29 December 2011

Best of 2011

A giant chunk of this year's reading was actually RE-reading, but I wanted this list to reflect my favorite new reads. Oddly enough, this does make the creation of a "best of" list much easier - less books to choose from. :) Without further ado, here are my top ten new reads of 2011:

The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis
Abounding with monks, nuns, secret passageways, cold corridors, nasty weather, soul-selling witches, prurient interests, superstition, and the occasional dead body, The Monk is perfectly eerie. The gothic qualities set up that wonderful atmosphere readers of this type of lit love so much, but the actions which take place move well beyond the scary ghost or foreboding breeze. Some truly evil crimes are committed. There are specific, likeable victims. And happily ever after comes at a great price.

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Winter is Coming. So rings the words of the Starks of Winterfell, the family central to the epic tale contained in this novel. The motto reflects the harshness and strength of the family as well as resounding a prophetic truth for the whole of Westeros, a land about to be torn by a vicious political upheaval, a game of thrones. This story completely captured my imagination.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes by Loren D. Estleman
Sherlock Holmes returns in this brilliantly conceived and written novel, and to make it even better, he is tackling the case of Jekyll and Hyde. Despite knowing the outcome, I was engaged throughout, the journey to the truth being so much more exciting than the denouement. Following Holmes and Watson as they meticulously ferret out the truth was fascinating, in no small part because their investigation alternates between periods of intense excitement (girly shows, barroom brawls, carriage chases) and quiet contemplation (exactly how I picture Sherlock).

Lost Voices by Sarah Porter
In this lyrical and haunting tale, Porter explores a world in which girls, cruelly abused in life, transform into mermaids and find themselves wielding a great power over humankind. The story is haunting and painful and atmospheric, but I don't want to give the impression that the darkness is pure sensation without purpose; readers are treated to a story both horrifying and beautiful. Like a traditional fairy tale (instead of the Disney version) the world Porter has created feels infused with shades of gray. Black and white, right and wrong, are secondary to the complexity of personal growth and understanding.

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
Foer chronicles his foray into the world of memory in this intelligent and fun book. The perfect combination of the personal and the academic, Moonwalking with Einstein had me completely hooked. Intelligent. Fun. Insightful. Funny. Inventive. Fabulous. And a host of other adjectives that start with I and F. This, in my opinion, is narrative nonfiction at its best: personal, informative, and entertaining.

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
When a young girl goes missing, fingers start pointing at "Scary Larry" Ott, who 25 years before was suspected in the disappearance of another girl. Soon, Larry winds up shot, and Silas, once Larry's friend, now the town constable, finds himself investigating. But why was Larry shot? Attempted murder? Suicide? What really happened 25 years ago? Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter is a perfectly atmospheric literary suspense. 

Ashfall by Mike Mullin
What I most appreciated about the book was that sense of realness without spectacle. Truly bad things happen in the story, but the events are not overblown or dwelt upon for effect; they are simply related as events which occurred. The devastation wrought by the volcanic eruption was not just geological or meteorological; it was social, cultural, ideological. I have absolutely no problem believing the loss of humanity exhibited by some of the characters.  While the book is not particularly happy - it is reasonably grim actually - I never felt that all hope was lost. Some communities, some people, were still friendly, caring, and humane. Actually the diversity of post-volcano experience is one part of the book I really enjoyed.

Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen
Ghosts takes place over one night at a mansion in Norway. The majority of the story is unveiled in a conversation between the protagonist, Mrs. Alving, and a pastor from a nearby town, Manders. The two are building an orphanage to honor the late Captain Alving, a man Manders believed to have been an honorable man, but who in fact was a scoundrel and a drunk. Alving's actions in the past are influencing the present through his son, Oswald.

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
The Mortal Instruments trilogy, City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass, rocked my world when I read them, and I was thrilled to receive this novel, a prequel to the MI trilogy for Christmas. Clockwork Angel includes everything I loved from Mortal Instruments - passion, mythology, kickassery - and then it puts two cherries on top: Victorian London and steampunk. Purrrfffect. The layers of depth Clare injects in her work really adds to the world building. the world created within the pages of the text refers to and develops its own past and promises a future. If you have not read Clare yet, you are really missing out.

The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mills
In a rather accessible extended essay, Mill argues for the emancipation of women both for the betterment of society and the personal benefit of women. What struck me most about Mill's essay is his clarity and conciseness. I really enjoy it when authors of SERIOUS tomes with IMPORTANT topics inject a bit of the snarky into their texts, and Mills does a fantastic job of this.

