22 January 2012

Randomness

I tried to put together a coherent, transitiony post but my brain is just too all over the place for that, so instead here are the random thoughts that keep floating through my mind:
  • At my doctor's appointment, last Monday, I found out I was 4 centimeters dilated and 80% effaced, so why the phat have I not gone into labor yet?
  • Sydney Owenson's The Wild Irish Girl, which I am currently reading, is alternately fascinating and boring. I love the overly dramatic fascination the narrator has with the titular character, but at times the long, detailed, and specific discussions about what originated in Ireland (not in England or Greece as the narrator believes) are extremely tedious. They may make more sense if I understood all of the allusions, but I just don't have the time to look everything up.
  • I am geeking out something fierce over Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (which I am also reading at the moment) and it's getting me really nostalgic for 80s music and video games, especially the video games - which I rarely got to play as a kid because my mother would read my Christmas list and see Atari or Nintendo and she would buy books (I'm not complaining now :) ).
  • I recently found out that milk is like super high in sodium which may be why my feet swell up to unnatural proportions from time to time. Prior to the pregnancy, I didn't like milk and never drank it except with cereal. Now I can plow through like three or four glasses a day. Luurrrvvvee it.
    • Other foods I now like that I didn't before include eggs, Chinese food, and red meat
    • Other foods I love now that I liked before but tried not to eat include vanilla malts, graham crackers smothered in peanut butter with hershey's kisses on top, pretzels and pub cheese, and oreos with aforementioned awesomeness that is milk.
  • I haven't dyed my hair since I got pregnant because I am being super freaking careful because of the past miscarriages. So now my hair is my natural, mousy, completely dull, not vibrant brownish color. What color shall I dye it after the baby is born?
  • How soon after giving birth can I reasonably leave my newborn child with her grandma so her dad and I can finally go out and get some freaking sushi!!!!????!!!!
  • The past two Thursdays - the day on which I teach - the snow's been a'falling. Both days, my mother and grandmother were all "but you can't drive to work in this....you're pregnant." Two things: 1) we are not talking storms here, gentle snow fallings accumulating to 1-4 inches; not a big deal where I live and 2) I'm actually closer to the hospital at work than I am at home. Just saying. :) Love it that they are worried about me, but definitely ready to be treated like normal and not like an invalid.
    • On a side note, my 70 year old grandmother keeps trying to "help me walk" when there's snow on the ground - or even if the ground is just wet. She's adorable. If my manatee self goes down, she's not stopping it! She's coming down with me. :)
  • And seriously, I'm like practically in labor already, what is taking her so long? Let's get a move on here.

So there's a few of the thoughts that have been percolating in my brain this morning. How's everyone else doing this morning?

32 comments:

  1. I hate to tell you this Trisha, but I was 4 cm and 90% for about three weeks before going into labor with Morrigan...

    I wonder if your tastes will change back after pregnancy. When I was pregnant with Morrigan, I could eat mushrooms, and couldn't again as soon as he was born. Other than that, I had no changed tastes (though I did crave strawberries like mad all three pregnancies, and they simply don't taste as strongly while not-pregnant as they do pregnant).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I ate pancakes and pizza like they were going out of style when I was pregnant. No, really, I had a personal pan pizza for lunch almost every day.

      After having my daughter, the pancake cravings stopped (which is good because I never really cared that much for them) and I lost a desire for sweets for a really long time. The sweets thing came back, oh, ten years later.

      So excited for you! The waiting at the end is the worst. And two to three weeks on the sushi, I say.

      Delete
  2. Tell the Floppy Alienette that I said to get her ass in gear! ;-)

    And I vote for red (on the hair color).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jill on all counts! Tell Alienette to show herself, at once! And red is my hair color of choice, so I say we both go red together, after the little miss makes her appearance.

    I am glad you are loving Ready Player One! My husband and I totally geeked out over that one last month. We were just two gigantic nerds in heaven listening to Wil Wheaton perform the heck out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Two votes for red!

      And I'm kind of sad I'm reading it instead of listening to Ready Player One. Maybe I'll go buy the audio (I got the print copy for free)....

      Delete
  4. Well you're far ahead of me. I dilated like, 1/2 a cm. lol She'll make an appearance soon enough, and boy when she does!!! :)

    I know exactly what you mean about foods you didn't like before. I haven't ever been a fan of ketchup, but when I was pregnant the fries (or anything else) were just a vehicle to get ketchup to my mouth. Now I've gone back to not caring for it.

