01 March 2012

Madison Monthly: One

The Basics
On 24 February 2012, Madison Paige officially celebrated her one month birthday by going to the doctor. She is now 9 lbs. 14 oz. and 22.5 inches (+2 lbs and +1 inch from birth). That puts her in the 90th percentile for height, and the 70th for weight. She's my tall skinny baby (takes after daddy, clearly).

One Week

One Month


Eating and Sleeping
She is one odd duck. I've heard that babies take naps during the day, like two hour sleep fests which allow mommies and daddies to either get things done or take naps themselves. Not so much my little nutjob. She "wakes up" between 7am and 9am, depending, and from that time on she is awake until her next feeding (usually between 11 and 12:30) and then she has her Big Nap, a whopping 10-17 minutes. Then she is up again for the next few hours before fading in and out of sleep from 7pm to 10pm, ten minutes here, five minutes there, 20 minutes here, etc. Finally, she eats her last bottle before an ever-changing "bedtime" (10pm-midnight). Then for the next 8 hours, you just never know what will happen. Every now and then, she'll actually sleep for 4-5 hours; twice she slept for 6 hours straight!!! Most of the time though, little miss piggy only makes it 3 to 3.5 hours between feedings. She's a hungry badger. This strange nighttime routine coupled with the no-day-naps is exhausting.

Speaking of all those bottles, Madison eats anywhere between 3 and 6 ounces, totally randomly, with no correlation between quantity of food and hours between feedings. She'll have 6 ounces back to back 3 hours apart, and then break out with a 3 ounce feeding followed by a 4 ounce feeding 5 hours later. Who knows? Like I said, she's my little nutjob.

Behavior and Development
My favorite face so far is one I can't capture on camera. It goes too fast, and there is no way to predict when it will happen. She raises her eyebrows, which wrinkles her forehead, closes her eyes, sticks out her chin, and purses her lips. It's the most ridiculous face ever. And I love it.

All of her faces are absolutely adorable though. I have particular fondness for the face she makes when she gets super-excited over getting her sootie (pacifier). Her mouth makes an O and she sort of shakes her head back and forth really fast like she's having a mini-seizure of excitement. Or, you know, like a rabid dog with a bone...


She is one serious stretcher and mover. Sometimes spastic, sometimes languid, her movements are always entertaining. Right now, her movements don't have "intent", meaning that when she hits the guitar hanging from her gym, she doesn't really mean to do it. But from time to time, what she's doing does seem to have a purpose. For example, sometimes when I put the bottle in her mouth, her hands will press against my arm as if to hold it in. Or she'll slide her hand against her cheek and follow through to her mouth to push the sootie out of her mouth.

While she's gained some control over her neck, she's still a little bobblehead. She can pick her head up when laying on her stomach, but damned if you know where it's going to end up. Facedown is definitely an option.

She smiles every now and then, and she even laughed once. I know, I know, but she seriously did. She may not have meant to, but she most certainly laughed. It was hilarious and made that 3am feeding wonderful.

She loves bath time and just lays there with this half-drunk look on her face while I pour water over her, soap her up, wash her hair, and then rinse her off with the faucet. She is one seriously content baby, not even crying when her diaper is being changed or she is being dressed. Good stuff.

Social Stuff
Madison spent the night at her grandma's for the first time on Thursday, Feb 23...primarily because Mommy was going batshit crazy. Instead of going out and hanging with friends, I stayed home, had a Vampire Diaries marathon, and got a bit tipsy on a bottle of wine. Good stuff. Oh, but wait, this is supposed to be about Madison's social stuff.

She's still young enough that being passed around from person to person to total freaking stranger is no big deal. Both of her grandma's and her great-grandma have had multiple opportunities to babysit, and she is a perfect little angel (according to them of course).

Mommy Notes
I am exhausted, and I have to admit that a few times in the second and third weeks, I was actually crying in frustration (primarily at night time feedings when Fussbucket would not go back to sleep). I've gotten over the random crying, mainly because I've decided that calling my mommy to come watch HER GRANDCHILD WHO'S DRIVING ME CRAZY is a perfectly acceptable thing to do. And both grandma and baby absolutely love their time together, so everyone's happy.

I am amazed that I've gotten nothing done on maternity leave. I had this huge list of things to do - organizing around the house, a ton of crap for work, a list of books to read. But nope. Nada. Instead I've spent every waking minute (well, almost anyway) changing, feeding, rocking, bouncing, cooing at, bathing, dressing, and otherwise dealing with Miss Madison Paige Dandurand. The Madinut.

I keep trying to explain to my little nutjob that I am not "that type of mommy"; you know, the one who loves her little precious bundle of joy with an obsessive, idealized 1950s mom kind of attitude. I don't find the stuff that comes out of her cute, and I'm more likely to be pissed at the excessive crying than worried that something is wrong with her. I crave alone time something fierce, and I do not believe that watching tv while holding her is the same thing as watching it by myself. But I do love her. Like a lot, a lot.

Her Nicknames (in order of use, 1 being most often):
  1. Nutjob
  2. Madinut
  3. Goofnut
  4. Fussbucket
  5. The Squirm Button
  6. Sweets
  7. Little Miss Nasty
  8. My Crazy Baby
And now for some more pictures....


It's exhausting being her.

35 comments:

  1. I love all of this! It does bring back some memories for me. I feel like I need a phone conversation with you, there is so much to comment on. We called our kids the "milk sharks" because of that manic head-shaking thing when they smelled the boob or the bottle coming close. My son almost never napped...completely gave it up at the age of 1. I cried the tears of the insane more than once with him. But your attitude is healthy...call in reinforcements and drink that wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milk shark is perfect! And probably a bit more sane than rabid dog....but sanity isn't my forte these days. :) And you can call me anytime!