31 comments:

  1. Interesting list. and fun, too. See? ya got me thinking about great adjectives starting with i and f.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about Moonwalking with Einstein... I have it. I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one I've read is Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and I loved it too. I did buy Clockwork Angel when I went to Cassandra Clare's event here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these, but they all look fun and different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I hate when there are lists of "bests" and I have only read one at most! It makes me think there's a lot I'm missing out on! (I only read Crooked Letter, which I loved also)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter is sitting on my TBR shelf waiting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of great books on this list, and a few of them are on my list for the new year! I am so glad you loved Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. It was a really amazing read, and one of my better reads this year too! Wonderful list today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard lots about Monk this month, interesteing.

    Happy New year and to great reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Toootally want to read The Monk. There are others here I hadn't heard much of that sound interesting (Lost Voices). :) Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the range from which you read, and how your 'best of' reflects that. I really must get to reading Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, my friend, you do your blog title proud because what a nice little list of books that are all over the place, and not many well-known either. I've only read Crooked Letter but I loved it so, and it makes my heart happy when others love it too. I need to get my hands on The Monk...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a great and varied list! I really should get my hands on the Mortal Instruments trilogy- people seem to rave about it! I wonder, should I read that trilogy first or the Clockwork Angel? What do you think?

    Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes sounds excellent, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so bummed that everyone seems to love Crooked Letter except for me. Just did absolutely nothing for me!

    I've added a few of these to my wishlist including The Monk. I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Care - Always happy to inspire!

    Jenny - I definitely recommend it..er..obviously.

    Kathy - Clare's books really get me going, so I highly recommend reading her series.

    Anna - You should add them to your wish list. :)

    Amanda - Such a great read. Thank you so much for the recommendation.

    Jill - Just think of it as a reason to add to the to-read list. :)

    Peppermint - Definitely worth reading. It's so atmospheric.

    Heather - Crooked Letter is definitely a book that will stick with me.

    Marce - You should definitely read it!

    Andi - Both The Monk and Lost Voices are worth reading for sure!

    Contemplatrix - You should pick it up asap!

    Sandy - I really loved The Monk, so I definitely recommend picking it up.

    Aarti - I really loved Mortal Instruments, such a fun story. I would read it before Clockwork Angel even though that's out of chronological order. And
    Jekyll and Holmes was tons of fun!

    Trish - The Monk is a great read! And no worries about Crooked Letter; there's a ton of blogger-loved books I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely want to give the Game of Thrones books a try -- thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenners - It's such a wonderful and complex and epic story. Now if only I could overcome my fear of long-book commitment to start reading the second in the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here from Care's blog and had to comment on this wonderful post. I loved Game of Thrones when I read it two years ago; I'm halfway through Crooked Letter Crooked Letter, and I'm mesmerized! It's wonderfully atmospheric, giving me such a picture of Mississippi, as well as care for the characters. I love a mystery which is more than plot as this book is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your list as it is giving me a starting point for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked A Game of Thrones a lot, too. I've been waiting to read the second one until I have a good chunk of time to devote to it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Phew! Now I feel better about buying Lost Voices before reading it...now if I could just get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Belleza - I agree that Crooked Letter was more than just plot! I'm not typically in to mysteries but this one was just so much more.

    Kim - I keep looking at it and then turning to a shorter book.

    Jenny - I really enjoyed Lost Voices; it was...different.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read any of these books, but I have heard about several. I absolutely love the title "Moonwalking with Einstein." Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need to read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes! Also Moonwalking with Einstein. I can't believe I left Ibsen out of my list... I should have included him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great list! A Game of Thrones is definitely making my best of list as well.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Melanie - It's a great title, a great cover, and a great book. I definitely recommend it.

    Ana - I really enjoyed Jekyll and Holmes, and I have another that combines Sherlock with Jack the Ripper waiting on the shelves.

    Michelle - A Game of Thrones was such a great read. I really need to read the second; I'm just wussing out because it's such a time suck.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really do love Clockwork Angel. I think I like the ID series even better than TMI.

    Also, I keep seeing the cover for Moonwalking with Einstein, and it's so cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ashley - Moonwalking has one of my favorite covers of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes -- even better than the original, which I found to be rather dry right up until the end.

    I think Estleman has written several adaptations like this. Or at least I've seen some similar covers with "new" Holmes mysteries at the bookstore. Must check that out in more detail...

    ReplyDelete
  29. A Game of Thrones was on my best of list in 2010. It really does capture you, doesn't it? I don't consider myself a fast reader but I tore through this one in about 4 days, and that was 4 weekdays when I was at work at least 8 hours each day.

    I bought The Monk a few years back but it still sits unread on my shelf with a number of other classic gothic books. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Heh the snarkiness of Mill was fun wasn't it? Also super excited to see Game of Thrones on here!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!