec Fic reading this year. I have been reading less than normal, and most of my reading has been related to a readalong or book tour or some other form of scheduled reading. This summer I will have more time to read purely for pleasure. If you know of any titles I should be checking out, be sure to suggest reading here.

Join the 52-52-52 Challenge: Amanda over at The Zen Leaf created a new challenge - For 52 weeks, participants attempt to read one book a week and lose one pound a week. Sweetness. I have recently (re)joined SparkPeople at Amanda's urging, and I am very hopeful that I can start eating healthy and working out on a consistent basis.

There are quite a few other bloggerish tasks I hope to complete, but those are the biggies. On a side note, I have joined Tumblr, and I am having a blast over there. If you are a member, be sure to let me know so I can stalk follow you.

Current Reads

Ines of My Soul by Isabel Allende
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
John Adams by David McCullough

Upcoming Reads in May
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
The Girl Who Was on Fire
Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson
Between Two Ends by David Ward
Ashfall by Mike Mullin 

13 comments:

  1. You've set yourself quite a few tasks. I wish I could do the 52 one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for spreading the word for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may join the 52-52-52 challenge. We'll see.

    I don't sweat over my blog much anymore. I do the amount of blogging I find enjoyable and leave it at that. I enjoy a fair amount of blogging mind you.

    I didn't wake up one day and say no more ARC's but I haven't gotten one in a months and I'm not complaining. Letting go of the desire of for ARC's has been an improvement for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think you will love Crooked Letter. I had him call in to one of my book clubs awhile back, so when you finish, you should dig up that post of mine. He is a charming man. As for your presence or lack thereof, we all understand. This is not a job for me but a hobby, and life does (and should) get in the way now and again. We know you love us and that you'll be back when you can. I've cut way back on ARCs, and have been reading what I want, which has made for a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved Crooked Letter. And I too have review copies spilling over. I hate that, especially since sometime or other I seem to recall vowing not to agree to do anymore - heh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, Crooked Letter has been popping up all over for me recently. I recommended it to a friend of mine, and now you're reading it. It's a great book, definitely not your usual mystery novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crap, Trisha! I was just debating whether or not to join Tumblr this very morning and now you ARE OVER THERE and I will most certainly follow. Ugg. Killing me (but I love it!).

    Keep up the good reading! I joined Amanda's challenge as well, and I'm gonna have to check out this SparkPeople thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly haven't considered tumblr yet. Good luck with the 52 challenge - it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also having a back-up of review copies, and really have to make an effort to fly through them. It's crazy how they have accumulated and how behind I've gotten with them. Good to hear that the summer will be less hectic for you. I imagine with all the time you are going to have that you will make real headway with all of those goals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you get a bit of a break now! And I love the idea of the 52-52-52 challenge - I just joined Weight Watchers online and started swimming, and this will be another way to help me stay motivated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on all of your goals! The spring semester is ending for me this week so I know how you feel. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish you luck on your goals. I, too, have to catch up on returning comments, because things have been pretty hectic lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well don't you make ME feel guilty! ;) If you're a bad commenter of late I'm not sure what that's made me this year. To be fair I do keep posts in Google Reader for wayyyyyy to long in hopes that I'll comment on them all until I finally have to break down and mark most as read. It's sad, but...

    I hope you have a wonderful and stress-free summer. You certainly deserve it.

    And I say boo to you all moving to tumblr. I'm refusing as I just can't handle more things to follow--though as I've become more of a personal life blogger than a book blogger the tumblr accounts are sometimes more appealing than reading about books that I'll probably never read. Such a conundrum.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!