20 December 2011

End of 2011 Book Survey


I typically don't do surveys, but this one appealed to me for some reason. This one comes from Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner.

1. Best Book You Read In 2011?
I very rarely pick a favorite. My reading is too diverse to truly compare books to each other. I will say though that The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis and A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin really stand out as awesome reads this year.

2. Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson: I enjoyed Bryson's voice, intellectual with humor thrown in and a rather down-to-earth honesty about the experience. I thought I would be bored, hearing nothing but blah blah blah about walking walking walking, and I did hear a lot of that, but I liked the blah blah blah about the walking. But the constant 'save the trail from our pollution and destruction' hullabaloo drove me crazy. Perhaps it's because I was much more interested in the trail and the cultural/historical information than I was in this giant reminder that we, as humans, totally are sucking it up in taking care of the planet.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?
Still Magic by Brandon Pyle: Brandon started as my student way back in January 2005, and since then we have become friends. Finding out he published a collection of fables and poetry surprised me (not that he could do it but that he did do it).

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?  
This is probably a tie between The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne and Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series quite a bit: Soulless, Changeless, and Blameless. Oddly enough, I recommended these to all the same people: the true readers in my life, and of course, I would name drop while teaching.

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?
The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare - City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass - is definitely my favorite series of the year. I read the whole first book plus over half of the second book in one night. I read for like five hours straight. It was awesome. The world building drew me in and the characters kept me coming back for more.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?
Cassandra Clare (see above) because she's downright entertaining and a great world builder, Joshua Foer (Moonwalking with Einstein) because he's clever and witty, and Carlos Ruiz Zafon (The Midnight Palace) because his use of language and descriptions is just gorgeous.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Not many books are out of my comfort zone - in part because I'm an eclectic reader and in part because I read what I like - but I did read Missed Her by Ivan Coyote, a short, but moving, collection of personal stories focused on Coyote's experiences as a queer, butch, storyteller living on Canada's west coast. This is outside my comfort zone in two ways: first, I'm a straight woman living in America's midwest; second, I'm not much of a short story reader even when it's nonfiction. But Coyote set up each tale the way I like: sort of a blend between a short story and a personal essay. I think Amy from Amy Reads said it best: "Missed her is a collection of short stories that aren’t really, in my mind, short stories the way I think of them. They are more quick memories. A collection of stories about memories, perhaps."

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?
Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness gets my vote for this one. Every moment in the book is rife with possibilities, questions, and excitement. I could not stop reading; every turn of the page brought on a deep desire to see the next. That feeling of urgency followed me throughout the entire series, every page, every shift in the plot, every revelation of character, pressed me to keep reading. These are truly books I do not want to put down.

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?
This is a hard question for me to answer as I'm not much in to new releases. I don't keep track of what's coming when, no list of upcoming releases anywhere to be found. I was very much looking forward to reading Heartless by Gail Carriger since I luurrrvvee the Parasol Protectorate series. And that's the book I'm reading right now. :)

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?


11. Most memorable character in 2011?
Tyrion from A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin really sticks out as a memorable character. He went from my least favorite character to the most intriguing to quite possibly my favorite (although Arya is still up there as well). He is definitely a character to watch as I keep reading the series.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2011?
Missed Her by Ivan Coyote, The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen, and The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis all make the list for this one. I feel like choosing one would not suffice as the books I read are so very different in how they should be written, but these definitely stand out as Well Written.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011? 
Nylon Road: Coming of Age in Iran by Parsua Bashi certainly affected the way I teach. Not only do my students read the graphic memoir, but they also develop their own personal reflection project based on the set-up in the memoir: specifically, Bashi's reflection on her life through encountering versions of herself at different ages. This turned out to be my students' favorite project of the year, and honestly mine as well.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?
John Adams by David McCullough definitely takes the prize for this one. I have had that stinking book on my shelf forever, and my grandfather had nothing but high praise for it, but I still kept putting it off. And putting it off. Thank heavens that Wallace at Unputdownables hosted a readalong to motivate me!

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011?
Answering this question would just take too much time, and honestly there's no way I could pick just one.

16. Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012? 
I will probably read Ashfall by Mike Mullin again when the second book comes out. I really liked the story, and I'll want it fresh in my head. I'll probably do the same with Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers! 

In my first post on A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, I wrote:  
My Holy Shit Moment: Bran
Oh my beejeesus Bran. I will not say anymore for those who haven't read the story.
I still feel that WTF Moment quite clearly.

THE END of THE SURVEY

I have to admit I feel a bit strange completing a survey like this before the end of the year. After all, I will read at least one and probably more like 5 more books before the year is up. C'est la vie.

18 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about Bryson going in and on sometimes. I loved his book on Shakespeare, but Notes from a Small Island kind of drove me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting until next week to post this survey with my answers. I doubt I'll read any more books before the end of the year, but I still don't feel right posting it until the last week!

    I'm glad you loved The Monk so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree about Patrick Ness although I read the series in 2010 so it won't be on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great survey, and a neat way to evaluate your reading for the year. If I had read more outstanding books I would take a page from your book and do this survey for myself, but as it is, I can't imagine how I would answer some of these questions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. George Martin has had great reviews etc this year, I will have to consider, his books are long though, right?

    I also think I may enjoy the ....less trilogy.

    Don't you love the OMG moments in books,they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, which class did you use Nylon Road in? That project sounds so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I was going to read five more books before year's end! Ack!

    Loved reading your survey, Trisha! You are truly an eclectic reader, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I could answer these questions. Not and get it posted before the end of the year! Ha! I do agree it was impossible to put down ANY of the Ness books. And this Cassandra Clare person apparently is someone I need to read. I feel left out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Cassie Clare for the first time this year as well. For some reason I didn't think I would enjoy the books. I guess I never used to read in that genre, but now I will pretty much read anything YA. The Mortal Instruments ones are crazy and awesome, but I love the Infernal Device ones even more, I think. I just read Clockwork Prince and it left me a quivering ball of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is a great little survey … I was just working on mine too. I hope I don't read a really great book before the year is up or I'll have to revise it!

    I need to read this Game of Thrones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same reaction to Bryson. He cracks me up, but then he frustrates me. I read The Lost Continent this year and it's probably my least favorite of his. Also, I clearly need to start the Game of Thrones series and stop putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that someone knows about Ivan Coyote! There's a bunch of her poetry on Youtube, and I can't stop watching the videos. I've had Missed Her on my TBR list for at least a year, but just haven't tried to find a copy. Time to move it up the list, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trisha, you're adding more books to my tbr list! Lots and lots of books. I'm enjoying Moonwalking with Einstein so I can't wait to finish it and read your thoughts on it. A Game of Thrones sounds like a book I should start 2012 with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the three covers you chose. The cover of Moonwalking with Einstein is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmmm--I have a Walk in the Woods but I'm not big on preachy type books.

    SO want to read The Monk!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's it. I'm gonna read Martin in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad that you had such a great reading year, seems like so many great books. Especially, tee hee, Missed Her :D Thanks for the quote and making me sound smart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. After reading Izzy's rave review on our site for Heartless, I picked it up on Kindle Friday deal. However, I still haven't read it yet. . . Maybe I will move on that in 2012. :)

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!