28 September 2011

Goodreads Channels Netflix and I am Happy

GoodReads has created a book recommendation system that mirrors Netflix's movie recs. I have used other book recommendation sites, usually based on entering in the book you just read or a favorite book, but I've never found one I really like. It's difficult to recommend a read based on just one book, especially for an eclectic reader. Plus, most of the time these sites were given me other books by the same author, and I could figure that one out on my own. Goodreads' system looks like it could actually be beneficial. Right now, I am receiving recommendations primarily in Classics, Graphic Novels, Contemporary, Fantasy, Fiction, Science Fiction, and Young Adult based on the 559 books I've rated on Goodreads. I also have some recommendations for Horror, Memoir, Romance, Nonfiction, and Philosophy. The joys of the eclectic reader.

One way I can make my recommendations even more useful is by finally adding shelves to my books. Right now, I don't shelve my books according to anything but (read, to-read, currently reading; borrow, ebook, library-read, traded-giveaway, and wish-list). I don't categorize by genre or any other tags. This was a choice I made when I started using Goodreads. I already have detailed tags over at LibraryThing, and the idea of going through my 1500+ books and adding tags was just terrifying and overwhelming. I have to admit that I am reconsidering this now with the recommendation program. Plus, I seem to be using GoodReads more often than LibraryThing.

The book that stands out to me from the Classics recommendation list (primarily because it sounds awesome, I've never heard of it, and The Phantom Tollbooth led to the recommendation) is Half Magic by Edward Eager. According to GoodReads, "Since Half Magic first hit bookshelves in 1954, Edward Eager’s tales of magic have become beloved classics. Now four cherished stories by Edward Eager about vacationing cousins who stumble into magical doings and whimsical adventures are available in updated hardcover and paperback formats. The original lively illustrations by N. M. Bodecker have been retained, but eye-catching new cover art by Kate Greenaway Medalist Quentin Blake gives these classics a fresh, contemporary look for a whole new generation." Sounds like fun!


Has anyone read this?

11 comments:

  1. You know, I looked at the Goodreads suggestions the other day and it gave me a bunch of terrible ones...based on my shelves! So I don't know... There wasn't a single book I would even consider reading that it suggested to me. :/

    I keep trying to get my kids to read Half Magic but I guess they don't like the cover. I haven't read it myself, but I think they would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Half Magic. It is a fun book. However, there is some unfortunately racist stuff in that was most likely seen as innocent and harmless when it was first published. Just don't use the book if you have any Muslim or Arabic students in your class.

    Have you used the anti-recommend feature at Library Thing. That's not it's actual name; it's been a while since I used it. Basically, it looks at your books and tells you what books you should never read. It's kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tried this Goodreads recommendations thing out, thanks to your post ... and you're right, it is fun! Thank you for indulging my book habit and adding several more to the TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read that! I have, though, just started playing with my own Goodreads tags. (Most of my tags are over on LibraryThing, too, but I've definitely shifted most of my usage to Goodreads.) For me, it was the release of the Android app that prompted it, since I can now access my library anywhere from my phone. I'm hoping being able to see my wishlist vs. owned books will help me buy what I want and avoid what I already own when I'm at used booksales, which I love attending. (Yeah...there have been some missed opportunities and double purchases lately!) The recommendations piece is an added plus. I've already added a couple of books from it to my TBR...could be dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been hearing about this new Goodreads feature for a few days now, and I am eager to try it out! I love it when I can get a recommendation that is totally obscure and unusual, and I think this new feature might just help me do that. I tend to be more of a LibraryThing user than a Goodreads user, but that is just personal preference. I like them both, but I use them for entirely different things. I have gotten very little tagging done on either one of them though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just re-read this over the summer (my response is here): it was a big favourite of mine as a girl, although I didn't have my own copy for a couple of decades after my initial fall for it. (When I went to read the second book in the series this summer, I was less keen, for the reasons CBJ mentions above, but of course it was written in a different time, so that's not entirely unexpected.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Half Magic! I read it to my two older kids when they were younger, and I just read it to my two youngest this year. They loved it to. I've read the second one, but I don't remember it that well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Half Magic but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm curious about the recommendation system too. Once I got it cleared up about what genres I actually read, it had some good suggestions -- many books I know something about and a few I'd never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to comment on this right when you posted it but my iPhone browser apparently hates your site! Guess what we got in the mail on the exact day you posted? Half Magic! I don't remember where I was turned onto it but the Quentin Blake cover certainly drew me in. I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Half Magic for the first time a few months ago and I loved it! I wish I'd read it when I was little, but it was still wonderful...

    http://avidreader25.blogspot.com/2010/12/friday-favorites-half-magic.html

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!