23 September 2011

The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry

I picked up The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry (OBAP from now on) while in Berkeley, which is very fitting considering the free speech focus of that town. I am not a huge poetry fan; I do, however, have a soft spot for outlaws, rebels, freaks, and geeks, and this seemed like a book made for those fringe dwellers. So I thought my love of the strange would overcome my (sorry) boredom with poetry. And so far, so good.

As with A Game of Thrones, I am going to dedicate several posts to this anthology instead of reading the whole thing and writing one review. I'm feeling a bit whimsical and unorganized and random these days, so I thought I would just run with that feeling here on the blog instead of being so patterned and boxed in. Hope you don't mind...

I have now read the first 23 pages which included the following poets:
  • Walt Whitman: a nineteenth century poet criticized for his overtly sexual poetry 
  • Jack Micheline: a San Franciscan beat poet from the 50s and 60s
  • Jim Brodey: an underappreciated poet who wrote from the late 60s through the 80s
  • D.A. Levy: a 1960s poet concerned with the search for infinity
  • Tupac Shakur: late 80s, early 90s rap artist
  • David Lerner: a bohemian poet railing against mainstream capitalism
  • Sapphire: a performance artist writing blunt, graphic pieces on class and race
Outside of Whitman, these poems are "vulgar", meaning they use explicit language and describe rated R and X scenes. This may bother some people; luckily I am not one of them, especially since the use of graphic terms and descriptions is not gratuitous. There is a purpose, an intention behind the language choice. That was my warning for any who are more squeamish (cuss words ahead).

Whitman's poem is an introduction to the anthology, and I found it perfectly fitting:
Shut not your doors to me proud libraries,
For that which was lacking on all your well-fill'd shelves, yet needed
most, I bring,
Forth from the war emerging, a book I have made,
The words of my book nothing, the drift of it everything,
A book separate, not link'd with the rest nor felt by the intellect,
But you ye untold latencies will thrill to every page.

I, in no way, shape, or form, consider myself an expert on analyzing poetry. I've never been taught how, I've never been a big poetry reader, and I've never really read others' analyses of poems. But this one cried out to me as a stance against banning books ("shut not your doors to me proud libraries"). I feel like Whitman is saying that it is not the details of the story, the language and descriptions, that matter; but rather it is the truth of it, what it says about humanity and what it teaches humans ("the words...nothing, the drift...everything"). As I said, I think this a fitting introduction to a book peppered with "strong" language and "adult" content.

After Whitman's intro, the second poem is titled Poem to the Freaks by jack Micheline. Again, this is a good way to start out the book. While Whitman's poem encouraged others to open their minds to new possibilities, Micheline's poem validates and supports the outlaw poets who are about to share themselves with the world. "Raise your cup and drink my friend", Micheline encourages, "drink for those who walk alone in the night, to the crippled and the blind, to the lost and the damned, to the lone bird flying in the sky" for you are not alone and who you are is important. With those two poems, the editors have issued an invitation to readers and praise for them (assuming the reader is also a bit on the outskirts of mainstream).

Lerner's poem contains a section I also found very appropriate:
this ain't no
genteel evening over
cappuccino and bullshit

this ain't no life-affirming
our days have meaning
as we watch the flowers breath through our souls and
fall desperately in love

this ain't no letter-press, hand-me-down,
wimpy beatnik festival of bitching about
the broken rainbow

it is a carnival of dread

it is a savage sideshow
about to move to the main arena
Again, the reader is explicitly told what to expect from the rest of the book right in one of the poems included in the anthology. So let's get the main arena I say. I'm ready for some mind-fucking, hard-hitting, head-exploding poetry. :) I'll let you know how it goes a little bit at a time. The book is, after all, 645 pages long.

13 comments:

  1. Don't worry, we won't mind the randomness at all! Sounds like the perfect approach to a book like this anyway. I'm also not put off my explicit language or content, so this anthology has me very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always sort of shied away from poetry because I was afraid I just wasn't getting it, but this collection sounds like it would be a treat to read and discuss. I am not bothered by strong language, and think that some of the poems that you showcased here today sound rather interesting. You have made me want to check out this collection, which is quite a feat! Thanks for this very elegant review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a poetry reader, but I'd love to join you in your ride through some "mind-fucking, hard-hitting, head-exploding poetry." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great collection for those not scared by harsh and vulgar language. I applaud you for tackling this volume. Whitman was often shunned by his peers who considered him controversial...he was also the poster boy if you will for gays and communists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana - I am certainly getting more and more random around here, so I'm really glad you keep coming around!

    Heather - You sound like me! This may be a book to try out.

    Steph - I'd love to hear your thoughts on it too!

    Serena - I think the eccentricity of the poets is helping me get into the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *chuckling* A poetry lover I am not, but if there was ever an enticement to try it, this would be it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title of this book is fantastic! I would have bought it, too. I like poetry a lot I just don't always get it or I feel like I might not be getting it, you know?

    Thank you for your interpretation of the Whitman poem...I think it's spot-on. It's a great poem, I love the last few words"...will thrill to every page." Awesome.
    I am going to look up Poems to Freaks by Jack Micheline, I've never heard of him but the few lines you included really spoke to me...one of the rare times the word "crippled" doesn't strike me as derogatory or insulting

    Fantastic post, Trisha and I look forward to further posts about the mind-fucking, hard-hitting, head-exploding poetry you find in this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poetry is not my thing either but I must admit, what you included above is enticing....I'll enjoy it through your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great intro, Trisha! For someone who doesn't read poetry very often, I think you did an excellent job interpreting the poems you shared. I have not heard of this, but you definitely have me curious. I look forward to your series of posts on this book. :)

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to love to write poetry in school but never got into reading it. This however... is interesting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I want this book!! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy - It does seem like a good place for those who aren't really in to poetry to start out!

    Amy - Thanks! I do worry about putting my interpretations up here on the blog, just in case they're completely wrong. :)

    Jenny - This is a book for use non-poetry lovers for sure!

    Jehara - Thanks so much! I was worried when I posted this that I was completely wrong on the interpretations, so it's nice to get some positive feedback.

    Sheila - I wrote poetry back in junior high! I even got published in some small anthology, but like you, I was never into reading it, which of course made me a not-so-great poet. :)

    Emily - Glad to hear it! I'm further in now, and it's still really interesting, so I would recommend giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one was a textbook for one of my lit classes in college. It's certainly got a ton of stuff in there, but, well, apparently outlaw poetry is not my thing. I hope you have fun with it, though!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!