      Delete
  2. She's adorable! I remember calling my mom in tears several times during that first month begging her to come over because I'd been up 24 hours straight with a baby that would not sleep and I was too exhausted to function. I agree with Sandy on the reinforcements and the wine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to hear that I'm not the only one who begged for help! :)

      Delete
  3. Awww love the pics!! (And the update too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I love everything about this post--the nicknames, the pictures. My first baby just turned 18, so I'm all verklempt anytime I see or read about babies. Also, I totally relate to needing ALONE time. When the second baby came and I had two little ones, I coined a new term for what I suffered from: SDS (Solitary Deprivation Syndrome). Yay for grandmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I love it. SDS. I've always been a big fan of alone time, and now I'm really craving it. Getting just a few hours at a time isn't enough for me. I need like one full day of just me. :)

      Delete
  5. She's adorable! I love the nicknames too. I have not yet ventured into the world of motherhood, but I have so many friends who already have. I just want to say it's so good you're calling your mom for help when you need it. I have too many friends who reach the 6 month point and still haven't spent more than 2 hours away from baby. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of those mothers. Good for them. I only made it three days on my own (the hubby went back to work) before I called in for reinforcements. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I was tired. And then I felt totally bad because she was probably much too small for me to be sleeping with her on the couch. Luckily the hubby was home.

      Delete
  7. Trisha, you are a parent after my own heart. This is EXACTLY how I felt! And sadly, I only had 2 weeks off after Morrigan - had to go back to school! Ugh. By my third child, I decided not to do anything at all during maternity leave, haha. I was still changing diapers on one of the other boys!

    My kids all did that pacifier mouth thing too. :D It was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one. :) I can't imagine only having two weeks off...or having multiple kids!

      Delete
  8. I am amazed that I've gotten nothing done on maternity leave. I had this huge list of things to do - organizing around the house, a ton of crap for work, a list of books to read.

    That's so cute that you thought that! Hahaha.

    Great post. My daughter has never been a napper, and if/when she does nap, she's up all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good on the up all night. That could possibly drive me insane.

      Delete
  9. I cannot imagine doing ALL THE THINGS! Wow. Mothers impress me so much.

    I love this post because if I ever do have a baby, I'm sure this is how I'd feel. Thanks for bringing some normalcy to "momhood" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. With that sleeping schedule, I am surprised that you still have the time and patience to write a blog post! She is adorable and sounds like a very non-fussy baby which is great, but I imagine that you probably need some relaxing moments from time to time. I hope that she continues to thrive and grow more and more lovable every day, and that you do get some time to just toss back a couple of glasses of wine and take a break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, week 3 was when I went apeshit and Greyson and I sat around crying together. Mis-er-able. It's amazing to crave alone time so much but also love the little Nutjobs so much, too. Loved reading this post as it took me back to when G was just a wee bebe. :DDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I love her, but good lord I need some serious time to myself.

      Delete
  12. She is crazy cute but she has got to get her sleep in order! That is seriously awful … I would be a complete basket case. I'm glad you're asking for help -- it doesn't help anyone to not ask. Be glad you can get it. I was on my own and seriously doubted at times I could handle it … and he would take naps. In fact, the reason my son ended up sleeping with us in our bed was because that was the only way he would sleep. Hang in there!!! You're doing great and she is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine having to do this alone. It's crazy.

      Delete
  13. Well, she's adorable! I don't envy you, though. Having things interrupt my sleep is my least favorite thing in the world! Might be why I'm not married having kids. ;) At least you have family to help you. Love the nicknames!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been terribly MIA around the blogs and I totally missed your big day! So now, one month later, I'm finally wishing you congratulations, along with a very happy one month birthday to sweet Madison. She is a beautiful baby, Trisha. And you, as always, are very witty. I always enjoy what you write. Hang in there, girl. It gets better, it really does. The one thing that you'll never get back though (at least until she starts school full-time...then you can snatch a bit here and there) is spare time. I hate to be the bearer of that news, but the truth is the truth. Anyway, sorry for being so late with my congratulations. You have done yourself proud with that young lady. =O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truth is harsh, but it must be said. :)

      Delete
  15. Little Miss Nutjob is obscenely adorable. Thanks for posting the pictures and giving me my "baby fix." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks so much. I think she's pretty dang cute too.

      Delete
  16. She is too cute!!! I know that everyone says this but this time will pass so fast. Before you know it you will be wondering how she is walking. Or running, your choice :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH Trisha. I'm THRILLED that you're doing these posts. And I LOVE your honesty. I was afraid to write some of the things like being annoyed by the crying and just wanting it to STOP. I do think I mentioned my own crying but I never asked for enough help. And honestly, when someone watches Elle for me now, I STILL want to just cozy up in bed with a glass of wine (or a bottle).

    She's just beautiful and I'm glad to hear she's a pretty content baby. And totally know what you mean about maternity leave and getting nothing done. Those first several months are SO unpredictable, but one day it'll all click (sort of...Ha!!!!).

    xoxo. Give lil madinut a squeeze.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is that a hedgehog hanging out with your adorable Nutjob? If so, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. Doesn't sound like she ever sleeps! She is adorable though. And it is crazy how much they grow in one month!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, she's just adorable. Thanks for sharing your photos and stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are going to love having this post later in life to look back to. I swear that I can't remember 95% of that first month (or most of the ones following until about 3 years old). I wish I had written it all down -- the good and the bad. Miss Madison is a precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!