23 December 2011

Movie Motivation

I recently found out Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City is being adapted for the big screen, and Leonardo DiCaprio is going to be the star of the show as the devil himself, H.H. Holmes, serial killer. I have had this book on my TBR shelf for ages. Actually, it's been on my shelves so long, I'm not even sure exactly where it's at outside of somewhere on the six bookshelves I have downstairs. Many a blogger has raved about this book, and yet I bypass it for other reads time and time again (in my defense, many of those reads have also been recommended by bloggers).

Clare, over at The Literary Omnivore, gives the book four out of five stars; over at Fyrefly's Book Blog, the book is touted as "a must-read for native Chicagoans...[and] a compelling and well-written piece of history about a fascinating event in a fascinating period of time." Wendy at caribousmom agrees, giving the book 4.5 out of 5 stars, and saying "Erik Larson has written an evocative and compelling novel about the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair and the first known serial killer to strike on American soil."

Erin at Erin Reads didn't love the book quite so much as she felt it dragged a bit, but she did appreciate the historical look at the Chicago World's Fair. At Sophisticated Dorkiness, Kim says "Larson does a nice job contrasting his two protagonists, Daniel Burnham, the heart and mind behind Chicago World’s Fair, and Dr. H. H. Holmes, a psychotic serial killer who built a murder hotel blocks from the fair to lure in unsuspecting female victims." Sheila over at Book Journey believes "the book will capture those who enjoy a good murder mystery, it will also hold those who like history."

Seriously, I must read this, and the upcoming movie - some time in 2013 - may be just the impetus I need to get my butt in gear.

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this has been on my shelves for a while too. I'll have to read it before the movie comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it Trisha! I remember really enjoying this one as well. His style is so interesting and readable. I might have to revisit again. I always feel like I want to read it again when I see others talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't get into this one. It sounds SO interesting, and I've tried reading it three times, and listening to it on audio twice, and i never make it past a couple chapters. I want to read this os bad and I go back to it over and over, but I never seem to get through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fantastic but I did struggle through some of it. A lot of architectural details and politics that were really dense. But yes--fantastic.

    Weird about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this one on my shelf for a while as well...will definitely have to read it before the movie though...it's the law (or should be anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also picked this one up awhile ago at the used bookstore, and haven't read it yet. Sandy and I were just discussing it, and she said it was one of her favorite reads ever, so that really got my attention, and lately, I have been seeing others say that they loved it as well. I think I see myself reading it soon after the new year starts. I am making so many plans for my reading year that I think I am going to have to start a list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I'm so excited for the film! And YOU MUS read this book! It's not snore-worthy non-fiction; instead, it's the sort of non-fiction that makes you think it's fiction because of how engaging the writing is. And the fact that it alternates chapters between the team building the World's Fair to the psycho/socio-path H.H. Holmes is fascinating and frightening. This is a book that will more than likely translate very well to the big screen; I hope you read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a native Chicagoan and a history lover, so I really enjoyed this book. I am fascinated by the idea of Leonardo DiCaprio playing the killer! I bet he'd do really well, such a good actor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, what Natalie said. That's EXACTLY why need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. You. You need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this for book club last year. I was not looking forward to reading it to be honest. However, I really got into it. Yes, there are definitely some draggy bits and a little too much detail perhaps about the logistics of building the fair; however, I learned so much reading this. Overall, I found it really fascinating and was able to overlook the draggy bits. The mystery of Holmes and learning about the origins of Cracker Jacks, alluring indeed.

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a very good book. You definitely should read it.

    Nice blog.

    NEW FOLLOWER.

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh good, a movie. JUST the motivation I need. I'll read it with you in 2012? (but I don't own it. yet)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally geeked out over this book, it has tons of wonderful, and probably useless Chicago facts on architecture and the World's Fair mixed in with history and murder, it's awesome. Not sure about how it will work in a movie but the book was good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fascinating book. Read it! Surprisingly, the serial killer part was the least interesting to me, but I just loved the parts about the exposition. I am very curious about this film.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought this in hardback for $1.00 earlier this year, and it's kind of gorgeous. I'm reading it for one of the 2012 challenges. Wheeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. one of my all-time favorite reads! It will be great on the big screen

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!