24 August 2012

Madison Monthly: Turning 7 Months

The Basics
At her sixth month check up, we found out that Madison is 28 inches long and 19lbs 3oz. That's my big, tall baby.


Eating and Sleeping
Eating, same old, same old. She is a champion eater; although this month did teach us a bit about her likes and dislikes. She hogs down sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, and her special dish Garden Vegetables with Whole Wheat Pasta. Peas and green beans, on the other hand, not a chance. And meat? I. Don't. Think. So. I think it's adorable that she has taste preferences. I just hope she doesn't turn orange....

Sleeping has been a roller coaster this past month. She has never been a good sleeper. An average night: Bedtime ritual starts at 7:45. Rocking her to sleep, putting her gently in to bed, and repeating that ritual five or six times throughout the night. Sometimes it would take a full hour just to get her to stay in bed. I was going bananas as I, personally, love sleep with something close to an obsession, and averaging 2-4 hours of sleep a night was not my cup of tea. We knew we had to do something, so I decided to try the Ferber Method, aka the cry it out method.

The Specifics: Bedtime ritual, put baby to bed awake but sleepy, leave room. The first night you wait five minutes before going back in, doing a little singing, and leaving again. No picking up. (Breaking your heart yet?) If you have to go back, you wait ten minutes; then twelve the third time and every time after. The amount of time you wait increases every night.

A search online had parents saying their baby cried for one to three hours the first night and got better and better. When we decided to do it, I was a heartsick nervous wreck the entire day. Would I actually be able to listen to my baby cry for that long without picking her up?

We waited until she was good and tired and did it. That first night, she cried for five minutes, and I went back in, sang, and left. She was crying by the time I finished the song, and I must admit I was very tempted to pick her up. There were tears people! But I did good, left, and lo and behold five minutes later, she was asleep. And she slept the whole night until 6:30. Are you kidding me? One night. My baby's a freaking genius.

We've been doing it with naps as well, and she is - Hallelujah - actually taking one to two hours naps. Now, I sort of feel like we've been preventing her from sleeping. She's getting 11-13 hours of sleep a day now, and before she was getting only 8-9. Too freaking awesome. Go figure she would start this right as I was going back to work....

Behavior and Development

She is sitting up all by herself these days - which I must say is too cute. She can pass objects from hand to hand, drag them towards her and pick them up, and find a way to put absolutely anything in her, rather giant, mouth. She has an obsession with beer bottles which I think is because they are cold and Brian thinks is because she will like beer.

She loves her walker and is getting rather adept at making it go where she wants it to. When she's not in the walker, she loves to walk around (with us holding her hands obviously). We are starting to lay bets on when she will walk. Great-grandpa is going for this month; Brian and I are holding out for October; Great-grandma thinks not until November (although the rest of the family thinks she's saying that because none of her kids walked until nine months and since they were seriously ideal children - sleeping through the night by three weeks people - Madison can't possibly beat them to it).

The only thing we have to work on now is my poor only child playing by herself. If I'm not in the room, she can handle it for a bit, but if she can see me, not a chance. I'm her favorite toy. :)

Social Stuff
Madison is a smiling social butterfly who loves new people and new situations. She had no problem flitting from person to person during the family reunion, and she actually seems to thrive on activity and chaos.

The Pictures
So, I was thinking an up-do....
I'm sexy and I know it...
I've got this reading thing down...
I shall suck on this...
Swimming. It's how I roll...
Dude. There's a monkey on my head. Pay attention.
I shall throw myself at my favorite toy...Mommy.
Space Cadet. A sphincter says what?





10 comments:

  1. While I know this may not be the healthiest choice in the world, but we discovered that Ambrose refused to eat anything green out of baby jars, but sucked up anything green that we pureed out of regulared canned veggies. Baby jar green beans? No way. Pureed canned green beans (which have the tiniest bit of salt in them)? Ate them with gusto. And while having that extra salt may not have been the best thing in the world, I will say that nowadays, Ambrose is practically a vegetarian and is the best fruit and vegetable eater of all of us...

    Possibly walking at 6 or 7 months? Wow - look out! With each kid, I hoped they would wait until their first birthday, haha! The younger they walked, the more trouble they got into... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like her. I like her spirit. But yes, that sleeping situation breaks my heart! Glad it is starting to work for all of you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah, yes the letting-them-cry thing. But now it is over and you did it, and she is fixed! If out of nowhere she seems to regress, don't freak out, she is probably just teething or getting a cold or something. She is just SO DAMN CUTE! I say that every time don't I? She is going to be a piece of work when she gets older. She's probably going to be President.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The monkey picture is just too awesome :D I'm glad to hear the sleeping situation is sorting itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is beautiful, and I imagine that first night with the new method really was hard for you. I know that it would be hard for me. When a baby cries, it's the natural instinct to want to pick them up. I am glad that it turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so glad to hear she's sleeping better for you! Every time I read these posts and heard she wasn't sleeping well I'd cringe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for sleep! And cool ornage headbands. She's so retro. And cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I am just sooooo happy for you that the sleep issue is being resolved! I regret not doing that with my own son. I caved on the crying and I wish I had been stronger.

    She is at such a fun age -- I love this stage .Their personalities start coming out and she looks so busy and happy and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a doll and I can tell that she's going to be a spunky one for sure!! I may have just picked up that little pink skull outfit for Elle the other day, too (except she's outgrowing the onsies so it's a shirt dress).

    So glad about the sleep!!! We didn't have to do a lot of sleep training but I do think that sometimes we can get in the way of our own babies sleeping. It is tough to let them cry a little bit but you'll be thankful when she's older and you can just put her in the crib and walk away without having to do the whole rock to sleep song and dance. though the whole sleep training bit does make me nervous about baby #2.

    And yup--totally relate to plaything mom. I get NOTHING done when I'm hanging out with Elle. She could be totally absorbed in something else but as soon as I sit down I'm a magnet for baby fingers. Relish those longer naps. ;)

    Can't wait for month 8!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!