26 May 2014

Armchair BEA: Hello, Hola, Konnichiwa, Aloha

I am so excited to be participating in Armchair BEA this year (while still being remarkably jealous of those who get to attend the physical convention). :)

Today, we have introductory questions:

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from?  I am Trisha, a mother and college professor. I started blogging way back in January of 2007, and my primary motivation then (and now) was to keep track of the the books I've read and how I felt about them.

What was your favorite book read last year? What’s your favorite book so far this year? Picking a favorite is definitely not my specialty, but this year's top contenders so far are Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita and Maggie Stiefvater's The Dream Thieves. Last year, I really enjoyed Seraphina by Rachel Hartman and The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien.

Describe your blog in just one sentence. Then, list your social details -- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. -- so we can connect more online. A lacking-for-time mother and professor randomly shares her thoughts on books and her kid. Twitter: Trish422  GoodReads: EclecticEccentric  LibraryThing: EclecticEccentric  Pinterest: Trish422

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 books would you bring? Why? What 3 non-book items would you bring? Why? The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Dante's Inferno, and War and Peace. The reasons are simple: 1. These are long, complicated works, and you definitely want something that will take some time if you are stranded. 2. I really, really love Dante's Inferno. 3. This may be the only way I'll read War and Peace despite the fact it's been sitting on my shelves for well over a decade.

What do you think of when you think of literature? Classics, contemporary, genre, or something else entirely? 

I start every semester in my Introduction to Literature course with this very idea: What is literature? How do we define it? What assumptions do we make about works that are/are not classified as literature? For me - and my students - the word literature automatically invokes the canon, older works that consistently make their way into school curricula. After that, it's just "old stuff", any work written before roughly 1920. Once I think about the definition of literature though, I realize that I'm not defining the term, I'm just assigning books based on remarkably simple criteria - date of publication/popularity of the work.

Terry Eagleton's text Literary Theory begins with an introduction titled "What is Literature" and I always defer to that in my own thinking. There is no true definition; it is a socially constructed category that is defined by the books included. It is fluid. And often "literature" is something you know it when you read it but you can't fully explain why. Anymore I've fallen into the idea that it is all literature - anything written with a semblance of plot. It's just some of it is good literature and some of it isn't.

I can't wait to read all - well, maybe not all, I mean there's A LOT of participants - of your introductory posts and see what you think about literature!

15 comments:

  1. So glad you're participating this year, Trisha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that: "literature" is something you know it when you read it but you can't fully explain why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this definition too. I'd never really thought about it, but this fits so perfectly!

      Delete
  3. I am taking part in ArmChair BEA this year too since I can't make the trek to NYC... Your not the only jealous one... I am sure we will have just as much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great way to think of literature. I still need to read the Dream Thieves. I have it, but just have to get around to it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Lolita waaaaaay up my summer reading list this year, so I hope I love it as much as you did! (And several other people whose opinions I trust, which definitely bodes well...) I share your approach to desert island reading, I think - "what's the longest?" Not only do long books by definition last longer, but if you DO end up stranded for years and years, they're also more likely to have something to offer during multiple rereadings. Keepin' it practical over here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! I love it. "This might be the only way I'll read War and Peace." Yea, it's not high on my list, either. I tried to watch the movie once and fell asleep 30 minutes in. And I love Audrey Hepburn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just skip the war chapters and it's a breeze! ;)

      Delete
  7. What an interesting post. I love your definition of literature. Good choices of books to bring to a desert island. They should keep you very busy for a long time.
    AH@badassbookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your thoughts on literature. Trying to define it is so difficult, especially the closer to the present-day. Was Philip K. Dick considered literature? Ray Bradbury? Many wrote them off as pulp, when today some of that same work is considered seminal. When does a work cross that line? So, so hard to tell, that it's perhaps best to just go by gut. You feel it for yourself.

    Looking forward to more of your BEA posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Things They Carried was one of my favorites from last year too! I didn't pick deserted island books, but after visiting lots of blogs, I might have to steal two of yours (Shakespeare and Dante) and one from Heather (survival guide) and call myself done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love The Dream Thieves and Seraphina and can't wait to read more of both series! Lolita wasn't my favorite (I found the pacing a bit slow), but I did think it was a worthwhile read since it was so different from anything I'd read before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever tried listening to Jeremy Irons narrate it? His voice is something else, and it really draws you in to the story.

      Delete
  11. I have The Dream Thieves but haven't read it or Raven Boys yet....
    Great meeting you though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had War and Peace on my shelves for a couple of years... I think the only way I would read it is on a desert island too!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!