06 April 2012

Madison's Minis

I don't read children's books. I do read YA and middle grade fiction. A lot of it. But I don't really read picture books. Until now. After all, while I am absolutely positive that Madison loved me reading The Magicians, Wild Irish Girl, The Giver, and Canyons out loud to her, she will probably be a bit more impressed with the following books being as they have pictures and don't use words like monochronicity*:

Oh the Thinks You Can Think and The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Personally, I have no recollection of reading any Dr. Seuss as a child. I honestly don't think there was a single Seuss book in my childhood collection. I am making up for that now with my daughter. I fully intend on acquiring the entire Seuss collection over the next few years. These two were my first purchases, and I adored reading them out loud to Madison. She's much too young to appreciate the stories, but I was smiling the entire time.**

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
This is another common childhood book that was not part of my own (I swear not deprived) childhood reading experience. I think what most surprised me about this one is how short it is; I want to see the movie now just to see how they fleshed it out. My favorite part of this story is the idea inherent in the tale that children can use their imaginations to work out their own intense feelings. Love it.

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell
I want to make sure I expose my daughter to as much diversity as possible. My hope for her future is a complete acceptance of those different from her, and I think the books I expose her to will go a long way in helping with this. Outside of the whole diversity issue, this is just a good story, too freaking cute. It is the true story of two male penguins who raise their own baby, and again cute, adorable, ridunculously delightful.

The Duke Who Outlawed Jelly Beans and Other Stories by Johnny Valentine
I absolutely adored the stories in this collection of five fairy tales featuring children with gay parents. They aren't the best written stories or the best illustrated, but something about their simplicity and lack of sophistication appealed to me. Each story features gay parents, and in some way deals with diversity: a girl dressing as a boy to get a job as an eaglerider, a boy kissing the frog prince and bringing him home to his two dads, a young girl who steals an ogre's boots to save one of her moms, a boy tricking a dragon to bring treasure home to his two moms. Gay parents and strong children. Good stuff.

NOTES
This counts for my
GOAL #1: Read Books I Own

*My apologies to the word monochronicity. There is nothing wrong with you, and I would be proud if you were Madison's first word. It's just..well, you are a bit too advanced for her. 
**I love reading to Madison despite her complete indifference to the event. After all, she wants me to keep talking to her like all the time, but damned if I don't run out of things to say, and reading out loud, no matter what the book, obviously, really helps with this.

10 comments:

  1. Re monochronicity - you never know - Madison could be a prodigy. Doesn't hurt to try! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the amazing world of children's picture books! I think you are going to be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say read until they cry or fall asleep. Like Jill said, it never hurts to try. And let's face it, reading these books is really so much fun. I think I enjoyed reading them more than my kids at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But monochronicity is just too much darn fun to say! I think it is actually quite easy to comprehend once broken down and knowing the Latin. Just teach her some latin. - wouldn't that be great? latin for kids? Hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. (of course, I'm not entirely certain that it breaks down into Latin but most words do, right? I better to go look...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have chosen some great books, and these will probably be favorites when she is a bit older. I particularly like the sound of The Duke Who Outlawed Jellybeans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed Where the Wild Things Are, too. But not Dr Seuss! He's probably the only author I can actually quote. "I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I am." Truly a classic. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're big Seuss fans at our house. Also Sandra Boyton is a hit. Elle is way too wiggly to let me read to her. Sometimes I'll lie beside her as she tosses all of her books out of the basket and onto the floor and read to her anyway (the other day she spent a good 10 minute taking books out of the basket--I was quite impressed at the attention span and determination!). I say read to her what YOU want while you can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that getting to introduce your child to books is one of the greatest perks of parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read lots of children's books! I can give you a million recommendations if you ever want them :) (Or even just two or three or twelve if you would prefer something more manageable.) Great selection, btw. I love Where the Wild Things Are.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!