    And I'm with Heather...red hair. Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really hope my tastes stay the same honestly. Liking milk and eggs is definitely a good thing. :)

      Delete
  5. Hey you know what? We have that Nintendo system shown in that picture. Right here, hooked up to our 63 inch TV. How is that for geeks? That was one of my favorite books of 2011.

    I vote for bombshell blond. I've done all colors, but blond makes me feel the sexiest, and sexy is what you desperately need some of after you have popped out an alienette. I say you get that hair done a week after you have her, then go out that night. Babies just need sleep and food and have the diaper changed. She won't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need an injection of sexy. :)

      Delete
  6. I don't have kids and I've never been pregnant but I have sisters and they say the end is the worst! Sorry. I LOVE milk too, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe what I've been missing all these years not liking milk. ;)

      Delete
  7. Hopefully that means that your labor will be all the easier for things being so far along at this point! It is completely ridiculous how much people treat pregnant ladies like invalids, but the extra attention is nice to a point I think. :)

    I loved Ready Player One too! It was definitely one of the best books I read last year!

    For me it was watermelon bubble gum - I couldn't get enough! And that didn't stop with the pregnancy; I've been hooked on it ever since. (I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I'm chewing some right now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly hoping it means an easier labor, or at least a much shorter one. :)

      Delete
  8. Ooh I totally want to read Ready Player One. Yay.

    Also, my friend who recently had her girl, also devoured milk. Like I would bring her milk cartons from the cafeteria in the mornings and then store some in my tiny fridge in our semi-teachery-lounge down the hall. Her feet grew to be, what was fondly referred to as Shrek Feet. Must have been all that milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a strange craving but much more useful than craving dairy queen shakes. :)

      Delete
  9. You know, Ready Player One was one of those books that I was totally obsessed with and then just stopped reading in the middle of it. For no reason. And never went back. And never felt particularly bad about it. I love hearing about food/taste changes! That's so interesting. I know I'll miss sushi when I am pregnant... I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange to stop in the middle like that. I wonder if I'll get bored with it...

      Delete
    2. Oh... not that strange for me. I do it all the time! I guess the strange part was that I was really enjoying it and then it just kind of fell flat for me.

      Delete
  10. That's too cute how your grandmother is trying to help you walk. At least if you get "beached" you won't be alone. ;-)

    I love my Wii, but not a day goes by when I don't miss those old school Nintendo games. Sure, Just Dance is fun, and I "love" when my Wii Fit squeaks out "That's obese!" when it weighs me, but nothing beats the days of planting my lazy butt in front of Duck Hunt or the original Super Mario Brothers or Dr. Mario (I once spent most of a flight home from England on Virgin Atlantic playing Dr. Mario and was so ecstatic that that was even possible). Ah, those were the days! Maybe I need to be reading this Ready Player One...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish there was a way I could play those old school games again.

      Delete
  11. Supposedly there are things you can do to encourage yourself to go into labor, including a little...y'know, wink wink nudge nudge. *waggles eyebrows* Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Red! I dyed my hair red in college and loved it. I would do it again, but I hate the growing-out phase.

    Also: I love old-school Nintendo and that your grandmother is helping you walk. I really hope for both your sakes that you don't fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always my problem with dying my hair; I'm just not the type to go in every 6 weeks for a touch up.

      Delete
  13. My pregnancies (4!) were like that too. After dilating a little bit at a time for a month, I would usually be about 5-6 centimeters upon arrival at the hospital. Over halfway there--you just have to think of it that way! Then things went very fast. I hope yours goes quickly too.
    As far as the hair, you probably won't even have time to think about it once baby is here, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it means things will go quickly once I actually start!

      Delete
  14. Love this post Trisha, hoping you go into less painful fast labour soon :-)

    Isn't it sweet but irritating the way people treat you when pregnant.

    Loving your food choices. I say stay home a month than go out for a quick 2 hour date for sushi :-)

    Good luck, can't wait for your announcement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet but irritating is a perfect way of describing it. :)

      Delete
  15. So glad you're loving Ready Player One. So wish that I knew what happened to our old school Nintendo. Could definitely play some PaperBoy right now.

    The baby will be here before you know it but it may be a while before you feel like leaving the babe to grab some sushi. Take her with you! She'll probably sleep the whole time. Think our first outing was at 5 days and it was marvelous to get out of the house. Had no idea about the sodium. I loved milk when I was pregnant, too. I like it now but don't drink because I'm lazy?

    CAN'T WAIT!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!